Anyway I could make money while staying in Thailand ?

Dave Ramsey

25 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Funny, but I have no problem understanding spoken American, in movies or TV shows, yet nearly all the English shows require subtitles for me to understand. Why is that? The English either mumble badly, have unintelligible accents, or speak with a mouth full of marbles.

Clearly you've become so used to American accents that you no longer understand true English. The 2 languages have now become separate and Americans should no longer call their language English. I have exactly the problem you describe when attempting to watch something on Universal or SyFy channels.

I also have problems reading books by American authors who use some words not used at all in English (e.g. stoop, stucco) and I'm still not sure what these are.

There is an ad on radio fabulous 103 spoken by an American advertising the radio show and it certainly sounds like radio paddear which I assume should be Pattaya. There are many instances of mis-pronunciation but that's enough here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Funny, but I have no problem understanding spoken American, in movies or TV shows, yet nearly all the English shows require subtitles for me to understand. Why is that? The English either mumble badly, have unintelligible accents, or speak with a mouth full of marbles.

EE by eck lad whats tha talking about :cheesy:

6 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

Clearly you've become so used to American accents that you no longer understand true English. The 2 languages have now become separate and Americans should no longer call their language English. I have exactly the problem you describe when attempting to watch something on Universal or SyFy channels.

I also have problems reading books by American authors who use some words not used at all in English (e.g. stoop, stucco) and I'm still not sure what these are.

There is an ad on radio fabulous 103 spoken by an American advertising the radio show and it certainly sounds like radio paddear which I assume should be Pattaya. There are many instances of mis-pronunciation but that's enough here.

What is "true" English? What they speak in Somerset, Manchester, London, or any of the 48 counties? Unfortunately I don't have enough time left to live in all 48 counties so I can get a grip on the local accents, I prefer to listen to programs that I can understand.

Edited by giddyup

5 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Yes. Because you're not used to their accents. 

You keep saying that, but if an accent is so strong that only those who speak it understand each other, then I would say that's not clear English. Even the British have problems understanding those from other counties.

Not in Thailand at least legally.

But I spent years working outside of Thailand on international contracts for many American companies and rerurning every year or so for a sort "vacation" in Thailand.

Then when my money was getting low,  leaving Thailand for another intrnational contract.

When my money was back uo to a reasonable level, it ws time for another "vacation" in Thailand again.

But after a few cycles even that does get "old" over and over.

My trade was elecronics communications systems mainttennance.

Ended up in computer systems troubleshooting,

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Dear OP,just do what the Aussie guys do when they come to the UK and live in Earls court.

Just go to any bar and ask if you can jump behind for a few hours a night.If you are young and good looking with a gift of the gab,you will employed straight away.

The money and tips are excellent,and at the end of the evening you get a free trip to the police station,with the good old boys of the RTP who will take care of you while you are there.They might possibly ask for a small tip to see you safely out.

Please let me know how you get on.

On 10/25/2016 at 8:51 AM, Saastrajaa said:

Keep in mind, OP, that a lot of the responses to your post here, are, as the Brits like to say in their quaint, often incomprehensible version of English, "taking the piss"...that means they're being <deleted> and mocking you to your face.

On 10/26/2016 at 3:56 PM, wump said:

Guys this is a newbie and he was asking legitimate question and most of you are only taking the piss. True, he is a lazy bugger for not using the search function but maybe you could tell him that instead of making him feel unwelcome.

Shame on you... get a life :post-4641-1156693976:

Dear me, no guessing where you pair are from. Zero sense of humour gives it away.

For the non-trolls (including possibly the op), as one could deduce, this ain't the place to look for work. Having said that, I have seen farang pouring pints in bars (for Thai wages), farang teaching and farang doing stuff online. 

On 10/27/2016 at 10:41 AM, giddyup said:

No, because I find that the Americans tend to speak more clearly than the English, accent or not. I also find that Americans are far more articulate than the English.

I generally also think the average yank speaks more clearly than the average Brit, but you're comparing apples with oranges. It could be said that a reason for this may be down to the love of one's own voice and that being loud and 'always acting' are typical hallmarks of the former. What trumps this generality is when you have a well spoken Englishman (no, not plumbs in mouths) and an 'articulate' (lol) Yank, the lack of refinement in the latter is deafening. An accentless, well spoken English voice is the purest form of this wonderful language we share... and even a Yank doing a really good Englishman can sound high-end. :wink:

Won't be surprised if this gets deleted for using a certain alternative 'merican word as some quarters on TV are easily offended. OK to bash the Brits, but. :wink:

Edited by daveAustin
spelling

On 27/10/2016 at 11:06 AM, giddyup said:

What is "true" English? What they speak in Somerset, Manchester, London, or any of the 48 counties? Unfortunately I don't have enough time left to live in all 48 counties so I can get a grip on the local accents, I prefer to listen to programs that I can understand.

