Wiang Kaen District

Baz78

Hi all,

Newbie here, just signed up.

I've been offered a job in Wiang Kaen and wondering if anyone has any information/recommendations about the place. 

I've been googling all afternoon but struggling to find anything of relevance really. 

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Baz

Small town way out in the country just before the mountains by the Mae Khong river. Big hill tribe area. I've driven through a few times on the way to some of the parks in the mountains. It has a 7-11 but that's about all I've noticed. Some small resorts that cater to Thais in high season. Seems pleasant enough if you enjoy rural Thai towns. About 2 hours to Chiang Rai and 45 minutes to Chiang Khong. Big local talat or farmers market. 

Living a working in Wiang Kaen would be a very remote existence and would require traveling to Chiang Khong for anything other than what the local outdoor markets can provide.  If you have a car and like driving on country roads then you might enjoy the remoteness.   I am guessing that most of the foreigners you may encounter in that area will be missionary types harvesting the souls of hill tribe people.

24 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Living a working in Wiang Kaen would be a very remote existence and would require traveling to Chiang Khong for anything other than what the local outdoor markets can provide.  If you have a car and like driving on country roads then you might enjoy the remoteness.   I am guessing that most of the foreigners you may encounter in that area will be missionary types harvesting the souls of hill tribe people.

Interesting.

Shouldn't these missionary types have a much bigger potential harvest in stopping all that sinfull smiling in bigger cities?

11 minutes ago, johnhw said:

Interesting.

Shouldn't these missionary types have a much bigger potential harvest in stopping all that sinfull smiling in bigger cities?

We city dwellers have already accepted our damnation, and aside from the outrageous prices at Villa Market, it's not a bad place to spend eternity. 

Edited by tonray

6 minutes ago, johnhw said:

Interesting.

Not necessarily.  The hill tribe people, being the most vulnerable group in Thailand, are the preferred prey of human traffickers, drug lords, religious groups and the various other predators who seek out the weak and vulnerable.

3 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Not necessarily.  The hill tribe people, being the most vulnerable group in Thailand, are the preferred prey of human traffickers, drug lords, religious groups and the various other predators who seek out the weak and vulnerable.

Was set to pontificate a thumbs up when I reminded myself how true...and sad 

12 minutes ago, Baz78 said:

Hmmm, might need to reconsider. I don't mind being out in the sticks but I'd rather be relatively close to civilisation. 

I was just there a couple of weeks ago to attend a wedding - it is quite remote and not much to do... if you drive 30 minutes, you can get to Chiang Khong which seemed half closed up when I went through there. Yes, there is a 7/11 and your typical markets... and there is a small Tesco in Chiang Khong.... unless you really want the job, you are not finding much when you google because there is not much there to find...

Always best to go look first before accepting a job...