Bangkok: Ideas For Cheap Hotels In The Old City For People Who Just Like To Walk.

jarman_ah

We have been looking very carefully at all the recommendations for cheap hotels or guest houses, but I still can't find exactly what we are after.

Most of the recommendations are based on two main criteria:

one, they are close to great shopping areas, such as Sukhumvit and Silom. Now, we don't really want to go to Bangkok for five nights and use up our time in the shops! I can shop back here in Sydney, we're not into "fake" bargains, and souvenirs are just too much trouble to carry and I never know what to do with them when we get back home. So shopping centres are one thing I DON'T need.

two, they are near the Sky Train. Well, that's fine, but it seems that nearly all the areas we want to see are NOT near the Sky Train (or the subway)... all the "around the river" areas and the Grand Palace.... in other words, the Old City. We can't get the Sky Train to there, so this transport is of limited use to us. Anyway, we like to walk; I reckon you can learn much about a city just by strolling around it, hopefully off the worn tourist paths and where there are no Baskin Robbins or Burger Kings.

So, our aim is to find a BUDGET hotel in/near the old city... maybe within walking distance of the Grand Palace and/or the Memorial Bridge (where, apparently, there is a second-hand market that I WOULD like to see, as it's not set up to trap the tourist). But hotels in the old city rarely make the guide books or the internet sites (except for the high-priced "Royal"). Can anyone give me some interesting choices?

I did see one, on one map: the Burapha Hotel. I have a name, location, and a phone number, but no first-hand reports or photos. I'm inclined to take a chance and contact them and just hope that (a) they're budget and (:o it's not a den of white slavers or dope fiends. But some wise words from someone who has actually strolled past it would be MOST welcome!

Thanks for all suggestions!

You have many hotels around this area ! What do you mean be cheap ?

Thai hotel ( rename hotel de' Mol) is 1400 baht

Swana hotel is 1400 bath ( I like this one )

in the corner of wisutcasa / prachatipatai just 15 metres from farmer bank bank is a small hotel aircond for 500 baht .

bit further in the same street an side (wisutcasa) is Trang hotel for 1200 .

( i went there yesterday to ask for price with a friend, they said if you book on line you can get cheaper !)

one hotel i like is on Samen road soi 4 , but to my surprise it is now 1050 baht , i ask why as my hongkong friend stay there before for 480 baht , they said new rooms.

Opposit khaowsan is the temple ( wat chanasongkram ) all along it have guess houses and hotels.

One interesting place , just built along the klong look interesting , the new lodge hotel , walking from khaowsan on samseng road , just passing the bridge , it is along the strip of water !

I live there for a number of years , many place to walk , but as you said transport limited !

If you want under the price suggested , I think have many guess house , but never visit them !

You did said “But hotels in the old city rarely make the guide books or the internet sites (except for the high-priced "Royal").

Looking at the link for royal hotel

http://www.bangkok.com/royal-hotel-bangkok/

I see the price from 1120 baht ( if that is a high price , mine will be too ) but I do not know the reality of the price mention !

Few link

http://www.swanabangkok.com/index.html

Remember it look grandiose as it is ! ( 1400 they told me yesterday ) but they have map of the area

http://www.thailandhotels24.com/khaosan-bangkok-hotels.htm

there are 2 guesthouses on Banglampoo on phra athit, just by the river.

5 minutes walk to the national gallery, 10 minutes to the national museum, 15 minutes (or 1 stop on the river express) to old royal palace.

Double, aircon, ensuite some 400 baht - basic. Some newer and better quality guesthouses in the sois.

Simcity and LondonThai, thank you both VERY much for your replies, which have given me a lot of interesting research to do. It was remiss of me not to give a price, but to just say"cheap".... to clarify, I was hoping to be able to get a family room (two adults and two kids, usually we make do with a triple) for around 800 baht. 1200 or 1400 might be too bis a stretch, unless the place were REALLY special (the Atlanta would be my idea of "special", not one of the ultra-luxury chains that look and feel just like the ones we have at home)... but I will still check out all the sites you mentioned.

I found one guest house that might be interesting: the Guesthouse 238, on Phurat, between Wat Pho and the Pahurat Market. I would be grateful for any assessment of either the guest house (where rooms ranger from 400 to 600 baht) and the area... it's fairly close to the Palace, but I don't know how "habitable" this part of town is!

Thanks again!

if it's on the main street than it's a major road with a lot of traffic and buses - get a room at the back of hotel.

in some (especially chinese) hotels you pay rather per room than per how many guests will sleep.

Londonthai, you did it!

I researched the street you mentioned -- Phra Athit -- and it really seems like exactly what I am after. It's right at a ferry wharf, so I can dart all over the "old" city, it's apparently quite a pleasant street (near several important sights, and within walking distance of the Grand Palace if we decide not to get the ferry), and there are several guest houses and hotels in the streeet that sound like the answer to prayer.

Best sounds like it would be Pra Athit Mansion, but it's also by far the priciest (if you know of any sites that discount it, please let me know!) If I can't have that, I am tossing up between the New Siam II, the Merry V, and the Peachy Guest House. Plus, there's another one quite nearby (on Tr Mayom) called New Joe Guest House, which also looks like exceptional value for money. All of these are now my "short list". Thanks so much for helping me to find them, and if you -- or anyone else -- has any specific comments about these above choices, I would love to hear them.

Thanks once again!

peachy has huge doubles for 150 baht, aircon + bath 400. Has a huge open sitting area.

the new merry V - double fan ensuite 300, aircon 400.

the other newer and more expensive and very often tiny rooms with even smaller bathrooms - stay there for a night or two if there is no space in the above

And again, thanks!

I hope there is a cafe nearby where we can buy something cool and drink a toast to Londonthai!

The New Siam 2 is probably the best overall choice, as it has a swimming pool, a room safe etc. The new rooms at the New Merry V are ok if the price is right.

The Phra Athit road area is quite safe and much nicer than the Khaosan Road with all of it's neon lights..

I'd say if your budget can stretch to it, stick with the New Siam 2. You won't be short of cafes and quaint little restaurants.

Nice little coffee place on the Phra Athit, owned by the same people who own the Ranee Guesthouse on Trok Mayom. Pay them both a visit.

Flew back to Thailand just to have their Red Chicken Curry with Pumpkin. :o

I just read another report on another travel site which agrees with you about Siam 2... looks like I'm on a winner, whether I finally go for this one, Merry V , or Phra Athit Mansion. I guess what it will finally come down to is which one will have either a triple or a quad room.

Thanks again!

Don't confuse the Merry V with the New Merry V. Merry V doesn't have air con rooms.

Another option if New Siam 2 is full is the Rambuttri Village Inn; http://www.khaosan-hotels.com/

There are a lot more young backpackers and revellers around here. It used to be a quiet alternative to the Khaosan Road, but it's been discovered. It's located between the Khaosan Road and the Phra Athit Road.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu