A decline in White Knights in shining armour ?

sanemax

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Allow me to be a bit shallow (i.e., non-PC).  Firstly, are you referring to society of today, or 500 years from now?  Because today, we are all still judged by first appearances, women by looks, men by means.  So yes, a man with an attractive female will be judged more positively than one with an unattractive one.  This is just first impression, which is how we judge people we don't know.  The guy can turn out to be a total loser and the woman a $10 hooker, but that's beside the point.

Maybe that is the first instant impression,. 

When I see a Western guy walking down the street with a Western wife and a few kids in tow , I think "Happy married Family"

When I see a Western guy walking down the street with a younger Thai woman , I think, "Paid for company"

First impressions 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Allow me to be a bit shallow (i.e., non-PC).  Firstly, are you referring to society of today, or 500 years from now?  Because today, we are all still judged by first appearances, women by looks, men by means.  So yes, a man with an attractive female will be judged more positively than one with an unattractive one.  This is just first impression, which is how we judge people we don't know.  The guy can turn out to be a total loser and the woman a $10 hooker, but that's beside the point.

Maybe that is the first instant impression,. 

When I see a Western guy walking down the street with a Western wife and a few kids in tow , I think "Happy married Family"

When I see a Western guy walking down the street with a younger Thai woman , I think, "Paid for company"

First impressions 

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

Well, I wouldnt judge you on the basis of what your gf looked like and I woiuldnt judge her on what she looked like either

You do come across as being extremely shallow .

Theres so much more than looks .

BTW, how would this situation work .

If we turned up at a party and you had a supermodel on your arm, nice to look at, but no brain, can hardly talk and just spend the whole night pouting  and you went home on a bus.

If I turned up at the party, with an ugly girl on my arm, one who owns her own multi national company and who is a self made millionaire and drives a Ferrari and spend the whole nights telling jokes and entertaining people and your supermodel spend the whole night asking you what those big words mean . 

Would you still consider yourself to the "the winner"

That's interesting because it falls prey to stereotypes.

You must know what I'm talking about: if my wife is a model she must be dumb; if your wife is less attractive she's de facto more intelligent.

As you say, there are obviously many other factors, too.

My ex lives and works in Pattani: she has two degrees and worked as a model for Schwarzkopf. Her cousin is one of Thailand's leading experts on tropical diseases. The girl was far from shallow (she's very clever, in fact) and yet wasted her whole life chatting on Line and playing Facebook games. At times I would happily have exchanged her for a less attractive girl with better social skills. But I won't write any more as I still like her and don't wish to be negative about her.   

On 10/28/2016 at 7:13 PM, Fabricus said:

Good advice, but easier said than done.

Almost all farangs marry down.

How many farangs here in Thailand marry successful, independent, career-oriented women who own property? In the rare cases when this does happen, the women in question are generally manky old spinsters that no one else wants. 

Well firstly you are not going to find the type of girl you mentioned in a bar in Pattaya, CM, NaNa, Patong or any bar for that matter and not on Thai Dating websites.

To meet a business professional you have to be in that environment and circles. While I do not consider my wife as marrying "Up", I did marry a successful, independent (Sometimes too much LOL) career women who owns property, house, car and has or should I say had money in the bank(Well not so much anymore as we built our new house together). She clearly did not need me or my money but did want a companion to share life with.  But to me our relationship was just a mutual attraction as it would have been in the US or any other country. 

As to the OP's question, Maybe men are getting wiser and exploit the bar girls for what they are and leave. On the other hand maybe a lot of them are cash strapped in their home country and can't afford to leave let alone come over here and flash C notes around.  

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Well firstly you are not going to find the type of girl you mentioned in a bar in Pattaya, CM, NaNa, Patong or any bar for that matter and not on Thai Dating websites.

To meet a business professional you have to be in that environment and circles. While I do not consider my wife as marrying "Up", I did marry a successful, independent (Sometimes too much LOL) career women who owns property, house, car and has or should I say had money in the bank(Well not so much anymore as we built our new house together). She clearly did not need me or my money but did want a companion to share life with.  But to me our relationship was just a mutual attraction as it would have been in the US or any other country. 

You've done well. Other westerners do well, too.

But I think in percentage terms the figure is very small.

If it's of any interest, possibly the happiest and best matched Thai-farang couple I've seen was in Pattaya. The man was a tattooed Brit, about five foot eight and shaped like a football. His wife was similarly tattooed and hideous. The two of them communicated in grunts, along with eff this, eff that.

They had a pitbull terrier, and shouted at it: "what you effin' lookin' at" and "don't you effin' shit over there". But I don't think the dog understood them.  

3 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

But I think in percentage terms the figure is very small.

I agree based on what is posted on TV. But that data could be tainted a bit. LOL

3 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

The man was a tattooed Brit, about five foot eight and shaped like a football. His wife was similarly tattooed and hideous. The two of them communicated in grunts, along with eff this, eff that.

That's hilarious. Odd couple for sure. But it proves there is somebody for everybody in this world.