Selling a car in Thailand

Bryacar

When I sold my car last month the buyer paid the transfer fee of around 1,900 baht for a 300,000 baht vehicle.

As far as I,m aware no regulations are in force as to who pays,it is a private transaction so up to the seller/buyer as to who pays or shares..up to you.

At one time the selling price of the vehicle determined the cost,but now I understand it is a fixed fee,what exactly I do not know all I can relay to you is what happened with my sale :thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Who cares, it's pocket money.....If buyer pays the price of the car is lower, if seller pays the price of the car is higher:smile:

Yes, if I'm the buyer, I would just reduce my buying price to include this small amount.

Then use the 2-3000 baht in Nana.

Related question: how can you be sure the buyer actually registers the car? I wonder if that's why it's the seller who would/should usually pay? It guarantees the transfer.

I don't know the process for selling (but would like to) as when i bought my used car, it was handled by the agency but I paid the fees.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The buyer doesn't have to be present when transferring ownership of the car.

You are I presume talking 3rd party where buyer and seller give power of attorney to a third party which I agree is legal. But I as a buyer would want to be there in case of any problems arising.

Edited by Deepinthailand

On 10/31/2016 at 0:46 PM, soinowinbkk said:

Related question: how can you be sure the buyer actually registers the car? I wonder if that's why it's the seller who would/should usually pay? It guarantees the transfer.

I don't know the process for selling (but would like to) as when i bought my used car, it was handled by the agency but I paid the fees.

Good point. Given that automatic summons' for traffic violations caught on camera has started and sent to the registered owner, and reports of this becoming more prevalent, If I sold a car I would insist on attending the transfer event and if necessary pay 50% or 100% of the fees to be sure it has been executed.  

On 30/10/2016 at 0:39 PM, burgerking said:

Transfer fee is   500 baht for every 100,000 baht value of the car. 

Most buyers will try it on for the seller to pay it, but 9 times out of 10 it's the buyer who pays..

Hope this has helped you. 

Not any more its not....fixed fee.....when I sold my car 2 months ago we agreed on a lower sale price in the transfer form but it didn,t help all cars up to 300,000 baht pay 1,900 baht transfer fee.

My neighbor is a car dealer, and just last week he asked my wife and I to help translate a negotiation between him and a farang buyer who didn't speak Thai over the phone. The buyer tried to get the seller to pay the transfer fees, he refused and the buyer relented and paid the fee. Since he is a legitimate dealer, he does have an employee take care of the transfer for his clients at the Dept. of Land Transport, but the buyer pays the fees. 

17 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

My neighbor is a car dealer, and just last week he asked my wife and I to help translate a negotiation between him and a farang buyer who didn't speak Thai over the phone. The buyer tried to get the seller to pay the transfer fees, he refused and the buyer relented and paid the fee. Since he is a legitimate dealer, he does have an employee take care of the transfer for his clients at the Dept. of Land Transport, but the buyer pays the fees. 

So will he charge the seller his rates or the true cost???. I would never let a dealer sort out the transfer I would pay the DTO fees. seen this before where dealer pays fees then hikes them up. quoting time and all diffrent now.

I would be there and when I have bought a car (always private no dealers ) I will not part with the full amount untill the car is in my or my wifes name (I give a token 500bht deposit only ) so the seller would have to be there to collect his money. that way there can be no problems.

Edited by Deepinthailand
To correct auto word placement

On 11/1/2016 at 7:04 PM, Deepinthailand said:

You are I presume talking 3rd party where buyer and seller give power of attorney to a third party which I agree is legal. But I as a buyer would want to be there in case of any problems arising.

No, I mean it is a requirement that the seller be there (or their PoW) but it is not a requirement for the buyer to be present.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You think wrong then.

I sold 2 cars last year without the buyer present.

I meant I think not in other words as a buyer I would be there no way would I give buyer poa and money for car. as I've said I pay a small deposit rest is paid at office after transfer

19 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I meant I think not in other words as a buyer I would be there no way would I give buyer poa and money for car. as I've said I pay a small deposit rest is paid at office after transfer

I think you mean you would not give seller POA?

No problem as POA not required for the buyer, just signatures on the transfer form and residence certificate and passport copy.

Remember your experiance at one office is or may not be the same as others at other LTO offices. hey if someone wants to trust you with there money whilst you still have the car and the book that's up to them my experiance is not the same as yours buyer has to be there seller can POA to buyer or both can POA to a third party but why they would want to I will never know.

Cars can easily be registered 8n new name in origional LTO of car.

CARS can be re registered into another area by first getting new plates then in a week change name on book a little more complicated but easily doable.

I in my area need a cert of res or yellow book from both buyer and seller to complete the process. Me as buyer living in area no problem. last time I bought was from Korat my area accepted his cert of res from korat. 

Guess what I'm saying is check with you local office they will guide you.

50 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Remember your experiance at one office is or may not be the same as others at other LTO offices. hey if someone wants to trust you with there money whilst you still have the car and the book that's up to them my experiance is not the same as yours buyer has to be there seller can POA to buyer or both can POA to a third party but why they would want to I will never know.

Cars can easily be registered 8n new name in origional LTO of car.

CARS can be re registered into another area by first getting new plates then in a week change name on book a little more complicated but easily doable.

I in my area need a cert of res or yellow book from both buyer and seller to complete the process. Me as buyer living in area no problem. last time I bought was from Korat my area accepted his cert of res from korat. 

Guess what I'm saying is check with you local office they will guide you.

As I said, I'm posting my personal experiences of transferring cars both as a buyer and seller. If different LTD offices follow different procedures there's nothing I can do about that.

When I sold the vehicles I didn't take the money from the buyers until I gave them the blue books with their names in it, the reason why they couldn't accompany me was because they were working and couldn't spare the time off. No PoA was required from the buyer in either Chonburi or Rayong LTDs, they didn't want to see the buyer.

In Nonthaburi LTD office they recommended that the quickest way to transfer a registration from Rayong to Chonburi was to first go to Rayong to get them to sign off on the transfer and then go to Chonburi to change the plates / registration. Maybe they don't know what they were talking about but they did say it would be quicker than going to Chonburi direct as Chonburi would have to contact Rayong LTD for paperwork.

"Cars can easily be registered 8n new name in origional LTO of car" IF THE BUYER HAS A RESIDENCE CERTIFICATE FROM THE SAME AREA. Which in the OPs case is not applicable as I said before.