Enforcement of UK judgement in Thailand

al007

I have a situation where it is possible a lender may get judgement against me in the UK, which I do not like but is not threatening my humble existence in Thailand

Does anyone have any experience of this.

If it were enforceable in Thailand does anyone  know what the consequences might be

Any help or input appreciated

As has been said, not enforceable in Thailand (it's a civil matter) but they will try to recover the debt...

From a "Lender", they will sell the debt to a collection agency who may well get a writ to seize any uk assets in your name.

From HMRC, they can technically claw it back against any UK future Pensions.

And I was told by the Council Tax people that they'd enter my property & seize the goods if I didn't settle the arrears (house had sat empty for 3 years while I was working overseas), cheeky barstewards wouldn't even let me have the single person discount as I was living there with my UK gf before I left the uk.

I have a substantial charity acting on my behalf, and since I have a terminal illness I have been advised they can not sell the debt, and the charity is in the process of getting the lender to confirm they will not sell the debt

My lender is a a large stock exchange listed , company ; so will likely have to abide by the rules and guidelines

Others may be interested in guidelines for Standards of lending practice on the link below

https://www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Standards-of-Lending-Practice-July-16.pdf

I have no Uk assets whatsoever, except my government pension, I have been advised this is safe, but who knows?

Your pension is safe from any Private debts so nothing to worry about there & I doubt any LSE listed PLC would want the negative publicity of a public row with a major charity so will probably write it off (I'm surprised they've taken it this far).

Even if they did sell the debt, the collection agencies cannot come after you if you have no UK assets (any writ & their jurisdiction would be limited to UK).