Christmas Turkeys

onesie

Hi all,

We will be traveling down to Phuket over Christmas, and will be cooking a traditional Christmas lunch, however, I understand that there has been a ban in place for imported poultry from the US.

Does anyone know if there will be any for sale, doesn't need to be from the US any other producing country will do but I'm not really too interested in locally farmed turkeys.

I'm currently up in Chiang Mai and they are available up here but I don't really fancy transporting one down for obvious reasons!

Thanks for any replies in advance.

5 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Turkeys have always been for sale at the main big C and tesco lotus big store also villa mart

I do not know where they come from  but i am sure they have other source countries if USA poultry is banned here

The turkeys could be local as well. I have seen some turkeys running on roads in Thalang. 

This is traditional christmas food. 

kinkku.jpeg

I've only seen local turkey for sale at TOPS, Tesco, Villa, BigC. Had one last year. It was just ok but at the same price as a imported turkey its a rip off. Really miss the butterrball. Why the ban?

1 hour ago, chercheur888 said:

Here is a suggestion how o cook your Turkey or not:

Yeah that is still a fad in the US.   I see guys doing it in the driveway with kids running all over. I just cringe at the thought of it. A case of western stupidity.

I think the ban is still on for US products and I think it was extended to EU birds as well. An american friend cooked three Thai birds for Thanksgiving and said they were satisfactory. A Thai princess has an interest in one turkey farm and her name appears on the product I believe. That may be a factor in the ban along with bird flu of course. Gotta have a turkey and a ham for Christmas no matter what.

11 hours ago, RBOP said:

I've only seen local turkey for sale at TOPS, Tesco, Villa, BigC. Had one last year. It was just ok but at the same price as a imported turkey its a rip off. Really miss the butterrball. Why the ban?

Rice sales drastically deteriorating :whistling:

On 11/28/2016 at 11:22 AM, akentryan said:

I think the ban is still on for US products and I think it was extended to EU birds as well. An american friend cooked three Thai birds for Thanksgiving and said they were satisfactory. A Thai princess has an interest in one turkey farm and her name appears on the product I believe. That may be a factor in the ban along with bird flu of course. Gotta have a turkey and a ham for Christmas no matter what.

Why would turkey sold here in the shops taste any different to turkey sold in any other country

Turkey is turkey where ever its sold, not duck, goose etc 

@madmax2

A good point, however there's been a lot of talk about the Thai turkeys being much tougher than Western birds and with smaller breasts.

Also, someone told me about Thai turkeys having their prices artificially inflated by being filled with water and then frozen.

I realise that's just hearsay, but maybe do some investigation before buying Thai birds.

2 hours ago, Tapster said:

@madmax2

A good point, however there's been a lot of talk about the Thai turkeys being much tougher than Western birds and with smaller breasts.

Also, someone told me about Thai turkeys having their prices artificially inflated by being filled with water and then frozen.

I realise that's just hearsay, but maybe do some investigation before buying Thai birds.

Are you sure you are talking about Turkeys in your first sentence 

24 minutes ago, Tkris said:

Is there anywhere to get a take-away roasted turkey on the 26th?

We don't have an oven yet.

Villa (Chalong) sold them in the past as did TOPS in Central. Not sure whether they'll be selling them this year though.

9 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Why would turkey sold here in the shops taste any different to turkey sold in any other country

Turkey is turkey where ever its sold, not duck, goose etc 

Turkeys bred and sold in the US are very different from Thai turkeys, and probably the turkeys sold in many other countries.

In the US, turkeys have been specifically bred over the years to produce birds with a very large breast, and much more "meat" than standard varieties. I believe they've engineered them to the point where the birds are no longer able to reproduce naturally.

Additionally, most frozen turkeys sold in the US are injected with a butter/saline solution to provide more moisture internally when roasted.

14 hours ago, DrDave said:

Turkeys bred and sold in the US are very different from Thai turkeys, and probably the turkeys sold in many other countries.

In the US, turkeys have been specifically bred over the years to produce birds with a very large breast, and much more "meat" than standard varieties. I believe they've engineered them to the point where the birds are no longer able to reproduce naturally.

Additionally, most frozen turkeys sold in the US are injected with a butter/saline solution to provide more moisture internally when roasted.

There was a turkey farm near where i lived in Australia that had thousands of turkeys and they were all had white feathers only, all turkeys come from America originally, except the white ones probably a local genetically modified breed 

Turkeys are not a big seller in Australia even at christmas time, even in the biggest supermarkets they only carry stock of about 10 compared to hundreds of chickens and hams and quite a few ducks, lobsters and a big range of seafood in general

Archived