UK: Labour MP Jo Cox 'murdered for political cause'

webfact

Labour MP Jo Cox 'murdered for political cause'

LONDON: -- A man shouted "This is for Britain" as he killed Labour MP Jo Cox, the Old Bailey has heard.

She was stabbed 15 times and shot three times outside her constituency surgery in Birstall, near Leeds, on 16 June - a week before the EU referendum.

Jurors were told Thomas Mair, 53, killed the mother-of-two for "political and/or ideological reasons", and had researched "far right" material in the weeks beforehand.

Mr Mair, from Birstall, denies murder.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37978582

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-11-15

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pro-Brexit campaigners didn't make this man "evil", just as Adolf Hitler didn't make the German people evil.

Like Hitler, they just told people that it was "OK" to be evil.

Nice trick.

Edited by Enoon

9 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Yes the man is crazy and has his own agenda. It was a tragedy. The remain campaign media supporters such as the BBC, didn't half 'milk it' and played on the sympathy of this tragic event. The BBC and the other media newspapers should be ashamed of themselves.

Should Jo Cox's widower also be ashamed of himself? 

"The widower of murdered MP Jo Cox has accused Nigel Farage of “spreading prejudices” and condemned the famous ‘breaking point’ poster used to campaign for Britain’s exit from the EU."

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

The Pro-Brexit campaigners didn't make this man "evil", just as Adolf Hitler didn't make the German people evil.

Like Hitler, they just told people that it was "OK" to be evil.

Nice trick.

What a disgusting assertion to make. The only individual who might not feel appalled at this dreadful episode would be the murderer himself. Most Brexiters are, as Nigel Farage rightly pointed out, "ordinary decent people" (I was going to add "like you", but considering your venomous posting, I fear this would be doing my fellow-Brexiters a disservice).

33 minutes ago, crackhouseparty said:

Nigel Farage didn't kill Jo Cox.  End of.

I think that you are missing the point - Nigel Farage spun and disseminated multiple lies about immigration in order to create unnecessary paranoia about a threat to Britishness that did not exist, with the express intent of provoking Brexit.

Nobody is suggesting that he caused her death directly, but his lies and rhetoric seems to be very much a key factor in driving this already unhinged person to commit a terrible act in an attempt to protect Britain from the threat that the Brexiters told us was all around. 

Just now, RuamRudy said:

I think that you are missing the point - Nigel Farage spun and disseminated multiple lies about immigration in order to create unnecessary paranoia about a threat to Britishness that did not exist, with the express intent of provoking Brexit.

Nobody is suggesting that he caused her death directly, but his lies and rhetoric seems to be very much a key factor in driving this already unhinged person to commit a terrible act in an attempt to protect Britain from the threat that the Brexiters told us was all around. 

Dress it up how you like, you're still blaming Nigel Farage.  Despicable.

8 minutes ago, crackhouseparty said:

Dress it up how you like, you're still blaming Nigel Farage.  Despicable.

High profile people have a duty to speak with responsibility and consideration, especially when discussing such emotive subjects. You can stick your fingers in your ears and reduce everything to black and white if you wish, but all you are demonstrating is that you are either incredibly naive or pigheaded.  

Just now, RuamRudy said:

High profile people have a duty to speak with responsibility and consideration, especially when discussing such emotive subjects. You can stick your fingers in your ears and reduce everything to black and white if you wish, but all you are demonstrating is that you are either incredibly naive or pigheaded.  

Okay then, so why is Nigel Farage not in the dock charged with inciting Jo Cox's murder?  This should be interesting.

11 minutes ago, crackhouseparty said:

Okay then, so why is Nigel Farage not in the dock charged with inciting Jo Cox's murder?  This should be interesting.

If you have to ask that question, I suspect that you would struggle to understand the answer. 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Just a far-right nutter acting alone. The left have them too. Not a member, nor acting on behalf of any political party or group.

Somewhat of a similarity with the argument made by Islamist supporters when a Lone Wolf carries out an outrage. 'Acting alone'.

Answer the question, why is Nigel Farage not in court charged with inciting murder? 

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that Farage ever intended that someone be killed for their affiliations. In fact, the look on his face when I saw him interviewed in the aftermath made it clear to me that he was as shocked as anyone else.

However that does not negate the fact that the narrative of lies that he propagated preyed directly on the fears of many, and deliberately cultivated a sense of Britain being under attack. While it might never be established as to what exactly triggered the murder, it is increasingly clear that a notion of Britain under attack was a factor.

Thank you.  You've now elevated yourself to the intellect of a 10 year old. 

I would love to hear your reasoning behind that claim, however you have not given the barest hint of reasoning in any of your other posts so I will not hold my breath.

I think I have, so let me say it once again, jeez.  Nigel Farage didn't kill Jo Cox. 

I don't doubt for a second that you think you have, but in reality you haven't.

Let me help you out a little - what you wrote above is not a reasoned statement. It is merely a statement. If you are unable to back it up with reason, it doesn't really make for constructive debate.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Somewhat of a similarity with the argument made by Islamist supporters when a Lone Wolf carries out an outrage. 'Acting alone'.

Ok then, who does your crystal ball tell you forced him to murder the MP? Or is it just wishful thinking that it's Brexit connected.

Edited by jesimps

I thought this had already been analysed and rehashed.  Why did this bob to the surface again?  Seems like really old news. :coffee1:

His trial started yesterday so a there is quite a bit of clarification and background over what happened coming out in court.