Does my 21 months old son need a visa?

Hello,

I am french, so are my wife and son.

We are actually in thailand, came in with a 30 days exemption and will go to Ho Chi Minh beginning of december to apply for a new visa: 1 year volunteer for myself and 60 days tourist for my wife.

My question is: does my son need to apply for his own visa at the embassy or can he come under my visa or my wife's? We have had different versions of the story and would like to make it clear and stay within the law.

Last year we were asked to pay for his own visa in Vientiane, but then the immigration officier when we did our extension told us it was not necessary. But when we went o na border cross to activate 2nd entry we were told he was on overstay and would have a red line on his computer file (although they told us they would be nice to us and not ask us to pay the 15,000bht)...

A friend also told us he could stay his mother's visa if we had the family book, which we do...

Can anyone clarify the situation for us please?

Thanks for your help!

The child needs a visa of their own. They cannot enter based upon your visas.

Your child could enter and get a 30 day visa exempt entry. 

Children under the age of 15 do not pay overstay fines but do get overstay stamps when leaving the country.

Being exempt from overstay fines does not exempt them from needing a visa or extension.

• Like 1