Dim Sum In Bangkok

Dennis01

I am arriving in Bangkok in 3 weeks - have just purchased a condo in Silom area. So far in past visits I cannot find a Dim Sum (in Aus we call it Yum Cha) restaurant in Bangkok. I know that some of the big hotels have Dim Sum but they are expensive and mainly for tourists.

Is there any restuarants in China town that have Dim Sum? I would appreciate your help.

Yes chinatown has many.

Also underneath the Asoke bts station on Sukhumvit, between the sheraton and the station there is a dim sum restaurant. I found it rather bland when compared to dim sum on a sunday in chinatown in little bourke st Melbourne and similar in Sydney.

Shoot me down, but I actually like the dim sum at MK restaurants, it is tasty, for me anyway, but I also like vegemite and pie floaters.

Yes chinatown has many.

Also underneath the Asoke bts station on Sukhumvit, between the sheraton and the station there is a dim sum restaurant. I found it rather bland when compared to dim sum on a sunday in chinatown in little bourke st Melbourne and similar in Sydney.

Shoot me down, but I actually like the dim sum at MK restaurants, it is tasty, for me anyway, but I also like vegemite and pie floaters.

Thanks for your reply Nawtilus. I am looking for a restaurant that the waiters walk around with a tray or trolley of many dim sum dishes and the customer says 'yes' or 'no'. Does this happen in Bangkok??

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a hotel restaurant, but I thought The China House (Mandarin Oriental) had awesome dim sum - it was so fresh and sumptious. Rated it above many HK restos (I'm going to be shot now!) Wonder what it's like now that the China House has been renovated...

• 2 weeks later...

Go to where the Thai Chinese go, there are some old establishments in the silom area.

Some that come to mind :

1. The Shangarila next to the Thaniya Plaza carpark, off Silom.

2. The China Palace on Si Phraya Road

3. The Silver Palace on Soi Pipat, off Silom

4. The Grand Palace on Soi Mahesak, off Silom

By the way, "Yum Cha" as you call in Oz, means "Drink Tea" in Cantonese, which was the original purpose, during which small dishes of Dim Sum are served to accompany the tea. Sort of like having Tapas to go with evening drinks.

Purists of the Yum Cha experience still focus on the Tea as opposed to the food. As a test of the authencity of the Dim Sum restaurant, i'd often ask the waiters what sorts of Chinese Tea they have available. I can confirm that most Dim Sum houses in Bangkok are pretty dismal on the variety of Teas served, with the exception of the Chinese restaurant at The Peninsula Hotel across the river, which serves an impressive array of fine China teas, including Oolong, Tie Guanyin (Goddess of Mercy), Monkey Pick, Pu'er, Long Jing (Dragon Well), Xue Xian etc..

Enjoy.

• 4 months later...

Go to a restaurant called Lumba Lumba at Lang Suan Plonchit, all you can eat dim sum :o during lunch for B199 ++

I am arriving in Bangkok in 3 weeks - have just purchased a condo in Silom area. So far in past visits I cannot find a Dim Sum (in Aus we call it Yum Cha) restaurant in Bangkok. I know that some of the big hotels have Dim Sum but they are expensive and mainly for tourists.

Is there any restuarants in China town that have Dim Sum? I would appreciate your help.

• 1 month later...

Asia Hotel has a dim sum buffet for about 350 baht which is fairly good but not top quality. Have also read that the Arnoma Hotel across from the Central World Plaza has a good Chinese dim sum buffet but have not tried it as yet. However the service at the Arnoma Hotel has always been great on those occasions that I have been there. Have also tried the dim sum buffet at Asoke Station and agree that it is of poor quality unless you are a pork fat fiend.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to China Palace on Sri Praya road or Evergreen Hotel on Sathorn, the latter is quite pricey but both have definately been voted by Thais, Thai-Chinese as best dim sum places in BKK.

I go there with my Thai chinese friends and family

Go to China Palace on Sri Praya road or Evergreen Hotel on Sathorn, the latter is quite pricey but both have definately been voted by Thais, Thai-Chinese as best dim sum places in BKK.

I go there with my Thai chinese friends and family

I have not been to the Evergreen Hotel but would definitely concur with the recommendation of the China Palace on Siphaya.

It's a little hard to find however, about 150 meters or so from Rama IV on the left side of Siphaya, a very small sign directs you into a short lane where the restaurant is located, i.e. it's not actually ON Siphaya Road.

Patrick

I've been to the Evergreen and really didn't think much of it. Soggy and greasy if I remember rightly.

At the food area of Emporium, a Chinese resto has opened a small outlet. I think it's Grand Palace or something. Next to Fumi Japanese outlet. Anyhow, dimsum there was really not bad. Sort of reminded me of Chinatown in London :o

I used to go to this all you can eat dim sum place at the ambassador hotel on sukhumvit soi 11. not as good as hong kong, but ok. don't know if it is still there though. second floor.

I saw a sign at the grand diamond that offers an all you can eat dim sum. grand diamond is next to pantip plaza. but have not tried it.

at mbk on the 5th floor there is a new dim sum place. sort of small though.

have you tried any of the oiishi restaurants? the oiishi express over on rachada in the jusco building offers several dim sum dishes as part of their all you can eat sushi/sashimi/chinese food offerings. ha kao, siu mai, chasiu bao.

just skimmed the Nation and read about the dim sum place at the Ambassador! It's an all you can eat for around 375 baht, plus dessert, drink and main dish I think. It caters a bit for the 'little arabia' crowd by having lots of veggie dimsum, or porkless dimsum. I might give it a go

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...