red plates for new car

crickets

Exactly, you can chose to get red plates or not...doesn't matter if they're included in the deal...once your white plates arrive you get your refund back.

Any dealer who tells me they are included in the deal is a dealer I walk away from.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Anyone got an image of a genuine red plate which clearly shows the government seal?

Just bought a new car (not collected yet) want to ensure all is above board. Wifey will hit the roof (to the point of cancelling the order) if the dealer tries to pull a fast one.

The seal is stamped into the plate the same as the letters and numbers, you cannot miss it

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Anyone got an image of a genuine red plate which clearly shows the government seal?

Just bought a new car (not collected yet) want to ensure all is above board. Wifey will hit the roof (to the point of cancelling the order) if the dealer tries to pull a fast one.

Crossy ... see attached photo. The small circular stamping is on the bottom right hand corner of the plates. Can be clearly seen in the photo.

Interestingly, my normal white plates have a similiar stamping in the same place. Never noticed it before.

Bought a new Chev Cruze LT auto about 8 months ago. Nice car. 

cruze 5.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/13/2016 at 9:33 AM, Crossy said:

Thanks Joe, but even zooming in on the plate and playing with the levels I don't see the government seal :(

I understand it's a small (ish) round embossed marking, or am I barking up the wrong tree here? If so, how does one identify real from fake red plates? Is it really just the presence of a log-book (just as easily faked)?

EDIT Like the red plate in this image http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-car-license-plates-in-thailand-59844096.html

They don't fake logbooks; I guess too much hassle. Each official red plate is accompanied by it's individual, matching and non-transferable log book. If a red plate is offered and has no matching logbook, chances are the plate is fake, look for the embossed seal as shown earlier.

There are also a few fake plates that have the embossed seal but these usually have piss poor paint jobs since they are actually white ones that have been recovered from wrecks and/or repo's and have been painted red. Flaking black paint on the numbers is also a giveaway.

Edited by NanLaew

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 10:45 AM, stevenl said:

So what did you gain with this deal? The payment for the red plates is just a deposit, you get it refunded anyway.

I much rather concentrate on getting a substantial deal.

I buy the car at 595,000 baht and I only paid that amount with the red plate installed. A month later they replace it with the regular white plate free and give me 2200 baht.

So in theory I bought the car at 592,800 baht. This deal I gained 2200 baht. 

Other things are 10, 000 baht discount and Samsung fridge and microwave with 1 year free insurance.

Moreover I bought it under company's name and get to claim VAT at 7% which further reduce it to 553,875 baht. 

You mean you paid an additional 2200 baht for the red plate install and get a refund after a month?

Edited by timberpond
add question
  • Like 1

I buy the car at 595,000 baht and I only paid that amount with the red plate installed. A month later they replace it with the regular white plate free and give me 2200 baht.

Other things are 10, 000 baht discount and Samsung fridge and microwave with 1 year free insurance.
Moreover I bought it under company's name and get to claim VAT at 7% which further reduce it to 553,875 baht. 

You mean you paid an additional 2200 baht for the red plate install and get a refund after a month?

That is the norm and what everyone else is talking about.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 13/12/2016 at 3:25 PM, electric said:

Crossy ... see attached photo. The small circular stamping is on the bottom right hand corner of the plates. Can be clearly seen in the photo.

Interestingly, my normal white plates have a similiar stamping in the same place. Never noticed it before.

Bought a new Chev Cruze LT auto about 8 months ago. Nice car. 

cruze 5.jpg

The Plates Genuine but the Cars a Daewoo or some Korean Car.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:50 PM, timberpond said:

Back then in 2008, I paid an additional of ฿3'000 to secure a number of my choice in white plate. 9938... I was pleased~ No complain... :sleep:

• Like 1

On 12/25/2016 at 11:26 PM, RedBullHorn said:

Back then in 2008, I paid an additional of ฿3'000 to secure a number of my choice in white plate. 9938... I was pleased~ No complain... :sleep:

That's a very auspicious number preferred by the Chinese... In Singapore buying this number will cost at least 50k baht.   

• Like 2

• 1 year later...