Driving A Motorbike In Bangkok

alohatiger

mate i learn to motor cycle in PHUKET!!!! Death capital of the world. I now ride daily in Bkk. something happens everyday, but i have managed to minimize them by being careful. If a vehicle is indicating one way it may actually drive the oppose way. Soi dogs will walk out in front of you! people will drive the wrong way down anything that constitutes a road. Don't forget your previous driver training, but don't expect anyone else to know it either or apply it. Never speed towards stationary traffic as they change lanes with the minimum of looking. Just cos i thai does it, doesnt mean you should. They believe in reincarnation!!!! lots of thais die every year in motorcycle accidents and a few tourists too. but lots of them are drunk and/or young boys.

Fact: The average life expectancy of males in Thailand would rise by 10 YEARS if the Government could reduce the road death to zero.

anyway, happy riding """"(:o@

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere I heard the Soi Dogs are responsible for a large portions of accidents.

I was considering a motorcycle for Bangkok and a friend suggested I go stand near the emergency room at Police General Hospital and watch them drop off the crash victims all day long.

That will make you reconsider.

Hey, been here almost four years and only had five accidents! Two of them, I dumped the bike over of my own doing (stupid maneuvers). The other three, I was hit from behind: another motorcycle, a bus, and a dump truck. Very lucky to still be alive. Despite the previous posters' advice, I watch my rear-view mirrors about 50% of the time. I hate lethal stuff sneaking up from behind.

Somewhere I heard the Soi Dogs are responsible for a large portions of accidents.

I was considering a motorcycle for Bangkok and a friend suggested I go stand near the emergency room at Police General Hospital and watch them drop off the crash victims all day long.

I rode a Kawasaki Boss in Jomtien before I got scared and bought a truck. The Boss was bigger and heavier so it stays up a little better if you do happen to hit a dog. The main thing I learned was if you see a dog that may run in front of you to beep your horn then keep riding in a straight line. More bikes go down trying to avoid hitting a dog and clipping them anyways than from hitting them straight on.

I rode a Kawasaki Boss in Jomtien before I got scared and bought a truck. The Boss was bigger and heavier so it stays up a little better if you do happen to hit a dog. The main thing I learned was if you see a dog that may run in front of you to beep your horn then keep riding in a straight line. More bikes go down trying to avoid hitting a dog and clipping them anyways than from hitting them straight on.

Yeah, that's so weird. The dog will continue to stare at this hunk of metal bearing down on it until it is too late to move. However if you beep your horn, it shifts.

Beware of dogs fighting or sniffing around a bitch on heat, they have other things on their mind. I'm not joking!

More bikes go down trying to avoid hitting a dog and clipping them anyways than from hitting them straight on.

Very good advice.

The last dog I confronted I followed your advice.

Rider: 1

Dog: 0

Edited by toptuan

...fold the mirrors down(use your eyes)...

...the eyes in the back of your head?.... :o

Doesn't make sense to me to always be craning my neck to see what's in back. There's so much happening, so fast, in front of you, that it's foolhardy to take your eyes off the road in front more than a second. The number of people who pull out in front of you, alone, is enough reason to rely on mirrors for only quick glances behind while keeping the front in your periphery. I find I have to be much, much more vigilint here in LOS than in the home country: In front, to the side, behind, and underneath (don't forget the man-eating potholes).

Edited by toptuan

If you sit on a Honda Phantom or a Kawasaki Boss you will discover that the mirrors are much wider apart and that you CAN see behind you. That's just one more good reason to buy a little bigger bike. Yeah, and I know the handlebars are wider and they are not able to slip between cars as easily.

Mods depend on what you ride. If you have a scooter then for less than 5k you can get oversized piston and barrel kits fitted for more poke to move your self confessed large arris away from trouble. You can get Motorcyle ABS fitted for about 300bht! this is very good on the slippy roads out here.

The only other way to make it safer is to buy protective gear. Overseas you can certainly get Jeans with KEvlar protection sewn in and jackets to match. very good and not as hot as leather.

Gloves are key. I have had my Kushitani gloves sent over from the UK, never worn them once!! (d*ckhead!) hand are thwe first ting to suffer and the first thing you'll miss after an accident.

Also, never carry a pillion. simple risk management that doesn't require explanation.

...fold the mirrors down(use your eyes)...

...the eyes in the back of your head?.... :o

Doesn't make sense to me to always be craning my neck to see what's in back. There's so much happening, so fast, in front of you, that it's foolhardy to take your eyes off the road in front more than a second. The number of people who pull out in front of you, alone, is enough reason to rely on mirrors for only quick glances behind while keeping the front in your periphery. I find I have to be much, much more vigilint here in LOS than in the home country: In front, to the side, behind, and underneath (don't forget the man-eating potholes).

It makes sense to me, not only can you filter through the traffic without knocking yours and others mirrors off, but im of the opinion you should always be looking ahead anyway. Im a pretty sensible rider, but i do all the passing. I find its much safer. I learnt this from "motorbike dude" a thai motorcycle taxi that ive used all the time in Bangers. Works for me.

