Non o border runs and extension costs

Sat doing the maths now unless I have missed something it's far cheaper just doing border runs, rather than border then extension. All bases ed on going over to Laos. 

BORDER runs x4 @ 1500bht visa on arrival.

months 3/6/9/and day before non o runs out cost 6000bht. you get a few days shy of 15 month in Thailand.

BORDER & EXTENSION runs x 3 border x3 extensions

months 3ext/5 border/8ext/10 border/ day before visa expires border/15 ext. cost 10200Bht get a few days shy of 17 months.

So the extra 2 months you get for extensions costs an extra 4200bht.

Now that saving for me would cover any fuel costs to get to border and I could even pay 1900bht on the last run to get ext so would get 17 months for 7900bht a saving of still 2300bht which would then pay for the visa on arrival to get new multi O.

Now I appreciate a lot of people would incur more travel costs than I thus probably more cost effective to extend but if your close enough to do a border hop every 90 days it's significantly cheaper.

You only need to do a 60 extension of the last 90 day entry to get the extra 2 months that would give you a total stay of almost 17 months.

You would only be able to use two 60 day extensions of your entries prior to the enter before date on your visa.

Your math looks fuzzy to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your maths seem fairly accurate if you live next to the bridge in Nong Khai. If you live, say, in Bangkok, your analysis needs some revision to compensate for travel costs. Assuming you do not live close to the border, there is also the small matter of whether avoiding the time and discomfort of traveling are worth anything to you.

Personally, I would probably not treat border runs as purely a way of getting the new entry. I would be inclined to take small holidays to places like HCMC, Yangon and Luang Prabang. This would increase the costs, but make the traveling a pleasure rather than a chore.

Which is what I alluded to ie I appreciate some may have more travel costs ect. for me it would be cost effective there and back in a few hrs no discomfort and possibly even pan a day trip within the trip. not saying it's good for all by any means but on the plus side immigration only once

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need to do a 60 extension of the last 90 day entry to get the extra 2 months that would give you a total stay of almost 17 months.

You would only be able to use two 60 day extensions of your entries prior to the enter before date on your visa.

Your math looks fuzzy to me.

Maths are good double checked yes 2 extensions within he before date and 1 after =3. 

ONLY costed it as it seemed a rather expensive way many many people say 90 then 60 ext then same again. Anyway at least I know what I'll be doing.

5 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

It would only be 3 border runs unless you count the first entry after getting the visa which should considered as part of the cost for getting the visa.

Changing that effects all of your numbers.

27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It would only be 3 border runs unless you count the first entry after getting the visa which should considered as part of the cost for getting the visa.

Changing that effects all of your numbers.

No first at savannakhet not counted 

1 90 days after arrival

2. 90 days after arival of one above

3 90 days after arival of one above

4. day before visa runs out

So border runs at 3 months 6 months 9 months and day before

4 border crossings @1500 = 6000 bht

Edited by Deepinthailand

6 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

15 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No first at savannakhet not counted 

1 90 days after arrival

It appears you did count it in you numbers. You paid the 1500 baht when you crossed to get the visa.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears you did count it in you numbers.

It is not.To do it on border crossings only, to get just short of 15 mths you would need to cross the border 4 times THAT is not repeat not including the first stamp on getting visa from savannakhet and entering Thailand.

Crossing 1 90 days after initial stamp in

Crossing 2 90 days after crossing 1

Crossing 3 90 days after crossing 2

Last crossing day before visa runs out.

Highway accidents seem to be increasing and always were a concern to me doing visa runs while traveling long distances.

Years ago, some Visa run operators provided luxury buses that were much safer than overcrowded, tin can, mini vans.

I remember the early morning runs, year after year, long ago, in the mini vans with the driver struggling to keep his eyes open and a few, very scary near misses with semi trucks.

I ended up flying to Vietnam and back the same day for the airport entry stamp when appropriate, prior to obtaining my retirement extension.

I personally would rather pay more then risk being crushed and burned on a Thai highway.

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

First entry after getting the visa 90 days. Then 3 crossing to get a new 90 entry that will cost 1500 baht each.

after first entry every 90 days to get a new 90 day entry so 4 after initial entry come on its not rocket science 90 day x 1 xing 180 day X2 xing 270 day x3 xing then day before visa runs out x4 ING hence 4 crossings not 3.

ANYWAY enough figures are correct if you live close enough to make it worthwhile saving money and missing immigration offices then the choice is yours.

