Buying a used big bike from private party

ricktak

I am looking to buy a used big bike from a private owner, the bike is registered in a different province, I read somewhere that I have to get a form from my local land transport office, is that true and what other documents do I need to get from the seller,also how much tax is paid on a used bike, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

I am looking to buy a used big bike from a private owner, the bike is registered in a different province, I read somewhere that I have to get a form from my local land transport office, is that true and what other documents do I need to get from the seller,also how much tax is paid on a used bike, any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/942925-Transferring-a-motorcycle-#entry11149972

Sent from my SM-P355 using Tapatalk

Tax?

The best thing to do is .. If you are going to buy the bike at the sellers residence / province .. Agree the price, then go to his local DLT, hand them the green book and ask for the documents to transfer the bike to your name, get him to complete and sign them - pass these back to the clerk and get them to check the documents.

Then it's a simple procedure, of taking the bike to your local DLT, going through the process and getting the bike checked over.

It's easy to just go the offices -  don't worry too much and let the employees guide you about.

You will require a certificate of residence from immigration or a work permit to register the bike in your name.

There are other posts here asking for, just search a few pages back. When moving province, no need to change the name at his DLT and then change again at you local, although it's bound to come up pretty soon.

Be aware lots of older big bikes, from the era when there were no main dealer sold big bikes.. Are running around on recycled books. 

When done perfectly the DLT cannot tell, but 99% are not done perfectly.. Check the engine and frame numbers online to see that they are for the correct manufacturer and model and year before anything further.. If they are not, deep discounting or walk away. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 4:56 AM, LivinLOS said:

Be aware lots of older big bikes, from the era when there were no main dealer sold big bikes.. Are running around on recycled books. 

When done perfectly the DLT cannot tell, but 99% are not done perfectly.. Check the engine and frame numbers online to see that they are for the correct manufacturer and model and year before anything further.. If they are not, deep discounting or walk away. 

Thanks , How would I find out that info, go to manufacturer's website. eg. Honda?