US election: race for the White House tightens

webfact

US election: race for the White House tightens

606x341_348630.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- Just a week ago, Hillary Clinton was ahead in eight out of nine states identified as “battleground” states in the US election. But the latest opinion poll averages taken by data aggregator Real Clear Politics put her ahead in just four, with Trump also ahead in four, and North Carolina tied.

To digest the latest forecasts in the US, Euronews’ Mark Davis spoke to our Washington correspondent Stefan Grobe.

Mark Davis, Euronews: ‘‘Stefan, what do you make of the latest surveys?’‘

Stefan Grobe, Euronews Washington correspondent: ‘‘Well, Mark let me put it this way. There are more signs of erosion, but her flood gates seem to be holding. There are cracks, but we are not seeing signs of Clinton crumbling on a map that still favours her overall. She was hit big time by the FBI announcement last Friday and now polls have generally stabilised for her. There are other polls that suggest that Trump is gaining ground in New Hampshire, Colorado and even in Virginia. Will that be enough? Well, we will know next Tuesday.’‘

Mark Davis, Euronews: ‘‘Now, a third candidate is looking to put the cat amongst the pigeons in the Mormon majority state of Utah. What’s going on out West?’‘

Stefan Grobe, Euronews Washington correspondent: 
‘‘Normally the Mormon state is reliably Republican, actually it’s one of the most Republican states in the country. But here is this independent conservative candidate, who has emerged as a real threat to Trump. This guy Evan McMullin a Utah native, former CIAoperative and investment banker is energizing the anti- Trump vote which is substantial in Utah. And if Trump loses Utah and its six electoral votes it will make his path to victory mathematically much more complicated.’‘

Mark Davis, Euronews: ‘‘People have been able to vote for days. But fewer African Americans have chosen to do so than in previous elections. Does that hurt the Democrats?’‘

Stefan Grobe, Euronews Washington correspondent: 
‘‘Absolutely, this is something that worries Democrats a lot and President Obama just alluded to it during his latest campaign appearances. We know from early voting returns in Florida and North Carolina, states that are absolutely critical to a Clinton win next Tuesday, that African Americans have turned out much less than they did four and eight years ago. On the other hand, we are seeing much stronger mobilisitation among Latino voters, but that might not be enough if African Americans don’t turn out in massive numbers.’‘

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-04

Another day, another ABC News/Washington Post tracking poll.

Today HRC is up by 2 points nationally.

Her firewall: suburban married Republican college educated white women.....

James Hohmann: “Our fresh Washington Post-ABC News Tracking Poll, which has Hillary Clinton ahead by just 2 points among all likely voters nationally, finds that Donald Trump is losing college-educated white women by 27 points.”

“If the Republican nominee was anywhere close to Romney’s 52 percent support level among this traditionally Republican-leaning constituency, he would likely win the election. But drilling into the crosstabs of our polling and reviewing credible, state-level data demonstrates how highly unlikely it is that this constituency will waver in the final days. It is one of the reasons that, even though the race has tightened pretty dramatically, Clinton retains a significant structural advantage.”

What we're getting at this point are the cries of people going down the drain with their guy Trump.

As of today, it's HRC 293 Electoral College Votes versus Donald Trump at 214 ECV's. Tomorrow we'll see some variation, however, HRC continues to have 272 "hard" ECV's.

270 as always needed to win.

as appalling as these above campaign badges are, at least they prove you do not need to be a world class billionaire to run for Presidency - at this stage,  any single of Trump's core supporters could pretend to reach the same level.     

Edited by Opl

I have been through so many emotions concerning this election that I have now slumped into severe depression.  I guess it is because it is now approaching crunch time and one of these two will be elected to the Presidency.

Whoever wins it is such a low point for the people of the USA and to some extent the rest of the world too.

If we spin this around and say

"who would win the moral vote?" Then I doubt that anyone would go out and vote at all.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I have been through so many emotions concerning this election that I have now slumped into severe depression.  I guess it is because it is now approaching crunch time and one of these two will be elected to the Presidency.

