Visitors In Chiang Mai

emogo

Hi again, My family is visiting in a few weeks and have expressed interest in elephant riding. Anyone have any idea of a good place to do this, preferabbly somewhere with a good reputation for being humane. Tour companies only seem to offer trips to elephant farms plus orchirds, which we are not that interested in, since we wil be going to the flower show. Let me know

Any other ideas for a family (who are not the most adventerous travellers) would be appreciated.

If you have a passion for elephants you should take a day trip to the Elephant Nature Park which is run by a world renowned Thai elephant conservationist.

The Park is home to 30 rescued elephants and you get a real up close and personal experience including feeding and bathing them in the river. No riding I'm afraid but just watching the natural behaviour of these elephants including 4 babies will take your breath away.

It is not a cheap day out but it is the experience of a lifetime for anyone who is interested in getting close to elephants.

Edited by miltonbentley

i used to go to the Thai Elephant Conservation Centre in Lampang. its a great place where they really take care of their elephants. they have a great museum there with a full sized skeleton, a good show, and they bathe the elephants at about 9.30am. take your camera and a raincoat! VERY good fun.

after that you can visit the Friends of the Asian Elephant hospital, run by an amazing lady, Soraida Solwala. they run on only donated funds, and have treated a huge number of elephants for everything from mine blasts to amphetamine addiction. an amazing place.

Hi again, My family is visiting in a few weeks and have expressed interest in elephant riding. Anyone have any idea of a good place to do this, preferabbly somewhere with a good reputation for being humane. Tour companies only seem to offer trips to elephant farms plus orchirds, which we are not that interested in, since we wil be going to the flower show. Let me know

Any other ideas for a family (who are not the most adventerous travellers) would be appreciated.

I recommend you visit the Thai Elephant Conservation Center in Lampang. It is not for profit and in addition to having a ride on an elephant you'll learn an awful lot about them too. Here's some information and reviews:

http://www.tatnews.org/others/1785.asp

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revi...er-Lampang.html

http://www.changthai.com/