UPS - Output Voltage to high ~260V

retoocs01

I have a cheapish cleanline UPS, which is now 4-5 years old and the third battery is dead now.

I would replace the battery again (probably with a better one this time), but I've noticed that the output voltage is way too high ~260V.

I used a multi-meter to check, because I thought the value, shown on the UPS's display could be wrong, but no, 260V as well.

So what do you think, better replace the whole unit, or just the battery?

You measured at open terminals nothing connected?

My idea is repeat measurement with some load.

Connect some multiple socket outlet.

Plug in/connect some cheapish/robust thing, preferably a lamp with an old fashioned bulb.

Redo measurement.

Better in the electrical forum where the pro's are.

I got tired of buying UPS - put the money towards an inverter. Replace my car battery, use it in the house. Connect battery charger to battery, connect battery to inverter, connect computer, TV, Stereo to inverter. Now have zero worries of voltage spikes, brownouts, frequency changes, undervoltage. Inverter takes care of it all, and I am no longer at the mercy of the replacement battery in the UPS Gods.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

You measured at open terminals nothing connected?

My idea is repeat measurement with some load.

Connect some multiple socket outlet.

Plug in/connect some cheapish/robust thing, preferably a lamp with an old fashioned bulb.

Redo measurement.

Better in the electrical forum where the pro's are.

It doesn't make any difference, even with a table lamp, the results are almost identical.

This started about one year ago.

When the UPS was new, or better, two-three years old, the output voltage was always roughly the same as the input voltage.

I agree, the electrical forum might be more appropriate, some Mod may move this thread.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

I got tired of buying UPS - put the money towards an inverter. Replace my car battery, use it in the house. Connect battery charger to battery, ...

Or use a decent solar panel to charge the battery, but this setup seems a little bit oversized, even it's a good idea :)

The fact that one of the UPS batteries is dead is probably the reason for the high voltage, when it is charged.  Try running it flat, then connect it to the mains and measure the voltage.  There's a good chance it'll be "normal" while it is charging.  If so - replace the dud battery :)

Also don't worry too much, 260V is still within (though at the high end of) acceptable levels for a 240V system, and all equipment will be able to cope with it:

in the UK it is from 94% up to 110% of nominal at the service, or from 217 volts up to 253 volts for a nominal 230 volt service.
Voltage at the outlet could be as high as 256 volts (253 + about 1% voltage rise due to grid tied PV) or as low as 205 volts with the service at 217 volts and about 5% drop in the consumers installation.
In parts of Europe anything between 200 and 260 at the service is good.

38 minutes ago, jpinx said:

The fact that one of the UPS batteries is dead is probably the reason for the high voltage, when it is charged.  Try running it flat, then connect it to the mains and measure the voltage.  There's a good chance it'll be "normal" while it is charging.  If so - replace the dud battery :)

OK, tried that...

When running flat (not connected to the mains) the voltage is about 220V with a connected table lamp.

But when I connect it to the mains, the output voltage rises immediately up to 260V.

Just now, retoocs01 said:

OK, tried that...

When running flat (not connected to the mains) the voltage is about 220V with a connected table lamp.

But when I connect it to the mains, the output voltage rises immediately up to 260V.

If it was me - I'd replace the dud battery and carefully check the others - they may be dying too.  Do the numbers before paying out for 2 or 3 new batteries though - it might be cheaper to get another cheep-n-cheerful UPS ;)

2 minutes ago, jpinx said:

If it was me - I'd replace the dud battery and carefully check the others - they may be dying too.  Do the numbers before paying out for 2 or 3 new batteries though - it might be cheaper to get another cheep-n-cheerful UPS ;)

This UPS has only one battery, so it might better to replace it, before it fries something more expensive?

I've replaced my dead PC power-supply a few months ago already, probably caused by the permanent over-voltage...

3 minutes ago, retoocs01 said:

This UPS has only one battery, so it might better to replace it, before it fries something more expensive?

I've replaced my dead PC power-supply a few months ago already, probably caused by the permanent over-voltage...

Fairy snuff ;)  But do the maths -- there's so many cheepie ones around nowadays.  Thailand is not cheap for these things - you'll do better on somewhere like amazon.co.uk  - assuming you can sort out delivery etc...

13 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Fairy snuff ;)  But do the maths -- there's so many cheepie ones around nowadays.  Thailand is not cheap for these things - you'll do better on somewhere like amazon.co.uk  - assuming you can sort out delivery etc...

Too much hassle.. :)

Meanwhile I've found this one on on Lazada:

http://www.lazada.co.th/bcn-ups-micro-eco-1000va-black-313440.html

Watching the reviews and the price, it seems decent enough for my purposes.

Though I like the aforementioned "car battery - inverter - solar panel" solution much more :D

Before you go off doing the charger-battery-inverter solution (with or without solar) don't forget to price up a charger that can keep up with the discharge rate of your load and charge the battery (and compare with an on-line UPS which is effectively what you are building).

There is only one name in UPS technology - APC - not cheap but acknowledged as the best by the IT community.

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Before you go off doing the charger-battery-inverter solution (with or without solar) don't forget to price up a charger that can keep up with the discharge rate of your load and charge the battery (and compare with an on-line UPS which is effectively what you are building).

There is only one name in UPS technology - APC - not cheap but acknowledged as the best by the IT community.

OP could also try MGE UPS, their UPS systems are manufactured by Schneider Electric, the same company that owns APC.