A slighty more complicated 'Where to go' when in LOS (2 weeks)

alt

Hi all,

We are returning to LOS for our 6th time this year :) First time we had several months and explored LOS / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos.

This time we have 1 month total (28 / 29 days), so we are considering staying in Thailand rather than try and 'rush' a new country (we had originally planned Burma but decided we'll do it another year)

Just to give an idea of our interests... we're a couple (both 30) who can budget for slightly higher end accom / activities, but still like the backpakcer / meeting people buzz of LOS.

We land in BKK on Dec 9th. Plan is just 1 night there (to re-coup) as to date we have spent almost 3 weeks in BKK and feel we've seen what we want to see (we also will spend 3 nights there before we depart home).

So on Dec 10th we plan to visit Ayutthaya for a bit of relaxation for 2 nights. After that, we don't have any plans until we're booked into Koh Phangan / Kao Tao from Dec 25th - Jan 2, when we'll then return to the madness of BKK until Jan 6th.

So, that leave Dec 12 - Dec 24 free (ok, a little under 2 weeks).

Looking North from BKK, we've already been to: Kanchanaburi / Tak (visiting friends) / Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai (en-route to slow boat). We are not sure about heading as far North as Chiang Mai again as we've been there twice. Is Sukhothai worth a visit for a night or two? Are there any other relaxing / traditional towns / small cities worth visiting within a few hours of BKK? (We are happy to pay for flights BTW, but would be nice to go on from Ayutthaya rather than have to go-back on ourselves to BKK.

Alternatively, looking East from BKK. We spent a night in Pattaya before (we were flying from U-Tapao) and it was enough :) Interesting place but not for us. We're wondering if Ko Samet / Ko Chang is worth seeing for a few days? That way we could still fly out of U-Tapao down to Samui to go on to Phangan.

OR, looking South from BKK... we haven't visited Hua Hin before (I hear it's an up and coming wine region which we're very interested in). We could make our way down then to Ko Lak (been there before but would be nice to go back) and maybe even Phuket (would avoid Patpong, most likely go down to Karon etc...) and could then fly out of Phuket over to Samui to go on to Phangan. What about Ko Yao Noi (or Yai?) BTW, for the south part, we're done PhiPhi / Lanta / Krabi / Ao Nang / Lipe - all nice but would be happy to explore somewhere new.

I just don't know what to do with those free dates as we've been to most of the main areas that tourists would go to over the past few years.

I am basically asking for random advise on anywhere you'd recommend (for whatever reason, we're open minded and love relaxing in quiet towns as much as we like partying on Haad Rin), but if North of BKK within either a few hours (max 4 on bus / train) or easy flight... more open minded about going down South as we can crawl across to Phangan / Tao for the 25th.

Sukhothai is definitely worth a peek.  Very nice area with some nice old temples/stupas and peaceful.  I'd avoid Samet right now.  They are tearing down a lot of resorts there.  Chang is very nice.  Some great beaches.

What about a trip over to Angkor Wat?  It's probably the most amazing attraction in this region.  Worth a few days of your time and will be something other than a beach. Cheap flights also.

Koh Chang is definitely a possibility, but we're wondering is it too much of a trek for one destination, and in the opposite direction of our final destinations (Koh Phangan / Tao and then fly back to BKK via Chumpon). But, thank you for the advise re Samet... if they're knocking the place, not much point going. 

We've been to Ankor Wat and loved it! But for us it was a 'once off' visit... don't think I could do with being 'templed out' again :)

http://wikitravel.org/en/Khao_Sok_National_Park

Floating raft houses

There are more than 17 different floating raft houses which offer accommodation on the lake. This ranges from simple bamboo and thatch roof accommodation provided by the Thailand Department of National Parks, to luxurious floating wooden cottages. Reservations can be made through tour companies, but it is also possible to hire a long tail boat on arrival.

Thanks Craig.

Yeah, we've done 2 nights at Khao Lak and loved it! Did the Similans and loved chilling out. Suited us to stop off as we were coming up from Phuket. But boy, the bus from Lak up to BKK almost killed us! But since we'll be flying to Phuket (well, we CAN if we want to), we could just get the bus up to Khao Lak for 2 nights and then return via Koh Sok and do the floating villages, then make our way to Khao Yao Yai, then on to or other plans.

Thanks for your inspiration :)

8 hours ago, alt said:

Koh Chang is definitely a possibility, but we're wondering is it too much of a trek for one destination, and in the opposite direction of our final destinations (Koh Phangan / Tao and then fly back to BKK via Chumpon). But, thank you for the advise re Samet... if they're knocking the place, not much point going. 

We've been to Ankor Wat and loved it! But for us it was a 'once off' visit... don't think I could do with being 'templed out' again :)

From BKK to Koh Chang you always think 'oh, it's a long way to go' but it's worth going when you get there, like a lot of things.

Firstly, you're probably going to go somewhere so you'll be travelling for some time, at least. Kanchanburi is nice and few hours from BKK btw.

Koh Samet isn't far (closer than Chang) and also very pleasant. Was there in summer (low season) and beaches were lovely. I understand things may be a lot busier in Winter.

Koh Chang though, definitely go. You can get a bus from Ekkamai at 7:45am, take you right to Laem Ngop (pier) and then onto boat. You'll be in your place by 1:30pm or 2pm

Once you're there, showered and ready to go out for a late beach swim and relax or food or a few beer you will have completely forgotten that you travelled on that bus and you got up early, etc.

When I was in Samet recently I ended up with a random 3 days and I love BKK and happy to stay there but thought 'go on, I'll go Samet' - been 20 years since I been there actually. You think 'it's only 3 days' but once you get there none of that matters, you get some sun, swim, eat some food on your balcony at your hotel and just relax.

