Outrage and fear fuel continuing anti-Trump protests

rooster59

Outrage and fear fuel continuing anti-Trump protests

TERRENCE PETTY, Associated Press

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Rowdy protests continued for a second night in Portland, Oregon, as people around the country protested Donald Trump's presidential election victory.

In Portland, police used tear gas and flash-bang grenades Friday to try to disperse the crowd after hundreds of people marched through the city, disrupting traffic and spray-painting graffiti. Authorities said "burning projectiles" were thrown at police and vandalism and assault had taken place during the rally, which organizers had billed as peaceful earlier in the day.

In other parts of the country, there were spirited demonstrations on college campuses and peaceful marches along downtown streets.

Evening marches disrupted traffic in Miami and Atlanta.

Trump supporter Nicolas Quirico was traveling from South Beach to Miami. His car was among hundreds stopped when protesters blocked Interstate 395.

"Trump will be our president. There is no way around that, and the sooner people grasp that, the better off we will be," he said. "There is a difference between a peaceful protest and standing in a major highway backing up traffic for 5 miles. This is wrong."

Hundreds of protesters took to the streets across California after night fell including downtown Los Angeles, where over 200 were arrested a night earlier. In Bakersfield, where Trump is far more popular than in most of the state, some held signs reading "Anti-Trump, Pro-USA."

Small protests also were held in Detroit; Minneapolis; Kansas City, Missouri; Olympia, Washington and Iowa City.

Hundreds joined an afternoon "love rally" in Washington Square Park in Manhattan.

Leslie Holmes, 65, a website developer from Wilton, Connecticut, took an hour-long train ride to the demonstration — her first protest since the 1970s, when she hit the streets of San Francisco to oppose the Vietnam War.

She described herself as an armchair liberal but declared, "I'm not going to be armchair anymore."

"I don't want to live in a country where my friends aren't included, and my friends are fearful, and my children are going to grow up in a world that's frightening, and my granddaughters can look forward to being excluded from jobs and politics and fulfilling their potential, so I'm here for them," she said.

More than 200 people, carrying signs gathered on the steps of the Washington state Capitol. The group chanted "not my president" and "no Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA."

In Tennessee, Vanderbilt University students sang civil rights songs and marched through campus across a Nashville street, temporarily blocking traffic. A protest also occurred in Minneapolis.

In Chicago, multiple groups planned protests through Saturday.

Nadia Gavino, 25, learned about the rallies on Twitter and protested Thursday evening. Gavino, whose father is from Peru and whose mother is of Mexican and Lithuanian heritage, said she took Trump's harshest statements about immigrants and Latinos personally.

"I obviously agree that he's racist, he's sexist, he's phobic, he's misogynistic. He's all these things you don't want in a leader," she said.

Ashley Lynne Nagel, 27, said she joined a Thursday night demonstration in Denver.

"I have a leader I fear for the first time in my life," said Nagel, a Bernie Sanders supporter who voted for Hillary Clinton.

"It's not that we're sore losers," she said. "It's that we are genuinely upset, angry, terrified that a platform based off of racism, xenophobia and homophobia has become so powerful and now has complete control of our representation."

Demonstrations also were planned Saturday in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and other areas.

Previous demonstrations drew thousands of people in New York and other large urban centers. The largely peaceful demonstrations were overshadowed by sporadic episodes of vandalism, violence and street-blocking.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-12

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"It's not that we're sore losers," she said. "It's that we are genuinely upset, angry, terrified that a platform based off of racism, xenophobia and homophobia has become so powerful and now has complete control of our representation."

A student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette fabricated a story that she was attacked and had her hijab rippped off, police said Thursday. The attack was one of several reported in the wake of Donald Trump’s election victory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/10/women-in-hijabs-on-2-campuses-say-they-were-attacked-by-men-invoking-donald-trump/

39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Ashley Lynne Nagel, 27, said she joined a Thursday night demonstration in Denver.

"I have a leader I fear for the first time in my life," said Nagel, a Bernie Sanders supporter who voted for Hillary Clinton.

This woman is a nutter.

In fact, every person described and quoted in this news article is thinking and acting hysterical and illogical. 

Are these honestly the future leaders of our country? 

God help us.

Edited by ClutchClark

56 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

This woman is a nutter.

In fact, every person described and quoted in this news article is thinking and acting hysterical and illogical. 

God help us.

Most of the are nutters. Professional basket weaving students going to college for ten years, spoiled brats living with mommie and daddy, no jobs and no responsibility snowflakes.

Fear:  Fear of working, fear of taking care of themselves, fear of hearing or seeing things that might hurt their snowflake feeling, fear of learning how the world really works, fear that they paid no attention to the claims that the polls leading up to the election were rigged - biased... very fearful to learn that you were stupid not to pay attention ... 

The Darwin Principle will take care of these fearful snowflakes who cannot recognize pure false propaganda that they suck in like a vacuum cleaner... 

Donald Trump -- not one single sign that he was a racist in all of his 69 years until he challenged a leftist Democrat in the Presidential election.. How about being fearful of LIES?  

If they don't like the president elect and want to demonstrate in such away that it is disturbing, hurting fellow citizens then maybe they should <deleted> off and live in Mexico. There they will find thuggery is an everyday way of life. 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

USA is a free country, folk can protest if they like within the law...That's what our freedom is about....No good some of you saying derogatory stuff against them, if they want to speak they can...

And that includes destroying property? Those violent ones should go to jail. THAT'S  the law or does the law exempt rabid democrats and their moron teachers?

1 minute ago, Gary A said:

And that includes destroying property? Those violent ones should go to jail. THAT'S  the law or does the law exempt rabid democrats and their moron teachers?

