May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

3 hours ago, pitrevie said:
3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You can dress this up any way and as much as you want, but the bald facts are that we got old German machinery and Germany got new machinery paid for by the USA. Us getting new machinery paid for by the USA was never an option. 

Try looking at how much assistance the UK received under the same plan as Germany you might be better informed, but I doubt it will make any difference.

The largest recipient of Marshall Plan money was the United Kingdom (receiving about 26% of the total), followed by France (18%) and West Germany (11%).

let's apologise that we spoil Khun Han's interesting fairy tales with hard facts :jap:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Oh dear, dear, dear! It would appear I am having a discussion with someone who has difficulty understanding time zones. And that is sad. eg 3am Thailand time is at the same time about 3pm US Eastern Seaboard time. They are concurrent not sequential. Back to school for you!

Just a polite request regarding your posts in the thread.

Often, you post some interesting points that are worthy of further research in this subject but then you start patronising other FMs and being very condescending as if you are trying to say that you are far more intelligent than they are.

Stick to your points and links and you may well find others will try to see you point of view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Oh dear, dear, dear! It would appear I am having a discussion with someone who has difficulty understanding time zones. And that is sad. eg 3am Thailand time is at the same time about 3pm US Eastern Seaboard time. They are concurrent not sequential. Back to school for you!

No, I'm the one having a discussion with someone who has difficulty understanding time zones and their relevance. The US raised interest rates on Wednesday. That's Wednesday in the US, where the rates were raised. That's early hours in Thailand, as you know, but you try to equate this with the event only having happened two days ago. It didn't. It happened three days ago (or almost three days ago when we started this daft discussion.

And that was my original point. I would have expected the markets to settle after one or two days, because they usually do after this kind of news. And that's why I asked you a genuine question about there maybe being another reason why Sterling was still rising a few hours ago. But you decided to be facetious and go off on one. Never mind.

5 hours ago, Khun Han said:

But the USA didn't rebuild our industrial plant, did it? As pointed out by Bill, it was quite the opposite: we were paying the USA back for their help for donkeys years

Our final payments werent cleared until this century. I have no idea how long the access powers or Russia fared after the war but I suspect they were in the clear long before the Brits.

The second red herring I'd like to purge while I'm at it is TIME! If posters really want to get excited over such nonsense they should sign off with a DTG or revert to GMT.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:
5 hours ago, pitrevie said:
5 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You can dress this up any way and as much as you want, but the bald facts are that we got old German machinery and Germany got new machinery paid for by the USA. Us getting new machinery paid for by the USA was never an option. 

Try looking at how much assistance the UK received under the same plan as Germany you might be better informed, but I doubt it will make any difference.

The largest recipient of Marshall Plan money was the United Kingdom (receiving about 26% of the total), followed by France (18%) and West Germany (11%).

let's apologise that we spoil Khun Han's interesting fairy tales with hard facts :jap:

Did Germany have to pay the USA for the war effort? The UK did.

Did Germany have to take a £4.3bn loan from the USA to stop themselves from going bankrupt due to the war effort? The UK did.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Did Germany have to take a £4.3bn loan from the USA to stop themselves from going bankrupt due to the war effort?

Germany did go bankrupt due to the insane war "efforts" of her imported Austrian megalomaniac Adolf Hitler.

off "tough talk" topic, ancient facts. Britain could have remained like Switzerland, Spain and Portugal untouched by the war in Europe without declaring war vs. Germany.

The Declaration of war by France and the United Kingdom was given on 3 September 1939, after German forces invaded Poland.

wiki

26 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Did Germany have to pay the USA for the war effort? The UK did.

Did Germany have to take a £4.3bn loan from the USA to stop themselves from going bankrupt due to the war effort? The UK did.

This is so embarrassing.

Look, for starters, German fatalities were 20x ours.

We and the Americans utterly destroyed German cities, latterly out of spite.

Then WE needed the Germans as a bulwark against the Soviets

Look, WW2 was a "good war" as A J P Taylor said. But we don't want a re-run.

