Minimum Wages For Farang

I was talking with a friend the other day who informed me that there were minimum wages and requirments by employers for farang employees and this was diferrent for each nationality i.e US ex-pats mimimum salary 80,000 THB, UK 90,000 THB etc etc...

How true is this and what are the mimimum standards, or is there a web link throught the Ministry of Labour?

Below are minimum salary requirements for the extension of stay based on Business starting Oct 1st, 2006. (Teachers and journalists, I think, are exempted)

This, however, does not mean that an employer has to pay the amounts, it will be enough to have paid taxes on such basis.

Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, USA

50,000 Baht/month

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong

45,000 Baht/month

Other Asian Countries not listed, South America, East Europe, Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia, South Africa

35,000 Baht/month

Africa, Cambodia, Burma, Laos, Vietnam

25,000 Baht/month

Below are minimum salary requirements for the extension of stay based on Business starting Oct 1st, 2006. (Teachers and journalists, I think, are exempted)

This, however, does not mean that an employer has to pay the amounts, it will be enough to have paid taxes on such basis.

Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, USA

50,000 Baht/month

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong

45,000 Baht/month

Other Asian Countries not listed, South America, East Europe, Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia, South Africa

35,000 Baht/month

25,000 Baht/month

Thats ok then, I'm not being ripped off! I'll be a happy worker again for the rest of the day!

Thats ok then, I'm not being ripped off! I'll be a happy worker again for the rest of the day!

I think you're STILL missing the point Catpian Slackbladder. As Axel said, this is not a minimum wage as in a protection against poor farang being exploited and being paid too little. There is no such thing.

It is the minimum amount that farang must earn in order to get a work permit renewed. If you can't show you're earning that much, you won't get an extension of stay permit.

Edited by bendix

25,000 Baht/month

How many Cambodians, Laoations, Vietnamese and Burmese make that kind of money :o

All of them who work legally here. Now we only have to count how many that might be.

I thought the minimum wage to be eligable for a work permit was about 50k Baht?? Not sure tho...

We have several foreigners ( Interns) that work for us with a salary of 6,000 Baht per month. We in fact have processed over 100 work permits in the last month with no salary higher than 10,000 Baht. ( most are nannies) Their is no minimum salary except 5,250 Baht ( monthly minimum wage for workers in BKK)

If you are hiring a MD, then the unwritten minimum is around 30K per month to obtain the work permit.

It is the minimum amount that farang must earn in order to get a work permit renewed. If you can't show you're earning that much, you won't get an extension of stay permit.

The minimum amount you are talking about has to do with Immigration and the extension of stay based on business. Nothing to do with the work permit. Many people do 90 day visa runs because they do not pay the tax on the minimum salary required for Immigration with the extension of stay based on business.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com