14 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Highway accidents seem to be increasing and always were a concern to me doing visa runs while traveling long distances.

Years ago, some Visa run operators provided luxury buses that were much safer than overcrowded, tin can, mini vans.

I remember the early morning runs, year after year, long ago, in the mini vans with the driver struggling to keep his eyes open and a few, very scary near misses with semi trucks.

I ended up flying to Vietnam and back the same day for the airport entry stamp when appropriate, prior to obtaining my retirement extension.

I personally would rather pay more then risk being crushed and burned on a Thai highway.

And that's your choice as I said not everyone would benifits.  However never say never but I have not been in or seen any real bad accidents in my time Driving here yet been all over. I would never use a mini bus or public road transport and when it comes time to hang up my driving gloves I would then source an alternative way.

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Now I appreciate a lot of people would incur more travel costs than I thus probably more cost effective to extend but if your close enough to do a border hop every 90 days it's significantly cheaper.

Your maths is correct, however I wouldn't say it's significantly cheaper. Assuming you are trying to get the maximum stay from the visa the saving, by doing 4 x border runs and ignoring travel costs, is only 2,300 baht. By the time you factor in the extra border run cost for option 1 less the extra two visits to immigration in option 2 the saving would likely be less, and possible wiped out if someone lives far from the border.

Option 1

4 x Laos Visa @ 1,500 = 6,000

1 x Extension of stay @ 1,900 = 1,900

Total = 7,900

Max possible days in Thailand = 506

Option 2

3 x Laos Visa @ 1,500 = 4,500

3 x Extension of stay @ 1,900 = 5,700

Total = 10,200

Max possible days in Thailand = 514

32 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Your maths is correct, however I wouldn't say it's significantly cheaper. Assuming you are trying to get the maximum stay from the visa the saving, by doing 4 x border runs and ignoring travel costs, is only 2,300 baht. By the time you factor in the extra border run cost for option 1 less the extra two visits to immigration in option 2 the saving would likely be less, and possible wiped out if someone lives far from the border.

Option 1

4 x Laos Visa @ 1,500 = 6,000

1 x Extension of stay @ 1,900 = 1,900

Total = 7,900

Max possible days in Thailand = 506

Option 2

3 x Laos Visa @ 1,500 = 4,500

3 x Extension of stay @ 1,900 = 5,700

Total = 10,200

Max possible days in Thailand = 514

Again in my op I said it may not be an option for everyone due to transportation costs. however for those and there will be a good few who like myself would not only save money but have less contact with immigration offices which to me is a significant plus the four runs to laos for me would easily be less than a 1k in fuel for all four runs so in reality saving enough bar 200Bht for my visa into laos for next non o purchase. Or forget the 1900bht  extension to the last run you still get 15 months and save  4 200Bht.  again a significant saving.And no contact with local immigration  offices at all.

If you factor in travel costs for those doing 3 extensions and 3 border runs dependant on where they live could end up being a lot more. plus others may have another country border hop closer to them I only costed for me and laos. people would have to look at there circumstances and travel ect ect. But a saving is a saving. I'm a Yorkshire man so breed into me. lol

Edited by Deepinthailand

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your maths seem fairly accurate if you live next to the bridge in Nong Khai. If you live, say, in Bangkok, your analysis needs some revision to compensate for travel costs. Assuming you do not live close to the border, there is also the small matter of whether avoiding the time and discomfort of traveling are worth anything to you.

Personally, I would probably not treat border runs as purely a way of getting the new entry. I would be inclined to take small holidays to places like HCMC, Yangon and Luang Prabang. This would increase the costs, but make the traveling a pleasure rather than a chore.

It is all about personal preference and how you view travelling so those locked into Thailand see extensions as the only viable option.

I was here for over 5 years on non O visas and I was forced to change when I got caught up in the UK passport fiasco, had to use the under consideration period to get more time for my passport to come back.

I go back to the UK every year so getting another visa was not a problem and every 90 days it was a trip away somewhere. Even if we just did a border hop at Ban Packard it was combined with picking up local produce and overnight visit to friends in Chantaburi.

It is very difficult to make a valid financial comparison when part of the expense is in the interest of enjoyment, it's each to his own.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

You're still "dealing with Thai Immigration frequently" DiT - just in a different place.

