Business Ethics

Little Black Duck

I read a lot of criticism of Thai businesses and I'd like to say

that I think there are a lot who do good things

Mine is Kawasaki in Phuket..

I just had the Kawasaki Boss serviced, its 69,000 km service

(I do it every 3,000km)

It was time for new chain and sprockets (I do once a year)

I got my bill B790..

I had an Oil Change, they thoroughly checked the bike, water

in Battery, checked Brakes, all lights, and tyres..

New Chain as well as new front and rear sprockets, I might add

all genuine parts..

I was treated with a warm friendly greeting and watched as

they did the work..

I only paid for the parts and oil..Labour was free..

There was a time in the past, the positive terminal clip on

my battery mains lead corroded away,, They replaced the terminal clip

on the existing lead free of charge..

Lets here your story about Thai Business you deal with

Brought the Volvo down to a local garage here as there was a leak underneath and I couldn't be bothered to jack it up and see where it was coming from. They put it on the lift and spent about 15 minutes checking it out, finally determining that the leak was coming from the power steering pump. They couldn't fix it for some reason, but gave me the name of a nearby outfit that could. When I asked how much they said nothing.

A few years back (i've been ex'thai for a few years now) I had a flat tire on my moto'cy and I was up in the boonies beyond Kanchanaburi.

Called my local bike repair shop. I hadn't been there for ages though and the guy who answered was new to me, I to him. For all intents and purposes a stranger calling his business.

around forty minutes later (for a thirty minute drive :o ) he was helping me lift my bike on the back of his pickup and an hour later I left his store with a new rear inner tyre tube.

Forty baht.

Bloody amazing.

Get that in Europe i challenge ya.

Oriental Hotel service is a world leader. There is nothing quite like it anywhere, they are almost always in the top ten world hotels and after clean sheets and quick check in, what else is there??? SERVICE.

The process and training is mind boggling and the results show it. I think its a perfect example of proving the problem with Thai service is not in the service providers but in the management. The heirarchal social structure is just mind numbing and grossly destructive to a generally charming and enthusiastic work force.

Other than an unmentionable type of personal service providers, I'd say the best are the Honda dealers for motorcycles. Even when they guess wrong at first, they fix it professionally. Even in the smaller towns.

I've also had good service in government hospitals. 7-11 is not exciting, but they usually have what you expect them to have.

Oriental Hotel service is a world leader. There is nothing quite like it anywhere, they are almost always in the top ten world hotels and after clean sheets and quick check in, what else is there??? SERVICE.

The process and training is mind boggling and the results show it. I think its a perfect example of proving the problem with Thai service is not in the service providers but in the management. The heirarchal social structure is just mind numbing and grossly destructive to a generally charming and enthusiastic work force.

Excellent point. Management is usually the weakest link here. Add rampant nepotism too, and it can pull down the whole structure of a company, despite the best efforts of its enthusiastic and hard-working staff.

i would like to put a hand up for the street vendors. the ladies and guys cooking food, selling drinks and orange juice around banglampu.

any time of the day or night i can go onto the street and get a meal for next to nothing.

i love this as i get hungary at any hour especially if ive had some shandies. :o

i can have a plate of thai green curry for 20 baht.

lately ive been eating bbq red snapper for 100 baht. with salad .

back home i can even by the bait for that so i sulute the street vendors who are always work hard and long. :D:D

they keep los moving. :D

I read a lot of criticism of Thai businesses and I'd like to say

that I think there are a lot who do good things

Mine is Kawasaki in Phuket..

I just had the Kawasaki Boss serviced, its 69,000 km service

(I do it every 3,000km)

It was time for new chain and sprockets (I do once a year)

I got my bill B790..

I had an Oil Change, they thoroughly checked the bike, water

in Battery, checked Brakes, all lights, and tyres..

New Chain as well as new front and rear sprockets, I might add

all genuine parts..

I was treated with a warm friendly greeting and watched as

they did the work..

I only paid for the parts and oil..Labour was free..

