Ceilings

hocuspocus

I know there will be regional variations but I need to get some prices for finishing our house in Sukothai now that the original builder has found work in Bangkok. I am not a cheap Charlie and I expect to pay a fair price for good quality work but on the other hand I do not want to be overcharged.We need to get the ceilings/soffits completed to stop the birds getting into the house so we need a price just for labour for doing this and a price for doing the inside ceilings per sq meter. After that we need a price for the rendering inside walls and tiling the floors whole house about 100 sq meters. What would be a normal price per sq meter for ceilings and floor tiling and rendering?

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

you should also include the cost of ceiling insulation in your calculations...your AC (if you've got it) will be ineffective without insulation as you will be exposed to the outside ambient temp from which simple ceiling material is no protection...

Can you recommend a quality type of insulation that I can place  in my ceiling?

Ceiling with 8mm gypsum should be 190 - 250 baht perM2 they will charge extra for cut outs. Painting the ceiling with TOA will be around 100 baht m2. ( i''m paying 240b )

external soffits using conwood around 400 ( not sure) per m2

Tiling floors should be around 150-250 per M2 labour only ( I'm paying 250b and feel I'm getting ripped off)

Rendering 80-150 per m2 they supply materials ( I'm paying 130)

Those prices are from Hua Hin where it's cheaper than Bangkok but more expensive than non tourist provences.

13 minutes ago, luwahn said:

I used 6 inch fiberglass blankets and they did the trick fer me...but that was nearly 15 years ago...there may be more effective/cheaper thermal insulation materials available for this purpose these days...if you google there may be some info available in this regard or, ye just gots t'see what's available...

32 minutes ago, AJBangkok said:

Ceiling with 8mm gypsum should be 190 - 250 baht perM2 they will charge extra for cut outs. Painting the ceiling with TOA will be around 100 baht m2. ( i''m paying 240b )

Painting a ceiling costs half what it costs to build one? Seems unlikely given that it only takes a couple of minutes to paint a sqm of ceiling with a roller.

Why are you paying 240B if it should be around 100B? Or is that for building the ceiling? Or building and painting it?

from my experience; external soffits; in shera/conwood 380bt/m2  "all in rate" and that includes the aluzinc sheeting rails and insect screens.

rendering 120btm2 labour only

floor tiling and wall tiling all the same rate 170bt/m2. a step tread/riser including the ally nosing also 170bt per step.

(yes AJ you are being fleeced a bit; the rate is 150bt/m2 and the middle man gets the 20bt profit/commision)

painting labour only 14bt/m2 but I would never ever pay someone to paint for me.

a small tip: the ceiling cut outs for lights etc is the job of the electrician not the board fixer so I wouldnt ever pay the board fixer for cutting holes.....usually with his padsaw or stanley knife!!!

9 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

external soffits using conwood around 400 ( not sure) per m2

Tiling floors should be around 150-250 per M2 labour only ( I'm paying 250b and feel I'm getting ripped off)

Rendering 80-150 per m2 they supply materials ( I'm paying 130)

Those prices are from Hua Hin where it's cheaper than Bangkok but more expensive than non tourist provences.

Can you please explain to me what is conwood and the 400 per m2 why so expensive does that include materials?

12 hours ago, luwahn said:

12 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I used 6 inch fiberglass blankets and they did the trick fer me...but that was nearly 15 years ago...there may be more effective/cheaper thermal insulation materials available for this purpose these days...if you google there may be some info available in this regard or, ye just gots t'see what's available...

Can't find a link right now, but I know they sell this type of gypsum+insulation in Thailand:

Gyproc-ThermaLine-PIR.jpg

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gyproc-thermaline-pir

Tutsiwarrior's suggestion of 6" fiberglass would probably give better insulation and perhaps be cheaper, but the gypsum with attached insulation should be easier to install and far better than no insulation.

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Painting a ceiling costs half what it costs to build one? Seems unlikely given that it only takes a couple of minutes to paint a sqm of ceiling with a roller.

Why are you paying 240B if it should be around 100B? Or is that for building the ceiling? Or building and painting it?

24O baht per M2 is for everything - -aluminum framing, gypsum, tape, grout, etc and labour. After they finish it's ready to paint.

100 baht Per m2 is for paint and labour 

For gypsum board installation every province will have a team or several teams of people that specialize in installation. If you buy your gypsum board from a building supplier or better still a shop that only sells gypsum then they will have access to the installation teams. All the shops use the same teams and the price is pretty much standard within 10 or 20 baht per sqm. You should do this yourself, don't  use a contractor as he will just use the same teams the shop recommends and add a margin for doing nothing.

Conwood is kind of a cement plank made by Saim Cement.

if you zoom in on the top left hand corner of the pic below you can see the conwood detail. I dont remember the exact price but I think it was around 500baht per square meter installed and painted.