Checkpoints = Extortion

I have been driving my motorbike around central Bangkok for a year now but these past few weeks have been the worst so far. Getting trapped on those midday checkpoints particularly over the weekends, Sundays in particular, and being extorted by these damned "ping-pong boys"!!! These "highway robbers" always start setting up checkpoints around the Sathorn-Narathiwas area.

Once these traffic police starts to know that you are a farang, oh boy, negotiation starts at 500 baht depending on your violations. My 1st violation was a missing left-side mirror (after being stolen at a carpark) and the officer, which has a ready-made english flashcard of offences, kept on pointing to me my violation as - "Vehicle not roadworthy --- THB 400". The 2nd one, 2 weeks after, was "driving at the right side of the road" and stupidly missed seeing the checkpoint ahead before I prepared myself for the next U-turn. Both negotiations ended up at 200 baht.

Both these checkpoints happened on a Sunday at around midday so it may be worth taking note of. I would assume these robbers are planning a lunchtime weekend party as I noticed them manning the checkpoint in full force :o

I've been riding a Yamaha Mio from the condo to the BTS along Sukhumvit 71 for over a year. Have ocassionally ridden as far as Asoke. Never rode a motorbike before Bangkok, but had plenty of experience with bicycles in traffic. The principles of self preservation are the same.

Started out very nervously, but after a month or two it's not that hard. Most of the traffic on Sukhumvit in the morning is stationary or moving very slowly at best so not much risk of an accident with a vehicle. Most danger is from the soi dogs, pedestrians and other motorbikes.

It is scary at first but it makes economic sense. The bike paid for itself in less than a year compared to the cost of motorcycle taxis. And I don't have to worry if the taxi guy has been drinking all night.

In my view, motor biking in BKK requires a good dose of common sense and patience, as does any form of driving. Driving/riding in BKK without these attributes is definitley not recommended.

Give it a try, it's worth it....but there's always the chance you'll win the hospital lottery or worse through no fault of your own.

I've been riding a Yamaha Mio from the condo to the BTS along Sukhumvit 71 for over a year. Have ocassionally ridden as far as Asoke. Never rode a motorbike before Bangkok, but had plenty of experience with bicycles in traffic. The principles of self preservation are the same.

Started out very nervously, but after a month or two it's not that hard. Most of the traffic on Sukhumvit in the morning is stationary or moving very slowly at best so not much risk of an accident with a vehicle. Most danger is from the soi dogs, pedestrians and other motorbikes.

It is scary at first but it makes economic sense. The bike paid for itself in less than a year compared to the cost of motorcycle taxis. And I don't have to worry if the taxi guy has been drinking all night.

In my view, motor biking in BKK requires a good dose of common sense and patience, as does any form of driving. Driving/riding in BKK without these attributes is definitley not recommended.

Give it a try, it's worth it....but there's always the chance you'll win the hospital lottery or worse through no fault of your own.

Okay, where are some places you can safely park and stash your bike while you ride the BTS? Places for me include the On Nut BTS station and anywhere else handy, say, near Asok.

There have been many great comments here regarding this topic, and a few foolish ones as far as i can see. Particularly regarding mirrors, only those guys without a motorcycle license from a western country would advoate the use of mirrors. Lack of depth perception, obstucted view, and most importantly, the fact that actually making the effort to look over your shoulder get s you into the habbit of looking behind you.

Places to stash your bike Aloha, well, i use Tescos at on nut daily. its my park and ride stop. I also stash at the emporium. I have no worries about actuallly leaving my small bike on the street anywhere really. If ive been to the boozer, ill leave it outside the boozer. Parked anywhere on the pavement in a high traffic area and i feel confident!

Any suggestions for bike improvements, as in my earlier post? I'm always get the front disc brake and a larger back tire.

The shock absorbers. They are the third key to the safety improvements, with the two you already mention.

You say in one of your posts that you will continue to ride with motorcycle taxis. If you offer them some extra cash, most of them will allow you to drive. You may want to try it. For me, after half a dozen times it was the final push that made me buy my own (safer than riding on something with old tires, etc. plus 50 or 60 kg of passenger weight).

Also, please dont try to learn anything from the motorcycle taxi guys!

Its YOU trying to stay alive! The motorcylce guys generally ride with the same benevolence (thats a big word! Did i use it correctly??) that the car drivers do.

As said somewhere else on this thread, its common sense that will keep you alive. Make sure this put your thinking hat on before your helmet.

Also, please dont try to learn anything from the motorcycle taxi guys!

Its YOU trying to stay alive! The motorcylce guys generally ride with the same benevolence (thats a big word! Did i use it correctly??) that the car drivers do.

As said somewhere else on this thread, its common sense that will keep you alive. Make sure this put your thinking hat on before your helmet.

Thats a fair enough point moonfruit, my taxi guy is not tarred with the same brush as others. Hes a responsible motorist, hence why he kept getting used. I would not put my faith in most others.

ALOHA, as to places where you can stash your bike, I park mine on the soi nearest the BTS station. I used to park it at the bicycle rack on the footpath under the station, but I got sick of the police harassment driving the short distance on the footpath from the road to the rack. Then the BMA dug up the footpath and ran large pipes which aren't fully buried, so now it's impossible to get to the bike rack.

