Shots fired in Surat after arrest of "police extortionist"

webfact

Shots fired in Surat after arrest of "police extortionist"

p2.jpg

Picture: Thairath

SURAT THANI: -- Shots were fired in downtown Surat Thani on Monday after a police sting operation went wrong.

A man pretending to be a policeman had tried to extort money from a student and had promised to come back for more.

Police laid in wait and when they presented themselves the extortionist refused to give up and started shooting. A gunfight ensued in broad daylight and the man was hit, reports Thairath.

Phongphan Siri, 24, from Surat Thani was taken to hospital with two bullet wounds to the chest but was out of danger of death.

He had earlier visited the student in rented rooms in Soi Saeng Arun claiming to be a cop. He wanted money but the student had none so he took a games console saying that he would be back for more.

Meanwhile the student informed real police who laid in wait.

A full investigation is now underway.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-12

Between the ''plain clothes'' police, the citizens dressed up as make believe police and the illegal antics of uniformed policemen on cycles I would not know who to believe, if they claim to be a policeman.

The highway patrol, are normally busy leading a troup of tour vans from one site to a eating joint, by their unique cars, so I recongize them as well as those police directing traffic???? the latter is normally in the air con hidout punching buttons to control lights, so unseen, thus no threat, except to smooth traffic flow. I do wish the plainclothes people would wear better quality outfits, many look like bin collectors.

So many scammers and impersonators around. Always ask for ID. The real officers in Thailand will never refuse u if u ask politely and cooperate with them.

You can take a picture of their ID and picture of the Officer who does a spotcheck on you as well. 

They will not refuse. 

Trust me. The immigration officers who came to my house offered their IDs and my documents that I sent to the immigration office to prove who they are 1st.

My Thai witness took photographs of all documents and pictures of them as well.

If you have done nothing wrong, there is no reason to be nervous around any authorities. Just be polite, cooperate with them and politely make request and explain why you need to. 

I have been stopped in my car at a police check point as well. And when 2 policeman came and tried to rummage through my car,  I requested for 1 policeman to go through my stuff in the car with me instead of 2 explaining that so I can keep an eye on everything while he search. 

Be Courteous and polite always 

12 hours ago, mcfish said:

Two bullets to the chest and he survived. That's some outstanding luck!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

In August, 2010 in Harlem, NY a man survived 21 shots from police during a gunfight. LINK  Some were to the chest and stomach.

One shot can kill if it hits a vital organ such as the heart. Also hitting an artery can cause enough rapid blood loss to kill.

Usually two or three hits are enough to assure a kill as there are so many vital areas in the chest. But if one gets lucky and all bullets miss these areas he can survive it.

Cheers.

20 hours ago, NeverSure said:

In August, 2010 in Harlem, NY a man survived 21 shots from police during a gunfight. LINK  Some were to the chest and stomach.

One shot can kill if it hits a vital organ such as the heart. Also hitting an artery can cause enough rapid blood loss to kill.

Usually two or three hits are enough to assure a kill as there are so many vital areas in the chest. But if one gets lucky and all bullets miss these areas he can survive it.

Cheers.

Thanks.