Whoever wins it is such a low point for the people of the USA and to some extent the rest of the world too.

If we spin this around and say

"who would win the moral vote?" Then I doubt that anyone would go out and vote at all.

Hey, everyone's feeling it in one way or another...

“Wearable devices that track exercise and other vital signs reveal what many have suspected: The election is making us lose sleep,” the  Wall Street Journal reports.

“The night of the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, Sept. 26, Fitbit users nationwide slept an average of 4.2 minutes less than they did the Monday before and the Monday after the debate. Users’ average sleep typically varies only about one to two minutes from one Monday to the next, so the change on the debate night is statistically significant."

:saai:

It's only statistically significant tho. :smile:

All the same the dark clouds will clear beginning Tuesday next week.

The latest update from the ABC News/Washington Post  tracking poll the MSM is focusing on for high drama and heavy viewership is that HRC is up nationally by 3 points. This is the poll that showed Trump up by 1 point after the Comey letter.

This morning the time here HRC had been up by 2 points. So with HRC after a day of light now up by 3, the cardinal numbers rule is that 4 comes next.

If HRC is up by 3 points nationally on Tuesday morning it would mean she wins by upwards of 4.5 points to 5 points given her massive and virtually continuously churning field operation in the key states -- which Trump does not have. 

It shows that some of HRC's support is shallow - for Comey's announcement to so profoundly affect the numbers.  I spent half my growing-up years in the US, and half in Europe.  I've always known there's a lot of redneck mentality in the US, but didn't think it was so prevalent nationwide.  Perhaps because I spent a quarter of a century in California, where liberal thinking prevails.  Don't get me wrong, there are still a lot of gun-hugging anti-science, varicose-vein-in-the-brain, bible thumpers in California, but they're in the minority.

We're reminded they're there when there's a wife-beating, or a shooting in the community.  I once was following an El Dorado car on the freeway, and it had a dead black bear tied, spread eagle, on the back of the car for everyone to see. caked blood around its mouth.   A true sign of a redneck.

Another time, just after a large 4th of July gathering, after watching fireworks at the fairgrounds, my p.u. truck was stuck in traffic.  My wife and 2 little boys were in the front seat with me.  Just in front, some drunk rednecks, with beer in their paws, were picking fistfights with every guy who walked near them.  No reason, just drunken redneck fun.  I tried to keep my boys from watching, but to no avail.  

Those are the types who will vote for Trump.

Edited by boomerangutang

CONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS IF HILLARY IS ELECTED?

Donald Trump on the campaign trail:

If Clinton wins the election, Trump told his supporters at a rally near the Massachusetts border, “it would create an unprecedented constitutional crisis. What a mess.” Referring to the continuing investigation of emails to and from Clinton during her time as secretary of state, Trump asserted, “She’s likely to be under investigation for a long trial, concluding in a criminal trial. … America deserves a government that can go to work on Day 1.”

http://www.voanews.com/a/trump-predicts-constitutional-crisis-if-clinton-wins/3581386.html

You can bet it'll be more than a 'Constitutional Crisis' if Crooked Hillary manages to gain Big White! :shock1:

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

If Clinton wins the election, Trump told his supporters at a rally near the Massachusetts border, “it would create an unprecedented constitutional crisis. What a mess.” Referring to the continuing investigation of emails to and from Clinton during her time as secretary of state, Trump asserted, “She’s likely to be under investigation for a long trial, concluding in a criminal trial. … America deserves a government that can go to work on Day 1.”

http://www.voanews.com/a/trump-predicts-constitutional-crisis-if-clinton-wins/3581386.html

You can bet it'll be more than a 'Constitutional Crisis' if Crooked Hillary manages to gain Big White! :shock1:

Speaking of crapping on the Constitution:  Trump and his hard-righters wants to take a dump on the Constitution by indefinitely not allowing the president to do his/her Constitutional duty to put forth a nominee for Supreme Court.

As for impending criminal cases.   Trump has over 4,000 including an alleged rape of an early teen.

HRC has zero impending court cases.   Do the math.

