Sanam Luang crowds take their toll on tamarind trees

webfact

Sanam Luang crowds take their toll on tamarind trees
By Thanapat Thongpaiwan, 
Juthathip Lucksanawong 
The Nation 

58d34ce3871902e42b91825a2ff2916f-sld.jpe

BANGKOK: -- ABOUT 200 tamarind trees around Sanam Luang, many of which are more than a century old, appear to be withering due to excessive water and food scraps disposed of near their roots.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Jakkaphan Phiew-ngarm said yesterday that help was now being given to these affected trees.

The volumes of waste have been huge given the more than 1.5 million people who have entered Sanam Luang in recent weeks to pay respects to the revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Most people are using rubbish bins or bags, but others unthinkingly are throwing leftover drinks or soup on the trees.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30299014

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-03

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

//Admin

In my apartment (which is a nice complex with your more affluent locals) we have a communal waste bin area on each floor. A place where you can put your rubbish in big bins. The bins have a flip-up lid that's attached and needs to be lifted so you can put your rubbish in and the smell is contained. Some people are so damn lazy and feckless that they just put their bag of rubbish next to the big bin. Some are so completely brain dead that they put their rubbish on the top of the lid.

This litter problem seems to be a lot deeper than simply telling people to put rubbish in the bin. Some people really don't give a s***. 

55 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

In my apartment (which is a nice complex with your more affluent locals) we have a communal waste bin area on each floor. A place where you can put your rubbish in big bins. The bins have a flip-up lid that's attached and needs to be lifted so you can put your rubbish in and the smell is contained. Some people are so damn lazy and feckless that they just put their bag of rubbish next to the big bin. Some are so completely brain dead that they put their rubbish on the top of the lid.

This litter problem seems to be a lot deeper than simply telling people to put rubbish in the bin. Some people really don't give a s***. 

Happened to me too when I used to live in an upmarket condo in downtown Sydney. Unfortunately and somewhat unsurprisingly, the Chinese were the most guilty parties...

33 minutes ago, kimchibogan said:

Happened to me too when I used to live in an upmarket condo in downtown Sydney. Unfortunately and somewhat unsurprisingly, the Chinese were the most guilty parties...

My cousin works for a huge condo-rental company in Europe. He is tired of chinese renters because they always clog up the drains..they try to flush ANYthing through the drains and then call them for service is they are clogged.

So now they refuse to rent to chinese...(who are international students for a university)).

1 hour ago, wirat69 said:

I guess you are new to Thailand.......

:sleepy: :sorry:

New or not new to Thailand is not the point. 

Simple solutions go a long towards solving these kind of problems. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

My cousin works for a huge condo-rental company in Europe. He is tired of chinese renters because they always clog up the drains..they try to flush ANYthing through the drains and then call them for service is they are clogged.

So now they refuse to rent to chinese...(who are international students for a university)).

Yep, not surprising at all. Unfortunately the Chinese have little or no regard for the environment. They are an extremely selfish race and are the world's worst when it comes to donating to charities. Such a pity for such an ancient civilisation. 

Why can't the police just give fines to people who throw soup onto tree's roots? Are they that scared to get a bad review from the mourners who damage our beautifull ancient tree's? We almost don't have any old tree in Bangkok so please protect the last few.

I doubt whether any of the people who poured liquid onto the trees thought they were doing any harm, simply providing moisture to them. Calling the action littering is farcical - the liquid would just soak straight into the soil. The problem appears to be the volume of liquid due to the large number of people present.