Donald Trump questions US commitment to 'One China' policy

webfact

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

The local currency isn't leaving the economy, it is purchasing foreign currencies driving the local currency down. It is still in the economy however. I don't think anyone's taking their Yuan with them.

I'm not talking about T-Bills, but your post#80

So where does Chinese buying overseas property come into it? Is that not done with Chinese money?

Those New Zealanders trying to buy property at home would prefer it if the Chinese had not been able to do so.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

The local currency isn't leaving the economy, it is purchasing foreign currencies driving the local currency down. It is still in the economy however. I don't think anyone's taking their Yuan with them.

I'm not talking about T-Bills, but your post#80

Even if it were the case that the chinese were massively purchasing foreign currencies whether in the form of Tbills or just currency, the effect on exchange rate is just as the as it would be if the money were flowing out to buy assets abroad. So if purchasing foreign currency tends to depress the local currency, then it must raise the value of the currency or currencies purchased. Therefore, if just the opposite happens, such as selling Tbills, then the value of the foreign currency, in this case, the dollar, would be depressed in relation to the remnibi.

ec10b2cad6eed3906a45c18432e1e296ad9fab8a_original.jpg

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-hits-cheap-china-washing-204316967.html

Oh look, it's already happening. And Trump's not actually yet in charge.

Okay, this story. Basically, whatever Chinese company has been selling washing machines in America at too cheap a price. And the American government has gone and put some serious tax on the washing machines. That way, they are now at a more sensible and realistic price.

We have to wait until Trump gets in. Then, we will see some real taxes put onto the Chinese goods in America.

Edited by tonbridgebrit
forgot sentence

11 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

ec10b2cad6eed3906a45c18432e1e296ad9fab8a_original.jpg

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-hits-cheap-china-washing-204316967.html

Oh look, it's already happening. And Trump's not actually yet in charge.

Okay, this story. Basically, whatever Chinese company has been selling washing machines in America at too cheap a price. And the American government has gone and put some serious tax on the washing machines. That way, they are now at a more sensible and realistic price.

We have to wait until Trump gets in. Then, we will see some real taxes put onto the Chinese goods in America.

These types of things have been going on for years.  Steel, chips, solar panels, etc.  So nothing new here.  But like you say, when Trump is in charge, it could completely change.  Or, could be Duerte in the Philippines.  Lots of hot air, but those behind him refuse to enact his crazy ideas.  Time will tell.  A trade war isn't good and helps nobody.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/07/24/welcome-to-the-trade-war-china-imposes-tariffs-on-eu-us-and-japanese-steel-imports/#de7f5dd618e1

On 12/12/2016 at 2:46 PM, HappyinNE said:

Very few people recognize a good opening for negotiations with the Chinese.  The Chinese are, in my opinion, among the best if not the best at negotiating.  Too bad none of our previous Presidents did any serious negotiation with the Chinese.

Oh but they did a lot of negotiating with them, very big brown envelopes included.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

What are you on about?

The past US administrations and congresses have sold out the US people to line there pockets with money from big businesses moving their jobs to China. That is the negotiating they have done.  I'm sorry if you don't know or can't see that.  We send the raw materials and they do all the work at slave wages and send the finished product back.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

The past US administrations and congresses have sold out the US people to line there pockets with money from big businesses moving their jobs to China. That is the negotiating they have done.  I'm sorry if you don't know or can't see that.  We send the raw materials and they do all the work at slave wages and send the finished product back.

To my way of thinking, "brown envelopes" is a way of saying illegal bribes. No need to invoke that. The legal bribery is far more pervasive and far worse.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

To my way of thinking, "brown envelopes" is a way of saying illegal bribes. No need to invoke that. The legal bribery is far more pervasive and far worse.

So you think the millions congressmen take from lobbyists is legal?

46 minutes ago, Grubster said:

So you think the millions congressmen take from lobbyists is legal?

When you say "congressmen take from lobbysists" what do you mean. That lobbyists give them cash and the congressmen or congresswomen put it in their pockets. I'm sure that happens occasionally and that would be illegal. But donations to campaign funds and such isn't and as long as we have a right wing supreme court, won't be.

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

When you say "congressmen take from lobbysists" what do you mean. That lobbyists give them cash and the congressmen or congresswomen put it in their pockets. I'm sure that happens occasionally and that would be illegal. But donations to campaign funds and such isn't and as long as we have a right wing supreme court, won't be.

I'm fully aware of lobbyists.  Yes, money is given, but there are many rules around it.  And limits:

https://www.opensecrets.org/resources/dollarocracy/04.php

Lobbyists play an important role.  I worked on the fringes of this years ago.  A firm provided us an in we would have never been able to obtain on our own.  Nothing nefarious.  Just trying to advance our business.  Legally.  Is there a dark side to it?  Yes, like almost everything else.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/043015/why-lobbying-legal-and-important-us.asp

But now we are massively off topic!  Sorry! 

19 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It's dodgy for sure.  But those millions don't directly end up in their pockets. That's against the law. Luckily.

Yes those congressmen are smarter than that. The company or country that I do a big favor for has to agree to hire a different congressmen who voted against the favor for millions of dollars per year when he/she retires or is voted out. I in turn get millions as a lobbyist for some other company/country when I retire from congress. Easy and happens every time one retires or is voted out. You just can't work for the one who's bill you rammed through or voted for. Sad real Sad. They also set up friends and family.

19 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Please read my post above.

D. Trump promised less chinese products in the US -  there may be fewer American products in China, too.

"Why GM Or Ford Might Get Slapped With a Fine From China ( "‘If you want to play, we can play.'”)

-China, the world’s largest vehicle market, is crucial to GM. Chinese consumers bought more than one-third of the 9.96 million vehicles GM sold globally in 2015

-Ford’s China joint ventures represented about 16% of its global pretax profit of $9.4 billion in 2015."

http://fortune.com/2016/12/14/why-gm-ford-might-get-slapped-with-a-fine-from-china/

Edited by Opl