Where To Find Help In Isaan?

lucidwave

Dear Thaivisa members,

I am a PhD student who will be travelling to Thailand to do some research on the Thai silk industry for four months beginning in February. I will be interviewing silk merchants in Bangkok, silk merchants in Isaan, and silk producers and weavers in Isaan.

However, one major problem is that I do not speak Thai and will therefore need interpreters. Do any of you have any ideas on how I can find affordable interpreters in Bangkok and Isaan? People have suggested University students. Do any of you know any body who would be willing to help, or know of any University web forums or the like that I could post this request on? I do not have a fully funded project yet (so do not have many resources) but I would naturally be willing to pay a fair rate to whoever would be willing to help. Do you have any suggestions for what a fair rate would be in BKK and Isaan?

Thanks very much in advance....

Dear Thaivisa members,

I am a PhD student who will be travelling to Thailand to do some research on the Thai silk industry for four months beginning in February. I will be interviewing silk merchants in Bangkok, silk merchants in Isaan, and silk producers and weavers in Isaan.

However, one major problem is that I do not speak Thai and will therefore need interpreters. Do any of you have any ideas on how I can find affordable interpreters in Bangkok and Isaan? People have suggested University students. Do any of you know any body who would be willing to help, or know of any University web forums or the like that I could post this request on? I do not have a fully funded project yet (so do not have many resources) but I would naturally be willing to pay a fair rate to whoever would be willing to help. Do you have any suggestions for what a fair rate would be in BKK and Isaan?

lucidwave, I don't know about rates for translations, but I believe most of the Universities won't have their term breaks until Mid Mar. Regards, BD

Firstly, I would post on the Isaan forum. In Surin, which is one of the centres of the silk industry, we can provide an English speaking tour guide to take you to the various venues. We have the Baan Tasawang Silk Village here, which has grown big since it did all the silk clothing for the A.P.E.C. Summit, three years ago. Also, numerous villages in the area, breed their own silk worms, and harvest the silk thread themselves. I am sure we could come up with something if Surin is on your itinery. For pictures from the silk village, look in attractions, and/or past news from 2005 on www.farangconnection.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Thaivisa members,

lucidwave, I don't know about rates for translations, but I believe most of the Universities won't have their term breaks until Mid Mar. Regards, BD

We can provide a really fine translator for you. Contact us at Tree of Life Orphanage in Buriram. Thienchai Petmadan is a superb translator. He studied in the UAE for several years and is totally fluent. He has accompanied many groups of foreigners around the Isaan to handle translations. He was the overall winner of the Isaan English speaking competition involing 5,600 schools when he was only 12. He is now 20 and will be attending Buriram Rajabhat University in June in Computer Science. His rate is 800 baht per day plus accommodations and meals when he is travelling. Contact uis at 044-618886 or 044-617011 in Buriram.

Thanks very much. I will call within the next few weeks.

Thienchai sounds like he would be a great help. Can I ask, do you know how many days he would be available? And how far would he be able to travel from Bururam?

Thanks again...

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Thaivisa members,

I know some guy who can help you. His job is a interpreter. I think maybe he can help you. His phone is +66-8-5095-7779

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Thaivisa members,

I know some guy who can help you. His job is a interpreter. I think maybe he can help you. His phone is +66-8-5095-7779

i honestly dont see any problem at all and totally free,issaan is teaming with locals wanting to polish up there engrish,just go to the nearest falang cafe and you will find a young student within 10 minutes,....job done.

Dear Thaivisa members,

i honestly dont see any problem at all and totally free,issaan is teaming with locals wanting to polish up there engrish,just go to the nearest falang cafe and you will find a young student within 10 minutes,....job done.

is it really that easy?

Thanks again to those who have responded.