For insulation I had the underside of the roof tiles sprayfoamed and that was around 500 baht per square meter. It's a lot more expensive than bats but it really does make a difference ( my opinion ) and the roof is totally sealed.

IMG_0837.JPG

On Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 3:15 PM, AJBangkok said:

Conwood is kind of a cement plank made by Saim Cement.

if you zoom in on the top left hand corner of the pic below you can see the conwood detail. I dont remember the exact price but I think it was around 500baht per square meter installed and painted.

For insulation I had the underside of the roof tiles sprayfoamed and that was around 500 baht per square meter. It's a lot more expensive than bats but it really does make a difference ( my opinion ) and the roof is totally sealed.

IMG_0837.JPG

Hello AJ, thanks for that and I can see you are finishing your house to a very high standard. My budget will have to be kept fairly low at below 1m Baht (especially with the exchange rate after Brexit) for a 100sq.M house. Conwood obviously would be the way to go if there were no budget restrictions but the modern house I am now renting the external sofits are only made with plasterboard and they are now over six years old and still look like new and probably they would only cost half as much as Conwood. Yes the plaster board would soon deteriorate if it got wet but it would be cheaper to replace. I will get quotes for Conwood and for plasterboard and if there is not too much difference then I will go for the Conwood.

On 11/8/2016 at 2:57 PM, hocuspocus said:

Hello AJ, thanks for that and I can see you are finishing your house to a very high standard. My budget will have to be kept fairly low at below 1m Baht (especially with the exchange rate after Brexit) for a 100sq.M house. Conwood obviously would be the way to go if there were no budget restrictions but the modern house I am now renting the external sofits are only made with plasterboard and they are now over six years old and still look like new and probably they would only cost half as much as Conwood. Yes the plaster board would soon deteriorate if it got wet but it would be cheaper to replace. I will get quotes for Conwood and for plasterboard and if there is not too much difference then I will go for the Conwood.

In that case use the green water resistant gypsum board. The price is only slightly higher than the normal gypsum board. All building supply shops have it and you should be using it on your bathroom ceilings as well.

6 hours ago, AJBangkok said:

In that case use the green water resistant gypsum board. The price is only slightly higher than the normal gypsum board. All building supply shops have it and you should be using it on your bathroom ceilings as well.

OK thanks for that AJ

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 0:42 PM, AJBangkok said:

The green board isn't for ceilings,It's for walls. The green and blue board is water resistant but it isn't the same as ceiling board. 

You might want to see options for name brand gypsum boards at a better builders merchants in your area. You might pick and pay for the gypsum boards you feel suit your purposes. The installation team will do the aluminum framing, taping, mud work but installing boards that might be appropriate for specific rooms. Even on a tight budget, it is worth considering thicker gypsum for a master bedroom. A kitchen and a bathroom should have different gypsum ceilings than a closet, bedroom or living room. Even in rural Isaan it is easy to select from Knauf or Gyproc brand gypsum boards. 

Gyproc Gypsum Board celing Isaan.JPG

Gyproc Habito Ceiling Gypsum boards.JPG

Why do people keep saying different ceilings in different areas?  It just confuses the man. 

The only difference is there's ceiling sheets,  and then there's wall sheets besides cement sheet for eaves. 

Edited by upside
add

Just got quoted 270b supply and install. That's left ready to paint but not including insulation. 86,940b total and its  322 metres of ceilings only. 

Thats flat ceilings only,  no coffers,  bulkheads etc etc. 

House is out in the country. 

He's our first quote and I've got a couple others to look still. 

I just finished the garage ceilings. About 75 m2 and B 280 per m2 . They used the waterproof type of gypsum. My wife said that included painting.

I used the spray foam before in the Pattaya place, good insulation and thief protection, but expensive as noted.

You can get that double sided reflective coated insulation in the big stores, and there is/was an old thread where someone did a comparison between the different types of insulation.

So pics of my gyprock installation included.

eb4488404585192ddf6299d600a40d0a.jpg

c49d7531e5a906a18db9778ee5556630.jpg

acadd83a42d78e588a19b4d16f386c1d.jpg

c2e75264b6f2a2aa1c51f3aa14dce4eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, upside said:

Just got quoted 270b supply and install. That's left ready to paint but not including insulation. 86,940b total and its  322 metres of ceilings only. 

Thats flat ceilings only,  no coffers,  bulkheads etc etc. 

House is out in the country. 

He's our first quote and I've got a couple others to look still. 

Wife said does include paint. My mistake. 

Same guy has now dropped his first price of 270b down to 160b. Using Chang board which is apparently good quality? His company also does electrical so perhaps he'll try and make up his profit there, I'm not sure. 

Hes yet to look at the house, so stay tuned!