Nong Khai Border Crossing For Thai

Do you want to travel from the border region or just a border hop to Vientiane or the like?

At the land border and up to 3 days they don't need a passport, just the ID card.

And they get a border pass for 50 or (?) 100 Baht.

It's valid for movement within some border region.

I did this with my wife and family in 2011.

Photo? Not that I remember.

See these older threads:

Yes 30 days a small fee. fill 8n a tm 6 they will put arrival card in passport for re entry. fill in two arrival cards for laos again keep departure card safe. If you are near or driving past KK drop into laos consulate they have arr/deposit cards on table can fill them in ready. No photo required for her

Edited by Deepinthailand

18 hours ago, bananafish said:

We'll be there 3 nights, so I guess 4 days, and won't be going further than Vientiane. 

She has a passport, I was getting some conflicting views from other threads and sources. 

I'm Thai - all I need to go to Laos is a Thai passport, nothing else. No additional photo needed, no visa needed, and the only fee is the ticket to get through the customs gates (a few Baht - the price is published at the booth). Your wife will get a 30 day stamp, good for travel all over Laos. Thais can also get a border pass valid for 3 days, no passport needed, but since your wife has a passport there is no point in doing this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

My understanding is that the passport free travel is only valid for residents of Nong Khai province for 3 days with presentation of a Thai ID card.

That is not correct for border passes to Laos.

My wife has a house book for here in Ubon and has crossed at Nong Khai and Mukdahan using a border pass.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct for border passes to Laos.

My wife has a house book for here in Ubon and has crossed at Nong Khai and Mukdahan using a border pass.

Provinces close there to the border then, my ex's tabien baan and ID card were tied to Phitsanalok and she didn't qualify for it.

3 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Provinces close there to the border then, my ex's tabien baan and ID card were tied to Phitsanalok and she didn't qualify for it.

I think either the situation has changed (and you tried this a long time ago) or there was a breakdown in communication. I have crossed with Thais from Bangkok and Lambang who were able to get border passes.