Airbus A380 Superjumbo To Make Stop In Bangkok

george

Airbus superjumbo to make stop in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Airbus announced that its A380, the world's largest aircraft, will make its first visit to Thailand even as the country's flag carrier is reconsidering its order of the jets.

The French-made superjumbo is due to touch down at Bangkok's new Suvarabhumi airport on December 5, said Kanuwong Phubordin, a spokesman for Airbus' public relations firm in Bangkok.

The surprise visit comes after an around-the-world safety trial, which included stops over the past two weeks in Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul and Sydney.

'Airbus considers it important to present the A380 to all of its major clients in the Asia-Pacific region before the end of the year,' Anthony Phillips, a Singapore-based Airbus spokesman, said in a statement.

He said Airbus is also keen to look into the capabilities and facilities at Bangkok's new international airport, which opened on September 28.

The A380 will stay at Suvarabhumi until December 7 on a visit that aims to boost the image of superjumbo the after delays in production and delivery.

Thai Airways International is considering whether to cancel an order of six A380s, the shipment of which has been postponed by two years.

Of the six ordered, the first three are scheduled for delivery in 2011, delayed from 2009. No delivery date has been set for the remaining three aircraft.

The Bangkok Post newspaper quoted Thai Airways' executives as saying they would make their final decision on the A380 orders by February next year.

Thai Airways had planned to use the superjumbos on some of its most popular routes, flying from Bangkok to Frankfurt, London and Tokyo.

--forbes.com 2006-11-30

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Landing on December 5th, someone at Airbus has done their research.

:o

They could always leave it at the airport as a Birthday present to H.M.

May help Thai Airways reconsider their reconsideration.

Apart from Fed Ex ..no other airline has actually CANCELLED their orders. :D They are all moaning like buggery for the delays and complaining that it will affect their future plans ,payloads ,profits etc. and aare suggesting compensation but as said no cancellations.

We all know something like this needs a bit more work on it (especially to get the in flights interactive media thingys working properly..internet/telephone/ game boys/ Tvs /videos all singing and dancing ...etc)and of course ALL of the airlines want them.

If however say Thai did cancel whats the chance that the likes of B.A would jump in and take up the order..(at the mo.... got None) Thai would then be a the back of the q and even if they changed their minds would maybe have to wait ...wot...20 years..... :D

Can you imagine TG still flying their old Rust Buckets and trying to convince everyone .."as smoth as for sandpaper" for.another........>>>??

Its not too far in the future when Emirates will take delivery of ...46 of them. :o to compliment the new Dubai Airport that will have 6 runways and transit up to 150 million passengers a year.....

...almost another 25,000 sex tourists winging into Patti every trip......and thats only the one airline......

.look out Suwanna..... :D The future is big...its.....................

I can read the headlines now: Worlds Largest Plane breaks new airport's cracked runways, Thai(s) forced to reopen Don Muang. :o

Ah-ha the technically challenged ! :D

It will be landing light as it will not be carrying any great loads.

I don't know the LCN(Load classification number) but looking at the undercarriage

I doubt whether there will be any problems.

The A380 flies very well. It has just done some crosswind trials in Iceland.

It dealt with a 43 knot! crosswind without any trouble.

I still can't figure out how Airbus got their knickers in a twist over the wiring?

Or their wiring in a twist over their knickers? :D

Oh good, I can hardly wait for that thing to fly over my place!

The 380 just landed in Vancouver BC Canada ...I was visiting a friend that lives close to the airport...we watched it land and suprizingly it was one of the quiestest planes I have ever watched land.My friend was under the same impression as you ...something that big must be loud..it`s not.I would still hate to be coming thru customs the same time a couple of those monsters come in.

Sounds like now would be a good time to add some inclusionaries to your existing homeowners policy; and more directly under "Catastrophic Occurrances not only inclusive of manmade phenomena called 'destructions or damages,' but any non-directs involving government directed or assisted wherewithin the policy holder will be deemed non intervening and nondescript as being of a recipiant of all recourses or recoveries or assessments and any monetary compensations."

An A380 falls into this matrix.

Oh good, I can hardly wait for that thing to fly over my place!

The 380 just landed in Vancouver BC Canada ...I was visiting a friend that lives close to the airport...we watched it land and suprizingly it was one of the quiestest planes I have ever watched land.My friend was under the same impression as you ...something that big must be loud..it`s not.I would still hate to be coming thru customs the same time a couple of those monsters come in.

That's how Airbus won over Singapore Airlines. Singapore wanted a quiet aircraft because Heathrow was giving more landing spots to quieter aircraft. Airbus was able to sling huge engines under the wings of the A380 that Boeing couldn't fit under the 747. The larger fans feeding the engine make the aircraft quieter because the air coming in is distributed over a wide area. (Much of the shriek you hear from older aircraft or military jets is from the air being sucked into the front of the engine through a narrow space, not blasting out the back). The flaps are also a design that is much quieter on landing when the air flowing around the aircraft makes more noise than the engines.