That's fine. Not a problem. Just don't call it English because it isn't. Last I heard there were many regional accents in America. As there are in most countries.

7 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

That's fine. Not a problem. Just don't call it English because it isn't. Last I heard there were many regional accents in America. As there are in most countries.

What? Americans don't speak english? 

What language are we typing in now? 

On 10/27/2016 at 11:03 AM, hugh2121 said:

Honestly sounds like you may have a learning disability or something. I can easily read books with authors from other countries. UK, South Africa, Australia, Europe, as long as its english (the language we are typing in now) I can easily define a word I don't recognize in the context in witch its used. 

Americans should no longer call their English, English? Are you capable of understanding how retarded that is? 

Edited by Strange

21 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

I'm interested to hear what you call "English", is it spoken by any native Englishman no matter what county he comes from? If that's the case you have many dialects all calling themselves English, and half of them unintelligible to the rest of the "English" speaking world.

On 10/27/2016 at 11:00 AM, SoiBiker said:

Yes. Because you're not used to their accents. 

Nobody is used to your accents other than your own people. 

Everywhere I have worked in Oil & Gas, all over, with people from all over, have a hard time understanding you guys. Give them a radio to try and talk into and its even worse. 

Im constantly told I'm easy to understand by non native english speakers and have no problem being understood by any other native english speakers. 

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

Everywhere I have worked in Oil & Gas, all over, with people from all over, have a hard time understanding you guys. Give them a radio to try and talk into and its even worse. 

Im constantly told I'm easy to understand by non native english speakers and have no problem being understood by any other native english speakers. 

That's my point, I can understand all American accents no matter what state they come from, can't say the same for English accents.

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's my point, I can understand all American accents no matter what state they come from, can't say the same for English accents.

Same, I got no problem understanding the Aussies, News, Books, TV, people talking, no problem. UK stuff not so much. 

Some just don't want to accept that english, as a language, has outgrown the UK. India has a larger population of english speakers than all of the UK combined. The US is has the largest population of native english speakers worldwide. 

Anyway, I don't know anyone that can understand an english accent better than anyone else, unless they are english. 

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

Same, I got no problem understanding the Aussies, News, Books, TV, people talking, no problem. UK stuff not so much. 

Some just don't want to accept that english, as a language, has outgrown the UK. India has a larger population of english speakers than all of the UK combined. The US is has the largest population of native english speakers worldwide. 

Anyway, I don't know anyone that can understand an english accent better than anyone else, unless they are english. 

Half the UK population are speaking something other than English anyway, so god knows what English will sound like in 50 years.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Half the UK population are speaking something other than English anyway, so god knows what English will sound like in 50 years.

But hey I guess the UK are the only ones that are allowed to call it "english"

Wut yer dooin wif me <deleted> hurr durr yanks hurr durr queens english hurr durr 

9 hours ago, Strange said:

I'm sure you met some real sophisticates.

Just now, SoiBiker said:

I'm sure you met some real sophisticates.

I have. Some real smart engineers and draftsman. Real smart, incredibly educated oil company CEO's & CFO's. PTT, Shell, BP, Total, you name it. Billion dollar projects. 20,000 Metric Ton installations offshore with some real smart people involved. Sophisticates from your beloved homeland, mine, and just about everywhere else. 

But yeah, you probably don't want to start a debate with me about this. You already revealed yourself as an uninformed buster who thinks "Offshore" is a bunch of dirty rednecks. 

And still, nobody understands you guys and I usually have a non native english speaker following me around asking "what did he say?"

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Perhaps you, & also others who have posted, don't have dialects?

Tell me from what source, have you obtained this aforementioned 50% ?

No, didn't think you could.

All so dreadfully ignorant, if truth be told.

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Dreadfully Ignorant? In what way? You chumps are a serious minority nowadays. 

We don't have dialects, we have accents. 

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

"Chumps" ? What a delightful word.

And you don't have dialects? Bollerques.

One might suggest that you're yet another person that likes to post seditious comments, without self reflection.

*Whoosh*

:smile:

Just now, faraday said:

"Chumps" ? What a delightful word.

And you don't have dialects? Bollerques.

One might suggest that you're yet another person that likes to post seditious comments, without self reflection.

*Whoosh*

:smile:

You seem tickled by your own perceived cleverness. 

You should look up the definitions for "dialect" and "accent"

Self reflection? Naw, I'm good. Been around long enough to know when Im debating an old-timer. 

Its past your bedtime. 

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

You seem tickled by your own perceived cleverness. 

You should look up the definitions for "dialect" and "accent"

Self reflection? Naw, I'm good. Been around long enough to know when Im debating an old-timer. 

Its past your bedtime. 

Noblesse oblige.

Goodnight blud.

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Poetic licence, the UK actually has around 8 million migrants, or 8% of the population.  Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.