There was a time in the past, the positive terminal clip on

my battery mains lead corroded away,, They replaced the terminal clip

on the existing lead free of charge..

Lets here your story about Thai Business you deal with

The thing i appreciate about thai buisiness is their "around the clock" (well almost) service. I come from a sleepy city in Australia and I catch myself out all the time wishing I were in Thailand so i could obtain or purchase, or frequent any place i so choose at anytime. I guess i appreciate the lifestyle as well as the buisinesses.

Rented a car recently from Thai Car Rental on Petchburee Rd,

Bangkapi

Drove the car up to Udon, around the backblocks of Udon, up to Laos, then back to Bangkok.

The car was brand new when we picked it up, and we returned it with a little more character than when we got it. :o

The company was happy, and drove us halfway across bangkok to get us home.

The price was slightly cheaper than it would be in Australia, but the service was great. :D

Here's some more.

1. Cooking gas service: When we run out of gas for our stove we just call the supplier. Even into the evening hours a motorcycle will be dispatched with a new cylinder, which is then installed. Very convenient.

2. Motorcycle taxis: Much as I dislike the noise and insanity of their driving, they provide a very convenient errand service. Need a bill paid, some bread, a part for the car? Just flag or call one and off they go for 10-20 Baht. Much more convenient and economical than doing it yourself, and less trouble than having to get the car out, go someplace, park it, etc. & etc.

3. Restaurants/Cafes/Eating places: Nice the way you can stay there as long as you want without getting the bum's rush.

4. Banks: Nice to have full-service tellers, with tellers that don't hesitate to provide help with forms, etc. if you need it.

5. Garages: Most non-dealership garages do not have a problem with you supplying a part for installation. Try that back home.

I've got a couple.

Toyota in Buriram, excelent to deal with before I bought anything, same when I was buying something. The aftersales is great, I've taken it back at the recommended service intervals, 1k, 5k and 10k and on all three occasions they have got one of the staff to act as a free taxi for us so we could lunch and shop.

Last night I was reading TV, I heard it first and then saw a large black shape going down the road. Two minutes later the power failed, a pick-up that was way way overloaded had turned into one of the smaller sois and brought down the overhead power cables. The power was still out this morning, and as it is the Kings birthday I wasn't that hopeful about it being fixed today..... I went out to stock up on candles and noticed the bright orange service truck and a team of guys working away, everything fine now, good work lads...... still bought some candles though :o

I bought a Television from Numchai in Pattaya. I have no idea how they did it, but by the time I got home ( I looked round their shop a bit but went straight back after paying ) the guys were waiting outside the gate to install it.

Fantastic.

4. Banks: Nice to have full-service tellers, with tellers that don't hesitate to provide help with forms, etc. if you need it.

The banks have to be some of the slowest i have encountred anywhere in the world.

Now i know why, people who dont know how to a fill a form out without help.

If i knew how to place one of them laughing smileys lying on the floor, this is where it would go!!

The banks have to be some of the slowest i have encountred anywhere in the world.

If i knew how to place one of them laughing smileys lying on the floor, this is where it would go!! :o

:D Hope you don't mind :D

Edited by London Crocodile

1. Cooking gas service: When we run out of gas for our stove we just call the supplier. Even into the evening hours a motorcycle will be dispatched with a new cylinder, which is then installed. Very convenient.

Delivery person wore spiderman costume? :D:D:o

20020812195918.jpeg

spidermen.jpg

If i knew how to place one of them laughing smileys lying on the floor, this is where it would go!!

Next time be sure not to stand behind me in line! :o

i go to the same bank to change my money.

im there every three days as $100 last me three days.

the staff know me now, give me a big smile and a chock dee cup. :D

the beautiful girls give me a big happy smile. :D

i frigging love that bank and im trying to spend my coin quicker so i can see those lovely girls sooner. :D

but at 20 baht for a thai green curry and 30 baht for a small chang at the gecko bar im pushing <deleted> up hill. :D:o