"Road block hero" could face prosecution as Korat police circle the wagons

webfact

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

The senior dirty cop was no doubt furious that a stream of revenue was stopped.

Shameful that the more senior cops don't take action against him.

The national police chief and his senior men must be very busy as they never seem to have the time to bother with what's going on in their organisation but like the PM the chief does speak out about the small things. He was right in there saying the would be celeb who lost his temper big time should be prosecuted because it was of ' public interest '.

Directives issued about re-enactments ignored.

Directives about road blocks ignored.

The fact that his authority is ignored means nothing and he hasn't exactly cracked the whip and enforced discipline.

When something embarrassing emerges the response is to try and deal with the person(s) who dared expose it not the situation and the BIB involved

At the highest levels in this country there is absolutely no leadership so what do they do with their time ?

I won't pursue that question.

look this is asia as it always was...indonesia/thailand/burma/vietnam/cambodia/india/nepal/bangladesh etc.etc....here in asia you need to pay money to get a pretty low paid job and u need to pay alot...so once u have the job u can make money from bribes ...government clerks....officials of any kind....and the top of the cream are cops.....I attendet many bribe bargains between thais and their cops....finally they pay up and smie...law like in falang country do not really exist maybe exist just to make money from...if a rich falang come and bring money to buy something here sure they will try to get him in one or another way....best is when the dildos do drugs.....or if not they get set up with drugs...so to make u pay or 50 years in the hole...sure u pay alot and fast....as I say this is asia old style only dreamers and falangs believe in law...

On 11/9/2016 at 7:17 AM, colinneil said:

Korat police have lost face on this 1, so they will have to do something.

Cannot allow an upstart to make fools of us.

Time  for him to move i think, before he has a serious unexplained accident.

...must be getting crowded in this place they move them to.

On 09/11/2016 at 11:26 AM, alfalfa19 said:

i wonder if they were the kind of roadblocks and cones i have encountered in thailand.  the kind which are set up in an impromptu manner,  and require 200 baht to depart? 

I don't know where your from, but back in the old country, you would be required to pay at least x 20 or even 30, 40 x, and lose points on your license, or lose it completely depending on the speed you got caught doing, or no seat belt, going slow in fast lane, and no greasing the cops back there, so I don't mind feeding the monkeys here occasionally because it costs peanuts, that and my licence is in tact, and not wearing a seat belt makes me just so much more comfortable, without the fear of being fined a grossly amount.

Edited by 4MyEgo

41 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know where your from, but back in the old country, you would be required to pay at least x 20 or even 30, 40 x, and lose points on your license, or lose it completely depending on the speed you got caught doing, or no seat belt, going slow in fast lane, and no greasing the cops back there, so I don't mind feeding the monkeys here occasionally because it costs peanuts, that and my licence is in tact, and not wearing a seat belt makes me just so much more comfortable, without the fear of being fined a grossly amount.

Yep, exact what many Thais think, that's why they don't bother with insurance.

On 09/11/2016 at 3:00 PM, Khun Paul said:

If the law was cleared up to make sure it was clear to all parties then the Police would not be able to run their money making scams , but of course the POLICE will NEVER clean uip their act as they appear to be able to do what they want, when they want and to whom ( normally the lower echelons of society ) they want with impunity. After 15 years I was told my spotlights were illegal even though the law is clear. How corrupt is that I ask. cast 200Thb for a legal addition to my vehicle. go figure. .

Forget about principal in Thailand, cheap to feed the monkeys, just smile and laugh because they think they are ripping you, that's a ladybar drink...lol

Like I said, forget principal, shouldn't let the blood boil over such a small amount, seriously, I hear you, but accept Thainess and you will enjoy the ride, that or haggle when your at the markets next time to re-coupe your 200 baht, just think, they have to be beneath you to scam you for 200 baht, did I say "monkeys" ?

40 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't agree with that, Insurance should be compulsory, otherwise they shouldn't be on the road !

That's the point. Nobody should be allowed to cherry pick the part of the law they do not agree with. Be it the wearing of seat belts or the none purchase of insurance.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

That's the point. Nobody should be allowed to cherry pick the part of the law they do not agree with. Be it the wearing of seat belts or the none purchase of insurance.

Just for the record, I have never cherry picked for not wearing a seat belt, what I was saying is that its so affordable not to wear one, I mean what's the fine 400 baht ? compared to back home. Sure up the fines and the belts on like back home.

On 11/9/2016 at 7:26 AM, alfalfa19 said:

i wonder if they were the kind of roadblocks and cones i have encountered in thailand.  the kind which are set up in an impromptu manner,  and require 200 baht to depart? 

They are the most common. I used to say they usually appeared in the last 10 days of a month when the cops are running a bit short of funds, but the seem to pop up at all times these days.

:closedeyes:

On 11/9/2016 at 4:12 PM, harleyclarkey said:

The senior dirty cop was no doubt furious that a stream of revenue was stopped.

