Interactive whiteboard choices

nellyp

My school is going to install interactive whiteboards, and I was wondering if  readers here have any opinions or preferences for hardware and software. We are trialling an epson interactive projector at the moment, but we are looking for alternatives. We are having a bit of trouble finding suppliers who will give product support, but that is not my main concern. I am concerned that we do not have time to trial every option, and that is why I would appriciate some views from the people who actually use the boards.

Thanks in advance

Promethean are very good and have a  great resource section. But with interactive whiteboards whilst nice are expensive. If money is no option then great. If it is then a normal projector using active inspire is almost as good and extremely cheaper.

I also agree training and support is essential and teachers need to feel confident in using them.

If you look at the research the evidence is still inconclusive as whether they actually improve learning. They certainly add a different dimension to teaching, look well and a great selling point butt teachers either use them exclusively or rarely. A happy balance should be found in my opinion. 

We are a little worried that there is no support mechanism for Promethian as we do not think there is an actual supplier in Thailand. Does it come with education software, or is that bought as a package

1 hour ago, nellyp said:

We are a little worried that there is no support mechanism for Promethian as we do not think there is an actual supplier in Thailand. Does it come with education software, or is that bought as a package

Yes bought in Thailand with support.  I have had it for 8 years and the supplier came out on a few occasions that I needed them too. The software Active Inspire comes with it and then you get a username and password for the website to download the resources.

the software you can put on normal computers and use with projectors. Very good.

22 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes bought in Thailand with support.  I have had it for 8 years and the supplier came out on a few occasions that I needed them too. The software Active Inspire comes with it and then you get a username and password for the website to download the resources.

the software you can put on normal computers and use with projectors. Very good.

Great. Thanks a lot for that. Do you have the whiteboard or the LCD panel? A bit worried about the panel becoming damaged with kids proding it. i have had a look for a supplier but had no luck (Looks like China). It's a longshot, but do you know the supplier? I was also wondering about using a document camera, and about saving whiteboard screens

Just now, nellyp said:

Great. Thanks a lot for that. Do you have the whiteboard or the LCD panel? A bit worried about the panel becoming damaged with kids proding it. i have had a look for a supplier but had no luck (Looks like China). It's a longshot, but do you know the supplier? I was also wondering about using a document camera, and about saving whiteboard screens

We have 3 whiteboards. They are from China but a supplier here came and fitted them

As it happens I just found the card in my desk. Will send you a message with details.

Archived