Is it possible to flag an e.mail ( in g.mail) to never delete?

scorecard

Been thinking more about scanning family documents and send them as a gmail attachment to myself and other family members.

Hence the question 'Is it possible to flag an incoming e.mail (in g.mail) to never delete?'  

On the other hand is it possible to flag sent mails for permanent retaining / do not delete? 

I tried googling for an answer but got nowhere.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

You can flag a message as "keep" in your own gmail account but
once its sent to someone else there is nothing to stop them deleting their copy.

it would be better to make multiple copies /backups of your family documents onto DVD rom,flash drive,hard drive as well as sending copies via email to family members.
Google/gmail also offers free online storage called Google drive.

or create a new email account that all have access to, solely for storing these documents, or a dropbox account.

or create routing options so the mails are re-directed from the inbox to a specified 'DO NOT DELETE' Folder.

I think all these solutions is not what the OP wants. He just wants a 'read only' option for a specific folder. Just new mails can be added and nothing else.

As far as I know Gmail does not offer such an option.

But maybe somebody else knows better.

With Google drive you can set permissions for full access read write delete etc for every file (if I remember correctly) , you can make folders available publicly or privately.

With e-mail the account owner (barring any mess up by provider and within the storage limits) is the person who decides what to keep
If the documents are important then use multiple separate backups.

5 hours ago, johng said:

With Google drive you can set permissions for full access read write delete etc for every file (if I remember correctly) , you can make folders available publicly or privately.

With e-mail the account owner (barring any mess up by provider and within the storage limits) is the person who decides what to keep
If the documents are important then use multiple separate backups.

Thanks for all the replies.

The post from johng mentions 'Google drive'.  

I've heard folks say they will never use Google Drive because it means Google is gaining too much control over users.

I'm not a techie, I'm curios to have some comments on this subject from the experts, please. 

Archived