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The list is too long of Trump v Constitution.

Deport 11 million people.

Build a wall at Mexico.

Exclude persons of a religion, Islam, entering the United States.

Ridicule unconstitutionally a journalist with disabilities.

Target women for Constitutionally prohibited insult and denigration.

Bomb the shit out of 'em to include carpet bombing which Constitutionally would put the Pentagon on the spot, to put it mildly.

Misrepresent the Second Amendment as giving the right to rightwingnuts to arm against their government (unless it's a Trump government) and at polling stations on election day, rather than accurately and correctly present the 2nd Amendment as the right to organise a militia in each state to protect and defend the state itself, and the United States as a whole in a federal service, on order of the CinC.

As I'd stated, the list of Constitutional crises already stated by Donald Trump and the Republican party is too long to list on one page, nevermind in one single post (no matter the potential number of words in a keyboard). 

Uniquely American Fascism. That's a Constitutional crisis, to include the FBI Director James Comey who has the same office J. Edgar Hoover sat in, inside the J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building that extends between Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues in Washington DC.

2 minutes ago, Publicus said:

The list is too long of Trump v Constitution.

Deport 11 million people.

Build a wall at Mexico.

Exclude persons of a religion, Islam, entering the United States.

Ridicule unconstitutionally a journalist with disabilities.

Target women for Constitutionally prohibited insult and denigration.

Bomb the shit out of 'em to include carpet bombing which Constitutionally would put the Pentagon on the spot, to put it mildly.

Misrepresent the Second Amendment as giving the right to rightwingnuts to arm against their government (unless it's a Trump government) and at polling stations on election day, rather than accurately and correctly present the 2nd Amendment as the right to organise a militia in each state to protect and defend the state itself, and the United States as a whole in a federal service, on order of the CinC.

As I'd stated, the list of Constitutional crises already stated by Donald Trump and the Republican party is too long to list on one page, nevermind in one single post (no matter the potential number of words in a keyboard). 

Uniquely American Fascism. That's a Constitutional crisis, to include the FBI Director James Comey who has the same office J. Edgar Hoover sat in, inside the J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building that extends between Pennsylvania and Constitution Avenues in Washington DC.

And therein lies the beauty of a Trump presidency. He'd likely be impeached within a year. Hillary Clinton might probably hold on two years given the power of her political machine. I'd rather see this national nightmare over sooner rather than later.

The Right Sector of U.S. politics, culture, society, has to show it knows how to lose.

So far, all the Right Sector are are losers.

The Right Sector need to go beyond just simply being losers to show some class too.

After all, it's a democracy. It is not as Chomsky said a state of manufactured public opinion.

1 minute ago, Publicus said:

The Right Sector of U.S. politics, culture, society, has to show it knows how to lose.

So far, all the Right Sector are are losers.

The Right Sector need to go beyond just simply being losers to show some class too.

After all, it's a democracy. It is not as Chomsky said a state of manufactured public opinion.

I'm gonna have to disagree. Chomsky got it right.

6 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

And therein lies the beauty of a Trump presidency. He'd likely be impeached within a year. Hillary Clinton might probably hold on two years given the power of her political machine. I'd rather see this national nightmare over sooner rather than later.

Republican majority congress would never impeach trump.

Next ... 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Republican majority congress would never impeach trump.

Next ... 

A lot of Republicans don't like Trump and if he were impeached the VP would take over and that might be more palatable to many.   

10 hours ago, Credo said:

A lot of Republicans don't like Trump and if he were impeached the VP would take over and that might be more palatable to many.   

Granted, Pence as prez would be better than Trump.  It's like saying a punch in the nose is better than losing a finger.  Pence would be somewhat like Bush Sr without a sense of humor.  Trump has disaster written all over him.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Granted, Pence as prez would be better than Trump.  It's like saying a punch in the nose is better than losing a finger.  Pence would be somewhat like Bush Sr without a sense of humor.  Trump has disaster written all over him.

He's more like a less creepy Ted Cruz than Bush Sr.