Foreign Ministry liaises with Russia over Thai teenager’s death

webfact

Foreign Ministry liaises with Russia over Thai teenager’s death
By The Nation

75783fcc0dc1d0e278934802143bb0db.jpeg

Sek

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Ministry is cooperating with Russian authorities after a Thai cultural exchange student was found dead on a train in Russia’s Republic of Bashkortostan last week.

Ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee yesterday said that Chayanon Poonsirasin, 16, was an exchange student in Russia under the non-profit AFS Intercultural Programs. 

He was found dead on December 1 during a train trip from Yekaterinburg to Izhevsk, where his host family lives.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301487

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-06

41 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Pity the Thai Foreign Ministry would not be as cooperative in the many (hundreds?) of deaths of young (and older) foreigners in Thailand. 

Stupid me.....of course a Thai life to any Thai is worth far more than a mere foreigners.

Sounds to me like the Thai embassy there is all over it day one unlike our embassies here that don't seem to care.

4 hours ago, Grubster said:

Sounds to me like the Thai embassy there is all over it day one unlike our embassies here that don't seem to care.

Indeed ...but what riles me is the fact it is the Ministry that got involved and not just the local embassy, and that for a death that does not seem to involve violence.

In Thailand with murders, rapes, etc it is the consul or the embassy that gets involved. Never the actual Ministry. They are advised by their staff but leave it to the local embassy/consul staff

2 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Indeed ...but what riles me is the fact it is the Ministry that got involved and not just the local embassy, and that for a death that does not seem to involve violence.

In Thailand with murders, rapes, etc it is the consul or the embassy that gets involved. Never the actual Ministry. They are advised by their staff but leave it to the local embassy/consul staff

Yes but it bothers me that Thais seem to care more about their travelers than our western governments do.  All ours do is request a death certificate from the coroner.  And place a call to your next of kin, saying you are dead from a heart attack not mentioning that your face was bashed in or any other suspicious circumstances that they would have no way of knowing without visiting the scene of your death and seeing your body day one. Thailand sent people from here to look up on their death, I commend that.

This announcement may be as much for domestic consumption than it is for any real action.

The intercultural programme may be a project involving government so they may need to nip any reputational damage potential in the bud. (The Thai govt. has bad memories of previous deaths of Thai kids abroad due to exchange programmes)

There is also the possibility that the children chosen were from civil servant families so immediately phones of Ministers will be called.

Edited by Briggsy

24 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes but it bothers me that Thais seem to care more about their travelers than our western governments do.  All ours do is request a death certificate from the coroner.  And place a call to your next of kin, saying you are dead from a heart attack not mentioning that your face was bashed in or any other suspicious circumstances that they would have no way of knowing without visiting the scene of your death and seeing your body day one. Thailand sent people from here to look up on their death, I commend that.

It's little wonder you have fallen for this belief if your perception of consular relations is anything to go by.