Importing Dogs

mitmig

Hi,

Has anyone expercience in importing dogs from Holland? I have browsed the internet, but I can find out how old (or young) the healthcertificate has to be. Is there a limit? We are moving to Thailand and want to take our two Jack Russel Terriers. They have already lived in India for more than one year, so we know they will like it.

to import dogs, you must essentially choose which set of regulations you wish to follow. If you tell anyone that you are importing a dog, it's 30 days of quarantine. If you merely bring a dog(s) with you, you must have an "International Health Certificate" & that's all. The latter method does have one drawback.....if anyone ever asks about your dogs on your departure from Thailand (a highly unlikely event), you'll have to lie and tell them that they ran away, were stolen, died from eating bad food, etc. I'm plan to bring my saluki hound in a few months, and I don't think he could survive the quarantine, hence plan on the 2nd method. Good luck. walker

My girlfriend brought her dogs over from Australia. If you are flying in with the dogs you dont need an import permit. But if they are arriving by themselves you need an import permit from the department of livestock development. They need to have all neccessary vaccinations. The site below is a summary of import requirements to Thailand, its an Aussie govt site, but it has the Thai govt info

I would recommend you come over with the dogs, you cant really trust anyone to take care of your dog. You might get red tape clearing the dogs, you might have to be "smart" to clear them and avoid quarantine.

http://www.aqis.gov.au/animex/asp/Restriction.asp?ID=5155