Is this a decent TEFL school?

There is no college called the Asian College of Teachers.

I believe this website is owned by the Indian guy who runs American Tesol International (ATI). It's just a marketing company run from a laptop. They sell the customer to actual training schools.

A 5-minute visit to their website and Google turned up this.

Their London, and I guess Singapore, address is an accommodation address.

http://www.companieshousedata.co.uk/a/69

They use it to collect mail.

They only have phone numbers for their Bangkok and Indian 'locations'.

Pebble Hills University is one of the universities listed on their accreditation page.

This from wikipedia:

"Pebble Hills University, Italy; a police fraud investigation revealed that the university's "headquarters" in Seborga, Italy is a room in a building used as a cellar, also the home of ten other diploma mills: Saint Bernard University, Eurasia Community College, Instituto Latinoamericano de Psicobiofisica – I.L.A.P.; St. Paul Ottawa College & University, Phoenix International University Europe, West Coast University – WCU; The International University; Miranda International University; Marquis Open University; and James Monroe International University[7]"

http://www.asiancollegeofteachers.com/accreditation.php

Google the other names on that page for similar results.

Their About Us page has very little specific information about them - no names of the owners, dean, board of academics, alumni etc.

http://www.asiancollegeofteachers.com/our-story-and-history.php

Their 'Governing Body' page has no specific information about their governing body - no names etc.

http://www.asiancollegeofteachers.com/governing-body.php

caveat emptor

Nice work Loaded, but I'm not sure it's much different from the other "TEFL Schools". The TEFL provides you with experience and interaction with others considering a teaching gig. Why it's priced in western terms remains the big mystery. A good TEFL course should be about $200.usd, not $1000.usd up. 

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Nice work Loaded, but I'm not sure it's much different from the other "TEFL Schools". The TEFL provides you with experience and interaction with others considering a teaching gig. Why it's priced in western terms remains the big mystery. A good TEFL course should be about $200.usd, not $1000.usd up. 

You have an original way of thinking.

A good TEFL shouldn't be cheap. There are experienced trainers, admin staff, facilities and licensing costs to cover. A good TEFL will give as much information about its licensing and accreditation as well as trainers, staff and building on its website. A good TEFL will include teaching practices at local schools. A good TEFL course provides effective training.

People do not need to take a TEFL course to work legally in Thailand; but if they are considering taking a TEFL course that will effectively prepare them for the Thai EFL classroom, they should do their research. Testimonials on 3rd party sites usually tell you whether their trainees feel they were trained effectively. That's a start.

Personally, I recommend people to take a TEFL course, preferably in Thailand.   I have had very good luck with teachers who have a TEFL, they are prepared to be turned lose in a classroom with minimal supervision and can handle all but the worst situations which come their way.  

Whether you have a good curriculum, a poor curriculum or no curriculum, most of them are prepared to implement it as needed.  

On 10/28/2016 at 6:26 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Do you have a link to some of these quality courses for $200?

6 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Do you have a link to some of these quality courses for $200?

There aren't any...that was the point.....you are paying too much at $1000.usd upwards. Or, as is the real truth, you are getting ripped off. Take it for what it's worth muz attack artist murray.....you are either a teacher or you aren't. 

Archived