Sure there's always a chance the bike will be gone when I get back, especially after leaving it overnight. However, as mine is a few years old there's plenty of better bikes around to steal. Just look to where the Thais park their bikes and do the same.

Checkpoints = Extortion

I have been driving my motorbike around central Bangkok for a year now but these past few weeks have been the worst so far. Getting trapped on those midday checkpoints particularly over the weekends, Sundays in particular, and being extorted by these damned "ping-pong boys"!!! These "highway robbers" always start setting up checkpoints around the Sathorn-Narathiwas area.

Once these traffic police starts to know that you are a farang, oh boy, negotiation starts at 500 baht depending on your violations. My 1st violation was a missing left-side mirror (after being stolen at a carpark) and the officer, which has a ready-made english flashcard of offences, kept on pointing to me my violation as - "Vehicle not roadworthy --- THB 400". The 2nd one, 2 weeks after, was "driving at the right side of the road" and stupidly missed seeing the checkpoint ahead before I prepared myself for the next U-turn. Both negotiations ended up at 200 baht.

Both these checkpoints happened on a Sunday at around midday so it may be worth taking note of. I would assume these robbers are planning a lunchtime weekend party as I noticed them manning the checkpoint in full force :o

You seem unlucky. I have been caught in the same areas twice in 2 days. both were for driving on the overpass, instead of going thru all the traffic and lights option. Both times i showed them my UK license and said i dont understand thai, but understood i couldnt ride on the overpass. After some huffing and puffing they waved me on my way. I then said in perfect thai Thank you very much and see you again :D

BTW, my bike has no left hand mirror and the tax/insurance discs are in my bag on my back. Lucky for me they tend to be one dimensional when it comes to checking things.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years (yes I started very young :o ), mostly on very powerful sportbikes, and feel the need to put in my 2 satang regarding mirror usage. It's true that there are limitations to what you can see in your mirrors but experienced riders know how to adjust them and move their elbows in when necessary to get a better view.

The fact is that, as someone mentioned already, there are so many things happening right in front of you and the following distances are so short here that by the time you've looked over your shoulder you could very easily plough into an errant food cart, soi dog, or someone who just pulled out into traffic without looking first (as they usually do).

I still look over my shoulder when I know there's no possiblilty of a surprise in front of me, but not using your mirrors at all - or worse yet, taking them off entirely - is a very bad idea IMHO. As a rider you need every bit of visibility you can get, and since we don't have eyes in the back of our heads, mirrors are the next best thing, imperfect as they may be.

I'm driving around Phuket now, MUCH easier than Bangkok, and I have to say, it's pretty cool out here. Will do some more driving out here, get some experience and eventualy get riding in Bangkok's suburbs. Driving in the city may be limited to night driving, with gear, and without a drop of alcohol in my body.

As far as mirrors go, I like to use both mirrors and the over the shoulder look. It's true it's a good habit to ALWAYS look before a lane change.

Here is another exercise that I would recommend to anyone thinking about riding a motorcycle in Bangkok. Hop in a bus, taxi, or car and note all the painted outlines of motorcycles (oblong shape) on the roadway. This indicates a serious or more often fatal accident. Paint on roadways doesn't last too long here, so those are usually pretty recent accidents. If you doubt this take the same trip a few days later and count up all the new ones. Also note how your driver will approach motorbikes from behind at high speed and give them perhaps one or two feet of distance when following.

You will now have a better idea of the risks so you can make an informed decision.

Did get out and rent a Honda Phantom, 200cc. I was great. Big bike, but not too large. Smooth, steady stroke and a nice ride.

A bigger bike is definitely different from a scooter. The scooter's almost like a bicycle, very small and maneuverable, and the big bike is a lot like a plane. One must bank to turn with it. And you take up a lot more space, so there's no 'squeezing thru' spaces.

All in all, the roads in Phuket are great, so cruising out here is a go. Will get more experience and see about Bangkok one day ...

Riding a motorcycle in BKK is very dangerous. I was eating at a seafood place on Rama III a couple of months ago when I heard a tremendous crashing sound. As I ran towards the sound I saw a cycle ride who had been hit by a car as the motorcycle was executing a u-turn. The guys left leg was torn off at the knee among myriad other injuries and he was squirming on the ground about to pass out which he did eventually. I was maybe 50 meters away at the time moving towards him, but I was on the sidewalk. Within seconds, two more cars plowed into the stopped car involved in the first accident. So now there was one motorcycle and 3 cars involoved instead of the original car and motorcycle. The ambulance arrived 25 minutes after the accident even though at least 5 people called the police and ambulance services. I don't need to tell you I lost my appetite 

after this scene. I am not trying to discourage you from riding your bike around, but it really is dangerous. exercise extreme caution

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it's very dangerous. Hmm, I think I'll limit my riding in Bangkok, but I don't think I'll rule it out just yet.

Where do I get those kevlar-sewn pants and jackets? And for that matter, where are the cool motorcycle gear shops in town?

And I went up North, it's REALLY nice up there (but *chilly!*) and they have some great rides out there. Gotta look at that gt-rider.com website some day and do some of those routes.