Just do it, it's worth it! After doing that I thought to myself even though it was good to get back to Samet for a change I'd have totally gone that bit further and gone to Chang as well even if I had that random few days again.

Instead of going to Koh Samet go 35kms east to Laem Mae Phim, best beaches in the area and if as you say don't mind spending a bit then stay at the Novotel or Marriot and have km's of empty beaches but both hotels have nothing near them except beaches and the Marriot is stunning. Alternatively you could pm me and stay at our brand new resort which is at Hat Mae Rhumpung west of Ban Phe, 1.5kms from the beach - wink, wink. Koh Samet will be busy but the military is quite strict on there and the nightlife closes at midnight, maybe some of the small bars stay open later but resorts like Ploy & Silver Sands are well policed.

My sister in law lives in Ayutthaya and I have to say my wife and I think it's absolutely boring and the ruins just look like red brick chimneys from old UK potteries.   

Oy! What's wrong with isaan? Khao Yai, Buriram, Phimai, Prasat Muang Tam and Prasat Phnom Rung, Khao Phra Wihan, Mekong, and pretty much any of the cities have some decent attractions, lovely area, decent people, not loads of farlangs/tourists.

How about Loei and north up to the Mekong?

Khao Yai might be worth a few days for you and then up to Kamphaeng Phet and across to Sukhothai... rent the bicycles and ride around... the historical park and that area has a very chilled out feeling with a small backpacker area right outside the gates and several guesthouses... 

Hi all.

Total change of plan! I thought that the GF wasn't interested in returning to Koh Lipe until she mentioned it last night. So now, after Ayutthaya, we're going to fly n' ferry from BKK to Koh Lipe. After 2-3 nights there we'll then island hop up to Railay / Krabi / Ao Nang and fly out of Krabi to Samui and on to Koh Phangan.

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

7 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

My sister in law lives in Ayutthaya and I have to say my wife and I think it's absolutely boring and the ruins just look like red brick chimneys from old UK potteries.   

I appreciate your comments but for us it's just a new destination so we're happy to spend 2 nights there. Plus, it'll be after travelling from Ireland + 1 night of partying in BKK so we're happy to just chill out and wander around on bicycles.

We're staying in Baan Thai House... looks nice! (Incidentally #1 for B&B / Inn's on TripAdvisor... not that i'd trust TripAdvisor all that much, it was just coincidence)

Take a bus from Bangkok, and take in Ayutthaya, Sukhothai and Phitsanulok,m a couple of days each, on your way to Chiang Mai.   You said you'd done Chiang Mai previously, so you could drop out and take a flight back to Bangkok if you wish, but you may like to take another look?  I never visit Thailand without a few days in CM.  It's  nice town.

Fly to Krabi, rent a jeep and travel down to Koh Lanta, you will love it. Don't go to Koh Lipe, unless you are going to do nothing but diving, Koh Lipe is currently the construction hub of Asia. Construction everywhere.....

Edited by AlQaholic

On 11/24/2016 at 6:24 AM, craigt3365 said:

Sukhothai is definitely worth a peek.  Very nice area with some nice old temples/stupas and peaceful.  I'd avoid Samet right now.  They are tearing down a lot of resorts there.  Chang is very nice.  Some great beaches.

What about a trip over to Angkor Wat?  It's probably the most amazing attraction in this region.  Worth a few days of your time and will be something other than a beach. Cheap flights also.

Good suggestions..

Some photos from my last visit to Sukhothai..  

...and a few from Angkor Wat..

..just click on a photo to go the the album..

Edited by Laza 45
..to add information..

Dear Alt

You owe me one:):) for sharing my secret.

Before Ko Phangan spend your days in Kao Sok (gorgeous dam tree houses floating lake shacks for 2 to 3 days after that go to Khanom (which is 30 minute drive from the the pier which will take you to Ko Phangan where u will get busted for drugs if you even sniff one.

Khanom is quiet gorgeous and my favourite. Check out Baan Cha Lay beautiful aircon bungalows on the beach. When u speak with the owner and after asking price then say that Eddie from Pakistan recommended you and ask for a discount she will surely comply. After that continue to Ko Phangan.

Another option is to first go to Trang a clean city full of beautiful waterfalls and mouth watering seafood and Chinese food then proceed to Khanom.and onwards to horrible Ko Phangan.

If you need more info and I know Thailand very well aside from Issan u can Skype with me on mysticpaki61

Tell your gal to see the places ive recommended instead just going to Lipe which will be expensive and crowded at this time.

Cheers

Eddie

Hi all,

We have our plan formulated! It's not as adventurous as we first planned (returning to lots of places we've been to before) but we're happy with it.

Thanks all for the help.

For anyone who may be interested...

BKK => Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya => DMK (Fly n' Ferry) => Koh Lipe

Koh Lipe => Koh Lanta

Koh Lanta => PhiPhi

PhiPhi => Railay

Railay => Phuket (For logistical reasons)

Phuket => Airport => Samui

Samui => Phangan

Phangan => Tao

Tao => BKK (Fly n' Ferry)

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:50 PM, sandrabbit said:

Instead of going to Koh Samet go 35kms east to Laem Mae Phim, best beaches in the area and if as you say don't mind spending a bit then stay at the Novotel or Marriot and have km's of empty beaches but both hotels have nothing near them except beaches and the Marriot is stunning. Alternatively you could pm me and stay at our brand new resort which is at Hat Mae Rhumpung west of Ban Phe, 1.5kms from the beach - wink, wink. Koh Samet will be busy but the military is quite strict on there and the nightlife closes at midnight, maybe some of the small bars stay open later but resorts like Ploy & Silver Sands are well policed.