Flaws At New Airport Need Fixing

Flaws at new airport need fixing

More than two months have passed since the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport on Sept 28, and it is a pity that many of the facility's drawbacks don't seem to be getting fixed. Unresolved problems which have irked travellers and those whose work evolve around the airport have grown in such magnitude that many are disgusted at the idea of going through, or working at, the airport.

- Boonsong Kositchotethana is Deputy Assignment Editor (Business), Bangkok Post

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/06Dec2006_news15.php

The public continues to put up with the lack of comfort, as the chairs there are only steel-framed with no padding, and cold!

The author of that article must not have been to the airport recently. There are lots and lots of seats now with padding in the departure hall. I assume they were brought in from Don Muang. A shame really being that in my opinion it looks tacky being the blue cushioned seats don't match with the metal theme of the airport. But being lots of people were complaining about lack of seats and uncomfortable metal seats, they did something about it. I personally like the metal seats as they are very cool. After a brisk walk through the airport it feels nice for me to sit down on a cool metal chair.

Edited to add that the editorial makes no mention of the taxi touts in the arrival area. I think the cramped arrival area is the number one complaint about the airport but it doesn't even get a mention.

Edited by Soju

Honestly, we have used it four times now and i really don't see why everyone bashes it so much. it gets you from A to B and that is enough for me. :o

Also, why is is still called the NEW airport, it is Bangkok airport not the new bangkok airport :D

I have been to Suvarnabhumi 8 times now and each and every time, I hope to see some marked improvements over what on the surface looks like an impresive aviation hub.....However, I am still dissapointed with the airport in general and the overall lack of creative thought in regards to the interior design and passenger flow........Interior glass panels are already filthy, I notice more and more cracks in the floor, miniscule smoking rooms with improper ventialtion, lack of restaurants and shops (especially near gates - where there are none!), lack of signage both inside and out, mismarked luggage belts, artwork that does not fit properly on the walls they are hung on, dirty plastic plants, lack of toilets - jeez!.....need I go on.

It seems that there was little if no thought given to the interior of this place and its actual functionality and user-friendliness. Although it is a huge structure, you still feel like you are in a small confined space when you are waiting at the gate for your flight (especially in International)........I do not like to be a "hater" but this airport with its unpronounceable name is quite disapointing-especially when compared to other new airports in Asia. I sincerely hope that they hire some consultants from Japan, Singapore or Hong Kong (who have gotten their new airports "right") for some help, creative inspiration, and functional direction. Most of these problems can be fixed with due time, lets just hope that it happens sooner than later

i visited the place a couple of days ago to pick someone up , the drive from bkk was quick and painless along good highways and parking was easy , although it is easy to miss the car park entrance ramp.

the building is certainly huge futuristic and impressive ,but charmless .

it already looks scruffy and untidy , cracked floor tiles , randomly located shops , facilities signs etc., dirty glass and stained concrete.

when i looked up i was surprised not to see washing hanging from some of the upper floor walkways.

the arrivals hall is overcrowded and chaotic.

it does not give a good impression at all to a new arrival in thailand.

it felt more like a bus station than an airport.

but like another poster said , passengers arrive and passengers depart , and maybe we expect too much from airports.

but given the years of boasting and posturing and strutting by the governments regarding this airport , it is hard to avoid smirking at the poor result achieved.

i visited the place a couple of days ago to pick someone up , the drive from bkk was quick and painless along good highways and parking was easy , although it is easy to miss the car park entrance ramp.

it already looks scruffy and untidy , cracked floor tiles , randomly located shops , facilities signs etc., dirty glass and stained concrete.

when i looked up i was surprised not to see washing hanging from some of the upper floor walkways.

but like another poster said , passengers arrive and passengers depart , and maybe we expect too much from airports.

but given the years of boasting and posturing and strutting by the governments regarding this airport , it is hard to avoid smirking at the poor result achieved.

Honestly, we have used it four times now and i really don't see why everyone bashes it so much. it gets you from A to B and that is enough for me. :o

Also, why is is still called the NEW airport, it is Bangkok airport not the new bangkok airport :D

No neither do I. I have flown through there 4 times since it opened, one time on the first day of the official opening. It does what it says on the box, gets you from A to B, and I really could'nt care less about shops, how it is decorated etc etc.

Try getting through London Heathrow, and compare your stress levels. I don't smirk at it's few inadequacies (toilets come to mind). Its a good effort given that, even on a global scale, it was a huge project, and will only, I hope, get better

Expectations based upon many years of hyperbole that led up to the opening of Suvarnabhumi definitely tarnishes my opinion of the new airport. Plus, I know I would have a much more favourable impression of the new airport had the powers-that-be waited until it was actually completed to open the airport.

An article that ran in the BKK Post a month or so back in which it was stated that the grand opening ceremonies for Suvarnabhumi would not occur for at least another six months because His Majesty would be presiding over said ceremonies, speaks volumes as to the overall readiness of the operation.