Volunteering opportunities in Thailand or neighboring countries?

cocoonclub

During my five years in Thailand, I very much enjoyed our company's CSR activities, usually one day trips to orphanages or schools for handicapped children to play with the kids, but also teaching students in a remote village. I'll soon go on a sabbatical somewhere in Asia, and am looking for such volunteering opportunities.

I remember one can always visit an orphanage in Bangkok, but I actually would like to do something more countryside/remote and extended (some weeks or so). Doesn't necessarily have to be teaching or playing with children, but would be nice to be related to disadvantaged children (orphans, handicapped children). I always wanted to (help to) build a school or kindergarten or so, just to give an example. Renovating a school could be another example, or some helping in a refugee camp (cooking, distributing meals, etc.).  

Is anyone aware of any such opportunities? Doesn't necessarily have to be Thailand, but can also be a neighboring country (or even Indonesia, Philippines etc.). I'm not expecting any kind of remuneration or allowance. I just for once want to do something more meaningful and give back a little bit. 

Any ideas?

Edited by cocoonclub

Be careful of pedantic immigration officials when doing volunteer work in Thailand.

Doing any kind of volunteer work in Thailand, whether for a day or a year, requires you to submit specific documentation to be issued the appropriate travel visa to be allowed into the country. Once in, you must then apply for a work permit as, yes, every volunteer position in Thailand requires a foreigner to have a work permit. Even though you’re not getting paid.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 10:56 AM, treehouse_ monkey said:

www.tolo-thailand.com

i  was  almost  tempted  but  then  i saw the  "sharing Gods  love"  slogan at the top...................why cant they keep this crap totally OUT of it