Thailand ranked the world's 46th best destination for "ease of doing business"

webfact

Thailand ranked the world's 46th best destination for "ease of doing business"

Business.png

BANGKOK: -- Thailand was ranked the world's 46th best destination for ease of doing business, according to the World Bank’s flagship publication ‘Doing Business 2017’. 

The survey by World Bank’s publication was conducted from a total of 190 countries worldwide.

According to the National News Bureau of Thailand, Government spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd disclosed that Thailand has moved up from its 49th position last year to 46th globally and ranked third in ASEAN behind Singapore and Malaysia.

This year Thailand scored 72.53, up from 71.65 in 2015.

The WB’s flagship publication indicated that Thailand has apparently improved in terms of starting businesses from 96th to 78th, on acquiring credit from 97th to 82nd, on minority investor protection from 36th to 27th and on solving insolvency from 49th to 23rd, he said.

He went on to say that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha thanked all the agencies who played a major role in improving the country’s business ranking, marking it as the success of all parties, and noting that the matter still requires further effort.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranked-the-worlds-46th-best-destination-for-ease-of-doing-business/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-31

25 minutes ago, Lammbock said:

"Ease of doing business" Are you serious?

Did it mention whether the ease of doing business was for Thai nationals or companies or foreign nationals or companies I wonder.  Just a thought!

I call rubbish.  you cant own more than 49% of a company even tho ypu contribute 100% in all costs.  ease of doing business for thieving thais yes when they gain majoriity without any outlay or risk.  no way on earth would I do business with Thailand you wipe out 51% before you even start.

11 minutes ago, Caveat Emptor said:

This thread is just ripe for comments but I'm going to hold myself back and it's not easy !

Rest easy, I will do it for you.

PM Prayuth thanked all his fellow officers heading up the agencies involved. I hear on the grapevine that a new military medal called the Business Opportunity Medal is to be stuck in recognition of the valour and courage shown by front line officers in achieving a lower international ranking for doing business Thailand. 

It is rumoured that official ceremonies to award these medals to the many officers involved is to be held over a three day period at a yet to be announced luxury resort. For security reasons wives and girlfriends will not be able to attend. 

6 hours ago, Lammbock said:

"Ease of doing business" Are you serious?

You need a work permit to exhibit at a trade show.   They must be smoking meth.  If Thailand is number 46 the other countries must be outrageously bad.  Outside of getting a massage or a beer, Thailand is a pain.  Cambodia 131 and China 78, will have to disagree.  They must have been seduced by something or somebody 

The whole survey is iffy. Have a good look at the finer details of the number 1 and 2 in the survey and you will see it is basically impossible for a normal person (non citizen) to start a business and get the visa needed. Try and get a visa to start a business in Singapore, if I remember correctly your company must generate +- SG$ 50 turnover in the year preceding your application. New Zealand is not much better for a small business person from the outside wanting to start a business. If they are talking about multi-nationals they might be correct but for the small fish its a sharks world.

It is not a survey !!!!

The numbers are given by the governments and they reflect only big investors and huge companies investing in Thailand.

I bet they rank 150 up in doing business for SME's .

If i would not have put all my investments here a few years ago, I would leave , just because of the the opposite of ease to do business.

(btw i have 160 employees , and the amount is increasing, the people are not my problem, The Government is) 

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

I call rubbish.  you cant own more than 49% of a company even tho ypu contribute 100% in all costs.  ease of doing business for thieving thais yes when they gain majoriity without any outlay or risk.  no way on earth would I do business with Thailand you wipe out 51% before you even start.

Add to that the cost of employing four "Thai cushion sitters" for every farang working in the business and costs escalate rapidly.

Also, that 46 ranking is an overall figure. The ranking for actually starting a business is 78 which isn't so good: http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/thailand/

12 hours ago, ikke said:

(btw i have 160 employees , and the amount is increasing, the people are not my problem, The Government is) 

The junta and its xenophobic attitude mercifully saved us from setting up in Thailand.  Don't think you can trust the UN for objectivity or fairness.   They have their own agenda.  The only trustworthy insights come from people like you. 

foreign investment is down to almost nothing.  46th in ranking might be a bit optimistic.

The Thai Propaganda think tank is awash with liars beyond our wildest imagination !!!!!'

If Thais were paid for lying they'd be the richest country in the world !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“He went on to say that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha thanked all the agencies who played a major role in improving the country’s business ranking …”

Moving up 3 spots among the mediocre in not "improving". It is being stuck in neutral and heading downward in traffic consisting of others who have no sense of business direction.