Shameful that the more senior cops don't take action against him.

The stream of revenue runs uphill

On 11/5/2016 at 7:56 PM, boomerangutang said:

Whether it costs more to execute a convicted criminal or to keep that person on death row forever is debatable.  Either way, it's very expensive.   In NY state, it costs about $68k/yr to keep a person incarcerated.  At Guantanamo, it costs about $900k/yr !     Whenever the US government does (or buys) anything it's always extremely expensive.

On 11/8/2016 at 4:47 PM, terminatorchiangmai said:

This guy watched to many you tube clips about guy's telling the police are doing unlawful stops.

That might work in the US but not in Thailand !

Wrong!  It wouldn't work in the United States either.   In fact, the man may have been handcuffed and led off to think on what he was doing.  You certainly don't walk up in the middle of a police action and critique them.  Plain arrogant.  He should have made his case at the police office if he didn't like something.

On 11/9/2016 at 8:43 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Just for the record, I have never cherry picked for not wearing a seat belt, what I was saying is that its so affordable not to wear one, I mean what's the fine 400 baht ? compared to back home. Sure up the fines and the belts on like back home.

Wearing of seat belts is proven to save lives................ WORLDWIDE...................... Up To You................  But I 'buckle up' for my own safety, and for the law secondly........

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2016 at 7:06 AM, trogers said:

Make Entrapment legal as Singapore has done.

This would induce fear in offering and accepting bribes.

Unintended consequences much?

A large percentage of males in the Kingdom, could be then arrested for soliciting prostitutes. 

Of course, Singapore avoid this by making prostitution legal, which if nothing else is pragmatic.

Now if only they'd apply that to illegal substances (Opium was legal in Singapore until a few decades ago, it was cultural before Nixon and his hand-outs got involved, nothing to do with the disastrous War on Science, er, drugs.)

On 14/11/2016 at 11:20 AM, sawadeeken said:

Wearing of seat belts is proven to save lives................ WORLDWIDE...................... Up To You................  But I 'buckle up' for my own safety, and for the law secondly........

Ageed, And Good luck getting insurance to pay up if they find out a claimant was unsecured in an accident, and the injuries will be the giveaway, assuming they survive.

A large percentage of males in the Kingdom, could be then arrested for soliciting prostitutes. 

Of course, Singapore avoid this by making prostitution legal, which if nothing else is pragmatic.

Now if only they'd apply that to illegal substances (Opium was legal in Singapore until a few decades ago, it was cultural before Nixon and his hand-outs got involved, nothing to do with the disastrous War on Science, er, drugs.)

A brave but unwise move.

He may have had a leg to stand on if he was personally harassed illegally.

But as it is, it seems he has, by inserting himself into a matter of legal pedantry, done something far more serious in the Thai mind, and that is caused a massive loss of face, particularly to an authority organisation.

Not particularly wise, however morally and legally correct.

3 hours ago, dhream said:

Opium was legal in Singapore when the British was the colonial master, and made illegal when Singapore became independent. Guess who sold the opium...?

21 minutes ago, trogers said:

Opium was legal in Singapore when the British was the colonial master, and made illegal when Singapore became independent. Guess who sold the opium...?

Not the entire story. The Singapore Government literally 'Grandfathered' Opium into illegality. I know this because my exes now deceased maternal Grandpa would take her to a legal opium den in her pram, and getting into all sorts of bother from Grandma for doing so!

That infant is barely 40 now, so it was some time after independence when the last old Chinaman died of old age, and they then closed the den doors.

Proof that, opium is not 'deadly' when used correctly, and the whole 'war on' is mostly a moral panic fabrication, serving powerful vested interests with much to lose from ending prohibition, not least the legal system, and LEO's involved.

If it was good enough for Queen Victoria, -yet another long lived opium user- and dinosaur Keef Richards, it's good enough for us harried plebs as well. OK, it's back to your regular BiB programming now...

1 hour ago, dhream said:

Not the entire story. The Singapore Government literally 'Grandfathered' Opium into illegality. I know this because my exes now deceased maternal Grandpa would take her to a legal opium den in her pram, and getting into all sorts of bother from Grandma for doing so!

That infant is barely 40 now, so it was some time after independence when the last old Chinaman died of old age, and they then closed the den doors.

Proof that, opium is not 'deadly' when used correctly, and the whole 'war on' is mostly a moral panic fabrication, serving powerful vested interests with much to lose from ending prohibition, not least the legal system, and LEO's involved.

If it was good enough for Queen Victoria, -yet another long lived opium user- and dinosaur Keef Richards, it's good enough for us harried plebs as well. OK, it's back to your regular BiB programming now...

Nope. The British first made Opium processing illegal after WW2. But this was not sufficient to arrest rampant drug abuse. The Singapore government then imposed the death penalty to drug trafficking in 1975 to address the problem.

Google for the history of Opium in Singapore.