Sounds like you are calling half the voting population of the USA "morons", think that is a bit over the top...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Sounds like you are calling half the voting population of the USA "morons", think that is a bit over the top...

I didn't call all democrats morons, just the rabid ones and their rabid teachers. As you mentioned, I can protest if I want.

27 minutes ago, transam said:

USA is a free country, folk can protest if they like within the law...That's what our freedom is about....No good some of you saying derogatory stuff against them, if they want to speak they can...

You said it "Protest within the law". If smashing things up and stopping people going about their lawful busines is peaceful then I'm a monkey's uncle.

My daughter has a shop in downtown Portland which she's had to close. She's a big HC supporter. Don't think she'll be saying thank you to her fellow lefties.

Edited by jesimps

Trump has proposed:

- A ban on muslims from entering the country. His own vice-president has said this would be unconstitutional but when given a chance to quell fear he in the debates he did not do so (choosing to ignore the question and just talk in rhetoric).

- Has plans to deport illegal or undocumented immigrants.

- Would like to amend the 14th amendment which grants citizenship to anyone born in the U.S.

- Feels that racial profiling is okay.

- Has proposed that muslims should carry around a special identification.

- Has called Mexican immigrants rapists and murderers. 

- His surrogates routinely spoke about the "muslim problem".

This obviously affects a lot of people. Unless you are a native american, Americans are all immigrants, and one of the most important liberties in the American Constitution is Freedom of Religion. If your a Muslim-American, a Mexican-American, or if you just don't like seeing your fellow citizen's rights being trampled upon, then you have every right to go out and protest. Rioting is a different story. But people trying to compare this to previous elections are way off base. No modern American president has ever proposed such radical hate, it's going to receive a response.

Edited by jcsmith

50 minutes ago, transam said:

It is not the 'protest'... it is the violence that comes along with it ... burning things including flags, breaking car windows... Violence and Rioting is NOT Protest

1 minute ago, JDGRUEN said:

It is not the 'protest'... it is the violence that comes along with it ... burning things including flags, breaking car windows... Violence and Rioting is NOT Protest

What ever country that has a street protest there is always an element that will cause trouble, they come out of the woodwork...We in the UK have seen it time and time again...

8 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

The violence in D. Trump's speeches was not even covered under a modest veil. It was clearly shown off.  

Edited by Opl

Just now, transam said:

What ever country that has a street protest there is always an element that will cause trouble, they come out of the woodwork...We in the UK have seen it time and time again...

I saw one video clip showing cops subduing, and arresting such 'elements' while the rest of the 'peaceful' protesters tried to surround them and free those arrested.... Violence is contagious among hot headed protesters ...  Then those actually protesting cannot be differentiated from the violent ones...

Going in mass and blocking traffic, threatening the drivers and passengers of cars and some cars had their doors forced open and people taken out and beaten... Protest I suppose... hurting innocent people.

The violence may go too far and then the backlash by everyday people will be strong.  

11 minutes ago, JDGRUEN said:

I saw one video clip showing cops subduing, and arresting such 'elements' while the rest of the 'peaceful' protesters tried to surround them and free those arrested.... Violence is contagious among hot headed protesters ...  Then those actually protesting cannot be differentiated from the violent ones...

Going in mass and blocking traffic, threatening the drivers and passengers of cars and some cars had their doors forced open and people taken out and beaten... Protest I suppose... hurting innocent people.

The violence may go too far and then the backlash by everyday people will be strong.  

It is very possible that the morons will attempt to beat on someone who is legally armed. That's a good way to get shot.

what I really like about Trump is he works around all opposition and comes out on top.All through the election right till the last day he stood alone,the party dismissed him,the press dismissed him he had little financial backing but he won. these thugs protesting will see how stupid they are in the future when he does make America great again. When this happens will these thugs come out to cheer him I doubt it they will take what they can get and not even give him a thank you. Low life's with a bad attitude and bad behaviour.

4 minutes ago, Gary A said:

It is very possible that the morons will attempt to beat on someone who is legally armed. That's a good way to get shot.

I personally wish it would happen and not just on one occasion but at a few places.

Edited by lovelomsak

17 minutes ago, Opl said:

The violence in D. Trump's speeches was not even covered under a modest veil. It was clearly shown off.  

The violence in Trumps speeches? 

Seriously, you are comparing what you think you heard in someones voice as somehow equallig the gangstyle physical assaults against solitary Trump supporters that are appearing on videos? 

13 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

The violence in Trumps speeches? 

Seriously, you are comparing what you think you heard in someones voice as somehow equallig the gangstyle physical assaults against solitary Trump supporters that are appearing on videos? 

These street protests will weaken with the days - Speeches will remain.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/11/11202540/trump-violent

6 minutes ago, Opl said:

These street protests will weaken with the days - Speeches will remain.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/11/11202540/trump-violent

So you honestly do not understand the difference between an actual physicsl assault  against solitary Americans by rabid gangs vs what you think you heard as a threat in someones voice?

OK. Thankyou. Not worth the time and energy.

In these last few days I am really left astonished that the democrats somehow equate their party with intelligence. Perhaps they simply mean Democrats have more college degrees...but intellgence? No.

Edited by ClutchClark

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

This woman is a nutter.

God help us.

Agreed...so much for the open tolerant minds of liberals in the USA

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Can you please support this claim of yours because it is a false narrative.

Trump did not say that. 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

3 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

Absolutely a triumph for those who loathe American foreign policy. The Great Beast has finally gotten the "leader" it deserves. This is the most poetic kind of justice imaginable. May America sink  beneath the waves, never to rise again.

Yes, I'm not surprised that USA haters like this result.