Confused re Uk visit visa

Hi,

myself on British passport and wife on thai passport plan to travel with our two children on their british passports to spend xmas in the Uk with my mother. Should my wife be applying for the 'family vistor visa' or the 'standard vistor visa'? The missus seems to think the family vistor visa is correct and that the standard visitor visa requires more documentation regarding where we'll be staying/visiting, and full itiniraries, whereas when i look at the documents required for the family visitor visa it says we MUST provide evidence of my mothers income (pensioner) etc as well as evidence of her uk immigration status which i presume means passport and then goes on to say we must provide original documents (of the passport?) as well as copies. It's just a three week trip but would appreciate some pointers as for the correct visa to apply for in this scenario.

Many thanks for all replies.

Both visa types require a similar amount of documentation and the same level of proof, for either visa your wife needs to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that her proposed visit is genuine, affordable and that, on the balance of probabilities she would return home at the conclusion of her visit.

In days gone by, not actually that long ago, a refusal for a Family Visit Visa attracted the right of appeal against the decision, that right of appeal was withdrawn a few years ago, so there is now no benefit of one over the other.

As you are husband and wife and travelling as a family, then a Family Visit Visa makes sense, but it doesn't give you a head start, as I say the proof required is exactly the same.

Your mother would only need to provide evidence of her income if she is she is paying for the trip and is thus the sponsor, that evidence would prove that she's able to afford to do so and a letter explaining why she is doing so would be helpful. There is no need for her to provide evidence of her immigration status, so no copy of passport, not everyone has one. If you are staying with you mum then an emailed letter offering accommodation would be helpful, with a brief description of the accommodation available.

An itinerary is always useful, doesn't need to be too detailed.

The most important thing to satisfy the ECO is the likelihood that your wife will return home, it seems that you live in Thailand, so evidence of your family life here, including your status would normally satisfy the ECO. If you are paying for the trip then it's you that needs to satisfy the decision maker that the trip is affordable.

It's worth having a read through the visit visa basics at the top of the Forum.