Yes agree but boder control immigration are easy to get on with 2 mins out and 2 mins in they don't want to see this that and the other no stupid forms to fill in or silly photos to show. small queue time if your unlucky.

28 minutes ago, Khun Robert said:

With a NON-O I would say: Visit local Immigration 30 days before last day of entry.

Apply for 1 Year Extension of Stay, costs 1.900 Thb.

If you like to make holidays abroad: Single Re-entry 1.000 Thb or Multiple Re-entry 3.800 Thb.

Cheapest option.

Cheapest ??? well yes I suppose it's only 1900 bht but then you have to season money for 2 or 3 months not sure which. Money that could be put to better use. Then fill in all the forms have all the correct documentation. sit in a office whilst queuing for how ever long. This is the reason I wanted to get a non o multi entry. But each to there own.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 5:57 AM, BritTim said:

Yeah,...been doing just that for the last 20 years. Did border runs to all the official borders with Thailand with Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia. I always had great times doing this. Got new visas in Ho Chi Minh City , Penang and Vientane. and always used the opportunity to travel extensively multiple times true those country's....

Best regards.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2016 at 1:57 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Maths are good double checked yes 2 extensions within he before date and 1 after =3. 

ONLY costed it as it seemed a rather expensive way many many people say 90 then 60 ext then same again. Anyway at least I know what I'll be doing.

2 hours ago, jimlek said:

Can you enlighten me on just what a 1,500 baht visa on arrival is at the Thai border on returning from adjoining country ? Thanks

His wording is confusing. What he is referring to is his preference (as part of saving money) of paying for a Lao visa on arrival in Thai baht, rather than going to the trouble of getting US$ which makes it cheaper.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

His wording is confusing. What he is referring to is his preference (as part of saving money) of paying for a Lao visa on arrival in Thai baht, rather than going to the trouble of getting US$ which makes it cheaper.

No confusion 1500 visa on entry pretty obvious it laos. as for changing thai to dollar I do but to avoid the confusion on this thread I kept everything in bht. But yes getting $ makes another little saving along the way. but the more I think of it its  less of saving money more of it's a great way of traveling around as off road pat says. So instead of leaving 400000bht in a bank for 3 months to get an extension (money which is doing nothing)  it can be put to far better use, and hopefully I will get to see a lot more of Asia along the way. it's not all about saving money but that helps too. if I coordinate this correctly I can get 15 months in country no extension hence no/nil/null trips to local immigration which I (in my opinion of course) an happy with. so I won't have to keep up with all the new little add ons they come up with or the at times down right rudeness  of certain immigration officers or the looking down there little noses at what they class as a pain in the arse (us).

Edited by Deepinthailand

So I assume then,that he does not have to apply for a new non O each time , just cross and re enter ? yes,I was confused by the wording .My last Lao visa cost $30.00 US =1050 thb approx,so he loses 450 thb each crossing×4=1800 thb,if my maths are working . 

23 minutes ago, jimlek said:

So I assume then,that he does not have to apply for a new non O each time , just cross and re enter ? yes,I was confused by the wording .My last Lao visa cost $30.00 US =1050 thb approx,so he loses 450 thb each crossing×4=1800 thb,if my maths are working . 

Yes you assume correctly. It can be cheaper by paying in dollars depending on exchange rates and the cost of obtaining the dollars.

37 minutes ago, jimlek said:

37 minutes ago, jimlek said:

If you read my post above I say I pay in dollars but to save confusion as last time I went over the queue for visa on arrivals from what I saw only two or three paid in $. so to keep it in thai seemed sensible for this post. Ps when you change to dollars you have to pay to do so. can't remember how much I changed enough for $100. 

On ‎29‎-‎10‎-‎2016 at 11:18 AM, Deepinthailand said:

Cheapest ??? well yes I suppose it's only 1900 bht but then you have to season money for 2 or 3 months not sure which. Money that could be put to better use. Then fill in all the forms have all the correct documentation. sit in a office whilst queuing for how ever long. This is the reason I wanted to get a non o multi entry. But each to there own.

I have no seasoned money in the bank. I agree it is a total wast of time to make a few photocopies of different papers, the costs of a Stamp at my Embassy and it took 2 hours last week for my Extension of Stay. Total expenses 3.300 Thb and 4 hours including travel.

It all depends on where you live, some Immigration Offices are very busy or not as cooperate to smooth up the proces.

Lucky in Krabi they work efficient and it seems they have more than enough staff to coop with the amount of applications.