Where to stay in Mae Rim?

Nampa89

I live in Chiang Mai now with my Thai wife and we recently drove up to Mae Rim for a day and fell in love with it. We have decided to use it as a 1 night get away for fun on the weekends and are needing info on where to stay. I checked the net but all I found were 6,000 to 25,000 baht a night places. I was not a 25,000 baht a night person in my own country let alone Thailand. So does anyone know of somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 baht or less even to stay in Mae Rim? I did see plenty of places but I am just trying to save time looking at each one all afternoon.

You may stay at Chiangmai Green Valley Condominium which is located at the back of Green Valley golf course. The lower floors are a hotel named "B2 Green Valley Executive Serviced Residence".

If you like nature, you will enjoy it. I stay at this location.

The Mae Rim Lagoon has been around a long time and is reasonable priced and close to the Mae Rim Plaza.  And then further up the Mae Sa valley is the Rinrada resort along with several other such "mountain" resorts along the 1096. There are also a few cabins for rent up by Mon Jaem surrounded by a sea of tents.

Sounds nice...These are the kind of get away that will make that TM30 deal a pain

In that regard would be nice to find a spot that is not going to report your presence

or be able to stay under your Thai wife's name

Edited by mania

2 hours ago, mania said:

Sounds nice...These are the kind of get away that will make that TM30 deal a pain

In that regard would be nice to find a spot that is not going to report your presence

or be able to stay under your Thai wife's name

I don't quite follow what you mean.    What is the TM30 deal.     Why would it be nice to to find a place that is not going to report your presence?       

The TM30 deal has been done to death..... its an old system that appears to apply mainly to Chiang Mai immigration.  If you leave your residence for more than 24hrs, then you are apparently suppose to advise immigration of your new address.

Other provinces (Immigration dept) dont really give a toss about that but CM Immigration do.  In Thailand all guesthouses/hotels/Condo's etc are by law suppose to inform authorities of all guests staying in their properties.  If a TM30 is not filled out and submitted (Electronically or otherwise) then said owner of the property may/will be fined 1600 baht by CM Immigration.  A receipt copy of this notification is now stapled in your passport and when you come to do your extension of stay (Retirement type visa) if you dont have the TM30 receipt copy then questions are asked and your renewal may be in question.

As mania was alluding to, some accommodation places allow you to register using just your thai wife/partners details thus avoiding all the TM30 palava.  There was and maybe still is a form called a TM28, which was the notification part the we foreigners are suppose to submit when we move to a new location. This TM28 is married up with the TM30 that the hotel etc submit.

I tried to submit a TM28 quite a few months ago but as there wasnt a corresponding TM30 details on their computer system they were quite annoyed and didnt want the TM28 at all.  The missus had to go next door and submit a TM30.  Luckily back then they werent enforcing the fines...like they are now!

Maybe one day they (CM Immigration) will insist that all foreigners in the province have a computer tracking chip inserted under our skin but until that day, they will just get under our skin by other means!

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

We do overnight getaways here... http://www.hmonghilltribelodge.com/

great drive thru Mae Rim to get to and on the way home if you continue past the hotel you can drive a back way to Moncham peak for lunch...

make a point to stop here:

http://www.chula.ac.th/th/archive/museum/3628

If you stay at the Mong Lodge don't forget to walk across the street from the gate to the small eclectic, not sure what to call it other than, pardon the plagiarism, another roadside attraction.  Then above the Mong Lodge, just before the real Mong village of Mae Khi, is a small noodle shop on the right side just before the top of the hill with good Thai food.

And yes indeed, the Daraphirom Palace museum is one of the best museums in all of Lanna Land. It is worth a trip on its own merits.

47 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

I don't quite follow what you mean.    What is the TM30 deal.     Why would it be nice to to find a place that is not going to report your presence?       

As CMKiwi said...basically the super enforcement of an over read rule is putting a damper on simple travel within Thailand.....if your living in CM/dealing with CM imm

Sad really & anyone with a brain like most other immigration departments within Thailand correctly interpret the rule as "if you change/move your main residence then yes report within 24 hrs"

If that is not the case then the rule is silly at best anyway

We moved to out other home in US back in August...Although we are back in CM now visiting

our ill mother. But this whole dog & pony Imm show I do not miss one bit.

At our other home these past 3 months I have computer alarms going off to remind me 90 days, yearly extension etc & I just smile

Happy I do not need to comply

Edited by mania

Many good places to stay in Mae Rim. Some are closer to town and easier to reach, others more remote and further into the hills. Anything in the area from highway 108 west to about the Queen Sirikit garden to be in the closer range. This includes Mae Rim Lagoon etc. Further West or NW than that and you're getting into the farther range. This includes Hmong Lodge, Proud Phu Fa and many many nice resorts strung along the Samoeng Rd.

MR Lagoon is good, close, cheap with an excellent restaurant. You can try Natura in Huay Sai. The spot and rooms are nice, though the restaurant took a severe nosedive after the Thai owners leased the business to an Aussie.  Plus lots of small, very stylish places along the Mae Sa stream East of the waterfalls.

Enjoy!

We quite often have a Tuesday night at Mae Rim because we can visit the Tuesday night market at the Plaza and load up with cheap, fresh veges to return to CM.

The cheapest accom is probably Whale Resort (sorry no whales only big catfish) 600 baht, a night,  all year around except over New Year.

That includes a very mediocere breakfast but hey it 600 b,cabins are clean and a very large  swimming pool.

Alternative for us is CM Lagoon Resort, whose lagoon disappeared at the end of last summer in the drought but guess its back ,slightly overpriced  for an old resort but its clean and a nice small pool and reasonable food.

Heaps of other alternatives on travel sites .depends how much you want to pay

4 hours ago, Sparkles said:

The cheapest accom is probably Whale Resort (sorry no whales only big catfish) 600 baht, a night,  all year around except over New Year.

That includes a very mediocere breakfast but hey it 600 b,cabins are clean and a very large  swimming pool.

Another option at the less expensive end of the spectrum, but still nice and clean, is the Smile Resort located a bit behind the last gas station that is just past the turn to the 4043 and Tord Mork waterfall, in the same neighborhood as the Suansawang.

Just a reminder that there is very limited public transportation around Mae Rim, mostly rickety side car motorcycle taxis, so it is best you arrive with your own transportation. There is an upscale resort near me that receives guests from overseas arriving by taxi who booked online and then only realize an hour after their taxi departed that they are far from everything with few, if any, options to get anywhere else.