Expats who are happy to see you in a bar environment, but..

"Act in a completely different way if they see you elsewhere, and actually look quite terrified.."

Used to happen to me all the time before I took the oath.  Usually my buddies would explain what embarrassing thing I had done in the bar because I didn't remember.  Can't say I blame them for looking terrified.

Look up "blackout drinking" for a full explanation.

Edited by impulse

20 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

just proves how artificial the whole expat thing is..

What "expat thing" are you referring to? Do you think being an expat means you belong to some brotherhood? Sounds like you have some sort of issues with some individuals and want to elevate it to the level of a grand stereotype covering anyone who happens to be an expat. It might be more accurately aimed at expats who wile away their days on a bar stool.

20 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Act in a completely different way if they see you elsewhere, and actually look quite terrified..

Kind of reminds of some of the girls I have woken up besides after a night of carousing. The girls all get prettier at closing time. I am sure glad those days are behind me. People always look different when your sober. I can verify this by how many times I have looked in the mirror when drunk and sober. Both can be scary at times.

I quite often used to get people coming up tu me and saying hello and I had no idea who they were .

It wasnt a "terrified" feeling , it was the awkwardness of having a cagey conversation whilst trying to find out where I knew them from

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I quite often used to get people coming up tu me and saying hello and I had no idea who they were .

It wasnt a "terrified" feeling , it was the awkwardness of having a cagey conversation whilst trying to find out where I knew them from

A policeman I can't remember ever having seen passed me by on the street and said 'hello David'. Who  he? That's paranoia.

22 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Act in a completely different way if they see you elsewhere, and actually look quite terrified..

Happens a lot, and just proves how artificial the whole expat thing is..

Sounds like the ones I have lent money to in the past.

Happens a lot, and just proves how artificial the whole expat thing is..

You know who you are.

I agree
They're a different breed mate and don't care about getting my oar in either. It's nice to be nice as they say' but that don't apply to many old codger expats in Thailand. Just because you like a few bevies doesn't mean your an idiot, or spend fortunes on bar girls or have a shiny arse cleaning bar stools. Who cares, be yourself. They're really just plastic people that sit talking all day, talking behind people's back like old fisher wives, gibbering about the price of a loaf of bread, interest on pensions, and so on.

If you want to meet your own kind your in the wrong country mate. Well' that's my opinion anyway!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the expat thing!  what does that mean?    maybe you are only tolerable when people have had a drink.  I have never experienced that - ever.  have you never considered that people talk to you in bars because they feel obliged but prefer to walk past you when given the opportunity.  I think you will find the problem lies within you  - not the 'expat thing'

Edited by jonesthebaker

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Kind of reminds of some of the girls I have woken up besides after a night of carousing. The girls all get prettier at closing time. I am sure glad those days are behind me. People always look different when your sober. I can verify this by how many times I have looked in the mirror when drunk and sober. Both can be scary at times.

The eternal quandary; how is it I've never gone home with anything but a beauty, but I awake with some dogs.

7 minutes ago, jonesthebaker said:

the expat thing!  what does that mean?    maybe you are only tolerable when people have had a drink.  I have never experienced that - ever.  have you never considered that people talk to you in bars because they feel obliged but prefer to walk past you when given the opportunity.  I think you will find the problem lies within you  - not the 'expat thing'

Exellent endorsement of the op's point. wonder if he was using you as the example.

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Exellent endorsement of the op's point. wonder if he was using you as the example.

how do you work that out when I make it clear that I never experience that!  everyone I know from bars speaks with me when out and about. however, if I  happen to see some idiot with a chip on his shoulder then I ignore them.  hence the problem lies with the op.  get it?  no!  thought not ..

anyhow I do know the op and people do tend to want to avoid him when ever possible.  not easy to escape him in a bar.  but easy to avoid in the shopping mall

Edited by jonesthebaker

3 hours ago, sandemara said:

Bleary-eyed farang drunks wearing Buddhist amulets in a bar or on the street is a really good look.

ever notice that in Thai dramas on TV, the bad guys always have a moustache or beard or both, drink heavily and have numerous, and I mean numerous amulets around their neck?

1 hour ago, jonesthebaker said:

how do you work that out when I make it clear that I never experience that!  everyone I know from bars speaks with me when out and about. however, if I  happen to see some idiot with a chip on his shoulder then I ignore them.  hence the problem lies with the op.  get it?  no!  thought not ..

anyhow I do know the op and people do tend to want to avoid him when ever possible.  not easy to escape him in a bar.  but easy to avoid in the shopping mall

That's not what the post said and you know it got it no I thought not.

Haven't done the 'zig zag' down the street in many (most of my) years, though I did do it sometimes in the past.

Never noticed anyone looking threatened though (I'm a happy drunk).

Now I have different cues - eg, missus doesn't want to converse with me, or feet start to swell up.  None of that happens now, I've found my happy medium of a few beers and never being stupid. I also take supplements in powder form to support the liver and always feel good despite my stupidity.

We can't party all the time if we're 'pseudo retired' and need personal discipline. Many days off or very low dose if daily seems to work.

15 hours ago, jonesthebaker said:

Sounds interesting, tell us more starting with the names of the bars. Fascinating to watch a bit of human interaction.