The Germans have done damn well and I like the country

Maybe the UK should emulate some of their successful ideas? Not just technological training and quality engineering. What about housing policy? One thing that has bankrupted the U.K. Is residential property inflation. Why build a business when you can build wealth just living in a house (not a very good one)?  The Germans have long had a solid rental system not like the sleazy UK system. Build a new house? You are incentivised to include a "granny flat". These people are civilised.

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Naam said:

off "tough talk" topic, ancient facts. Britain could have remained like Switzerland, Spain and Portugal untouched by the war in Europe without declaring war vs. Germany.

16 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Here we go again with those subtle little attempts to subvert history. Sure, everything would have been hunky dory if we hadn't spoiled the Germans' party :crazy:.

He continues to think it is a trump card whereas in fact it is a rotten apple.

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

Have you always been anti-British?

If you look at his posting history, you will find that he sometimes comes up with very good points but then destroys his own arguments with irrelevant content.

In fairness,  English is obviously not his natural language and I would imagine he is very young and has not had much experience of life so allowances have to be made.

I sometimes understand what he is trying to say but his English is so bad that I am not sure.

Germany, like Japan, continued the war long after their number was up. The allies did to them what they tried to do to Britain: bomb them into submission. The reasoning was that lives saved by shortening the war made it a valid tactic.

Of course, there have always been certain types of German people, and their sycophants from other countries, who try to demonise the allies and rewrite the history of the war.

Germany, like Japan, continued the war long after their number was up. The allies did to them what they tried to do to Britain: bomb them into submission. The reasoning was that lives saved by shortening the war made it a valid tactic.

Of course, there have always been certain types of German people, and their sycophants from other countries, who try to demonise the allies and rewrite the history of the war.

22 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Quote Grouse  "We and the Americans utterly destroyed German cities, latterly out of spite."

I think the people of Coventry and parts of London might have a reply on that point.

A question of balance. Read up on it and revert. B-

24 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Quote Grouse  "We and the Americans utterly destroyed German cities, latterly out of spite."

I think the people of Coventry and parts of London might have a reply on that point.

There were some historical photos on the Manchester Evening News website recently of the results of Luftwaffe bombing of Manchester city centre. The Christmas 1940 raids comprised of about 450 waves of attacks over a 30 hour period, and the loss of civilian life and property destruction was substantial. This location had no heavy industry at the time, but was heavily populated.

10 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

There were some historical photos on the Manchester Evening News website recently of the results of Luftwaffe bombing of Manchester city centre. The Christmas 1940 raids comprised of about 450 waves of attacks over a 30 hour period, and the loss of civilian life and property destruction was substantial. This location had no heavy industry at the time, but was heavily populated.

is that perhaps one of the reasons why May is prepared for tough talks? :huh:

1945 - 1959

A peaceful Europe – the beginnings of cooperation

The European Union is set up with the aim of ending the frequent and bloody wars between neighbours, which culminated in the Second World War. As of 1950, the European Coal and Steel Community begins to unite European countries economically and politically in order to secure lasting peace. The six founding countries are Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

From resistance fighters to lawyers, the Founding Fathers were a diverse group of people who held the same ideals: a peaceful, united and prosperous Europe.

Lest we forget!

• Like 1

I hope this works but I see more lawyers and other "do gooders" sticking their oar in and it ending up in the courts again.

It's about time people realised that the HoC is the ONLY elected chamber representing the citizens of the UK that we have.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781048/Theresa-May-Henry-VIII-convert-EU-law-Brexit

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Don't want to come across as a plastic moderator here, but whilst there's nowt wrong with a bit of banter, let's not spoil the debate by getting too personal.

Or posting off subject?   555

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

Have you always been anti-British?

I think you misunderstand my contribution. Please read again, a little more slowly please and see who and what I am referencing before jumping to the wrong conclusion. If you manage to do so you will see that I am commenting to Khun Han about Naam's offering.

Edited by SheungWan