Europe Visit

Ok, so firstly my partner is Filipina (so obviously not Thai) but I figured that it would be the same in either case so seeing as this forum has a lot more experienced members I thought I'd ask here.

2 Questions:-

1) My Partner wants to visit London, but having spent 5 years working there (3 years living at the Tower Thistle hotel next to Tower bridge which is her #1 reason for wanting to visit... though like a lot of people she calls it London Bridge), I'd rather go to Paris, Madrid, Rome etc... question is, is it any easier/harder for me (UK born & Bred) to get her a Schengen visa over one for the UK?

2) (Am sure it seems petty, but I promise it's a big deal to her), if I take her to the UK am I ok to go through Immigration with her or do I need to go through a separate channel?

Before anybody wades in & makes fun of the 2nd question, I promise you it really is a big deal for her & suggest you try leaving the Philippines with a Filipina to understand how much hassle they get (We're talking about a 33 year old who's travelled to many countries, with me, not some young girl at danger of being trafficked).

Though the UK visa and Schengen visa are two different visas, the general requirements are simular. The authorities wish to confirm that the alien has a clear and legit reason to travel, that the trip is affordable and that the alien will return in time. Changes of getting either visa shouldn't be much different. The only small (neglectable?) benefit might be when visiting an other country than your own that the authorities will be less likely to fear that the alien and host ( European partner) decide to screw the rules and try to settle instead of leaving the country.

Some Schengen members, like the Dutch, do acknowledge relationships akin to marriage. If it is clear to them that you have a genuine, exclusive, lasting relationship -bases on showing co habitation for 6+ months or other evidence if such a relation- you as an EU national and your partner will be covered by the Freedom of Movement regulations (EU directive 2004/38). In that case the visa is free, issued ASAP and with minimum hassle or documentation (no need to show ties to her home country as evidence if reasons to return, travel insurance not required, hotel booking not required, proof of funds not required etc). More info on this can be found in the Schengen sticky topic.

So I'd say it's entirely up to you to visit either the UK, Schengen area or get visas for both. The stickies at the top of the forums should be useful to help you out with either visa.

As for which line to join, most airports and staff do not mind if a country national and alien go together via the lane for nationals. worst they could do is sent one or both of you to an other queue. My girl and I used to take take the EU lane together in the EU and the Thai lane in Thailand. We and many orhers never had a hassle though sometimes you hear about people getting sent away or frowned upon by the border staff. If anything being together and the alien passing approaching the counter first (alone ofcourse) makes it easier for the bordee staff to ask the national/host/guarantor any question who is standing just a meter away. And having heard about the isane inqusition that PH border staff unleashes upon pinays leaving the country, I can fully understand her feeling uncomfortable going through the border check all alone!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, I'm guessing it's going to end up as a UK visit as she has her heart set on it but maybe Europe next time [emoji1303]

I know exactly what you mean about the benefits of being stood 1 meter behind her in the Immigration queue, she had a really tough time in Hong Kong until I stepped forward & gave the Immigration officer what they needed... But they're just doing their job so I always remain very polite, answer whatever questions they ask of us & keep smiling [emoji1303]