Oh, thanks, but I don't believe any of you! I am sorry but airplanes flying over ones house are noisy. Unless this thing is quieter than a single engine plane, it's going to disturb me, as do ALL the other planes.

Fortunately, I am not on the main flight path, so it's not constant.

At any rate, I am sure it's a marvel of engineering and the neatest thing since sliced bread. I just don't like any of them flying over my place!

Oh, thanks, but I don't believe any of you! I am sorry but airplanes flying over ones house are noisy. Unless this thing is quieter than a single engine plane, it's going to disturb me, as do ALL the other planes.

Fortunately, I am not on the main flight path, so it's not constant.

At any rate, I am sure it's a marvel of engineering and the neatest thing since sliced bread. I just don't like any of them flying over my place!

So why didn't you choose a different place to live? :o

December 5th is a holiday in Thailand, just imagine all the Thais who will be heading to Suvarnabhumi to take a look at the "Super Jumbo". If you are flying from Suvarnabhumi on the 5th I suggest you give yourself plenty of time, the traffic may well be horrendous.

How many of you actually believe that "wiring" is the reason for the delay?

I watched a Discovery Channel episode on the flutter test. I was beside myself when they showed that the composite body almost came apart during the test. The body actually did come loose from some of its fasteners and moved.

I was originally excited to fly on the A380 Now, well I just think its a Scarebus. I can do without getting on one of those for the first few years of operation.

Wiring. yeah, right!!!! It takes you 2 years to get the wiring right? OK!!!

December 5th is a holiday in Thailand, just imagine all the Thais who will be heading to Suvarnabhumi to take a look at the "Super Jumbo". If you are flying from Suvarnabhumi on the 5th I suggest you give yourself plenty of time, the traffic may well be horrendous.

Is not Dec 5 also the Kings Birthday?

Thanks,

Randy

How many of you actually believe that "wiring" is the reason for the delay?

I watched a Discovery Channel episode on the flutter test. I was beside myself when they showed that the composite body almost came apart during the test. The body actually did come loose from some of its fasteners and moved.

I was originally excited to fly on the A380 Now, well I just think its a Scarebus. I can do without getting on one of those for the first few years of operation.

Wiring. yeah, right!!!! It takes you 2 years to get the wiring right? OK!!!

Have you actually seen French wiring???

Yes I saw that documentary too, they were testing the aircraft’s maximum window of operation, they were flying in a manor that the plane should never be flown in normal use, a part failed, there was a bang and… the aeroplane did not instantly break up mid air, it landed safely, no one was hurt, they looked at the part that failed, re engineered it, and the plane was flying within a few days.

Personaly I am looking forward to my first flight on a A380. :o

BB

:D-->

QUOTE(Basil B @ 2006-12-01 21:01:50)

Yes I saw that documentary too, they were testing the aircraft’s maximum window of operation, they were flying in a manor that the plane should never be flown in normal use, a part failed, there was a bang and… the aeroplane did not instantly break up mid air, it landed safely, no one was hurt, they looked at the part that failed, re engineered it, and the plane was flying within a few days.

Personaly I am looking forward to my first flight on a A380. :D

Me too. Though the chicken little brigade will always take a sliver of info, blow it all out of porportion and say that it's a flying deathtrap. These are the same panic-stricken people who get killed off in disaster movies. If I don't have to share an aircraft cabin with them, all the better. :o

This Titanic of a plane is a bigger boondoggle than the Concorde - Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner will take the entire market.

http://newairplane.com/

Check out the huge porthole windows :>

The B787 is quite an adventure for Boeing. They are normally very cautious, the amount of plastic (carbon fibre etc)in the aircraft is a first for civil aviation. Apparently the dihedral in flight will be spectacular. I wonder if that will change the aerodynamics ?

I said to a senior Boeing executive,"What's the point of the big windows when the stewardess comes around and insists they are closed an hour and a half into the flight?"

The competitor to the Boeing B787 is the Airbus A350XWB, not the A380.

Q & A : A380 Delays

Edited by Hermano Lobo

I can read the headlines now: Worlds Largest Plane breaks new airport's cracked runways, Thai(s) forced to reopen Don Muang. :D

Ah-ha the technically challenged ! :D

It will be landing light as it will not be carrying any great loads.

I don't know the LCN(Load classification number) but looking at the undercarriage

I doubt whether there will be any problems.

The A380 flies very well. It has just done some crosswind trials in Iceland.

It dealt with a 43 knot! crosswind without any trouble.

I still can't figure out how Airbus got their knickers in a twist over the wiring?

Or their wiring in a twist over their knickers? :D

Did you ever own a Peugeot 405, or Citroen ZX with the full electric pack? If so, you have answered your own question... :o