Colombian burglars caught on overstay - now they will be kept here much longer

webfact

Colombian burglars caught on overstay - now they will be kept here much longer

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Two Colombian men who were caught on overstay have a much more serious problem to face. They were caught with 40 expensive stolen items hidden in their bathroom.

The loot was part of thefts committed in Bangkok at several housing estates over the last few months. Some of it has already been identified as coming from a Sai Mai estate in the north of the city, reported Daily News.

John Alexander, 37, and Suma Butrago, 29, were apprehended after a raid at an address in Lat Prao Soi 101. 

Immigration found watches, necklaces, gold and diamond earrings and gold bracelets stashed in the bathroom of the property.

The men had come into Thailand on tourist visas that had run out on September 20th.

Cops had been aware a gang were thieving from various estates.

Following the arrest of the men by immigration the met police were informed.

They brought in some victims of theft from a Sai Mai estate who were able to identify five of the stolen items.

The Colombians were handed over to the Sai Mai police to being the next phase of their extended stay in the kingdom, behind bars.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-17

3 hours ago, Wanderer555 said:

Where is the country of 'Columbia'?

I have visited Colombia many times, but not sure about this place called 'Columbia'...

cheers!

Columbia |kəˈlʌmbɪə|

1 a river in NW North America which rises in the Rocky Mountains of SE British Columbia, Canada, and flows 1,953 km (1,230 miles) generally southwards into the US, where it turns westwards to enter the Pacific south of Seattle.

2 the state capital of South Carolina; population 127,029 (est. 2008).

1 hour ago, wirat69 said:

Columbia |kəˈlʌmbɪə|

1 a river in NW North America which rises in the Rocky Mountains of SE British Columbia, Canada, and flows 1,953 km (1,230 miles) generally southwards into the US, where it turns westwards to enter the Pacific south of Seattle.

2 the state capital of South Carolina; population 127,029 (est. 2008).

You should have known your question would bring this type of reply. You try to show your correctness and it becomes a case of one upmanship. 

16 hours ago, Wanderer555 said:

Where is the country of 'Columbia'?

I have visited Colombia many times, but not sure about this place called 'Columbia'...

cheers!

1. Colombian burglars caught on overstay

2. BANGKOK: -- Two Colombian men

3. The Colombians were handed over

What was your point, if any?

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Maybe it was edited before you saw the headline.

BBC did the same last week with a report on the Remembrance Day ceremony.

Nobody uses sub editors anymore, well certainly not the online versions.

Progress?

9 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The original article stated the men were 'Columbian', a misspelling of the name of the country of 'Colombia'.  It now appears that the error was corrected. 

Your confusion over my remark is understandable, and this type of confusion is why many news organizations will include a note at top of the story to explain their correction to the headline. This is an especially important requirement in the realm of digital media, and our ability to continually update or corrected previously published material.

While mistakes do happen and differences in grammar exist, I do feel 'journalists' should at the very least provide the correct spelling for names of countries and other well known entities.

Cheers

23 hours ago, lungnorm said:

So pedantic

You are entitled to your opinion, and while I typically do not comment on spelling errors made by others in the forum, I do hold those self-identifying as a news organization, (source: Daily News) to a higher standard than the general public.

After looking at other posts you have made on this forum, and given the quality and tone of those remarks, I find little benefit in placing value in your statement.

Examples per lungnorm:
"Ther is no such thing as a peaceful muslim",  "Its people like you that will be responsible for the eventual take over of the world by the barbaric muzrats.", 
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/953862-a-police-officer-shot-dead-by-suspected-militants-in-yala/#comment-11337954).

peace...

Edited by Wanderer555
Edits made to include additional remarks based on new information.