Turkish man found dead after fall from Bangkok hotel

webfact

6 hours ago, hdkane said:

Serious question...are the railings on these balconies of these places lower than in other countries? I've never stood on a railing in my life, and that is the only way I can imagine falling...not a conspiracy theorist at all, but these accidents happen quite frequently here... 

I was standing on my balcony one time, which is quite large with a good, high railing. I was not drunk in any sense. I simply looked up to the next floor for a minute or so, and when I looked back down I was suddenly quite dizzy and stumbled slightly. I realized that in the right circumstance, that simple act of looking up could have cost me my life.

I don't think it is so much about railing heights, although clearly higher is better. I think that people simply forget just how small most balconies are here in Thailand. They are really quite small. There is not a lot of room for error on a 1, 2 or 3 sq.m. balcony. Combine that with even a little drunk, and the chance for disaster increases greatly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/12/2016 at 6:27 AM, louse1953 said:

Who said he was Muslim and yes they do drink.

If god doesn't want Muslim to drink he would have made it impossible to brew alcohol. God makes it impossible for you to reach some stars in galaxy , your rocket cannot carry enough fuel to reach there and back and on top of that take many many years to reach.

God makes thousands of sperms so to make sure some will reach the eggs am I correct? Otherwise human race will die out wouldn't it?

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

That would be 00.50.

Okay, solve this one.

On a 24 hour clock:

When is 00.00am? It is midnight so the "am" is redundant.

Like 12pm, that should be midday so the "pm" is redundant.

On a 12 hour clock 12 midnight should be called that  (abrv: mn)

Same for 12 midday, which should get the abbreviation: md.

But the time wasn't quoted in 24 hour format.

23 minutes ago, Blackheart1916 said:

But the time wasn't quoted in 24 hour format.

Have another look, 12.50am.

I can see your point though, it fits with a 12 hour clock, looking at it again.

As Ratcatcher said it looks like 10 to 1 in the morning.

I love Thai time, it seems to work on a 6 hour clock. In English we have morning, afternoon, evening and night, but we still use a 12 hour clock.

3 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

I'm guessing the low balconies here are a big reason so many farangs end up falling.
If they were built a couple of inches higher we'd see less accidents

For about 1500 Baht it's easy to have some trellis measured, cut and installed securely....in order to raise the height of the balcony barrier. It's not idiot proof but will lessen the dizzy spell danger mentioned above. Obviously doesn't work for hotels or short term rentals.

4 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Both.

Is that Costa returned from a previous life?

Anyway look at it this way. It's pm, post midday,

now it's 11.00 pm

now it's 11.59pm

now it's on the stroke  of 12.00 so it changes to am. So 12.00 am is midnight. 

1.00 am is one in the morning etc.

11 hours ago, madusa said:

If god doesn't want Muslim to drink he would have made it impossible to brew alcohol. God makes it impossible for you to reach some stars in galaxy , your rocket cannot carry enough fuel to reach there and back and on top of that take many many years to reach.

God makes thousands of sperms so to make sure some will reach the eggs am I correct? Otherwise human race will die out wouldn't it?

If I was you I'd tread lightly during the next thunderstorm. 

22 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I agree there are many bitter expats here, living in their breeze-block mansions in Nakon Nowhere, with  a TV login the highlight of their day. They can complain about their 90 day reporting, and the state of the nation, surrounded by deadbeat family whose only interest is their piffling pension cheque and how long they will continue too receive it.

But really, this baby girl will no doubt google her father's death in the future and to see some insensitive poster (looking for "likes") suggest that her mother pushed him could really upset her. 

Were there any Thais involved here? 

A very good explanation of the bitter and ignorant views espoused on this forum. I often wonder about the nationality of these

' life haters' but you suggest it is their current circumstances presumably driven by stupidly which makes them bitter and ignorant. Thanks for the insight.

Edited by The manic

1 hour ago, The manic said:

A very good explanation of the bitter and ignorant views espoused on this forum. I often wonder about the nationality of these

' life haters' but you suggest it is their current circumstances presumably driven by stupidly which makes them bitter and ignorant. Thanks for the insight.

Really? A very good explanation? I'm not sure which is worse: posting in a cruel way about the suffering of others or posting about those posters , and in the process ascribing not only motive but also an entire lifestyle, family, accommodation, finances, level of education. Probably a line-ball.

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Thanks for the compliment.

I think they are of various nationalities, although perhaps a couple of countries have more than their fair share.

I wouldn't call it 'stupidity' but rather naivety. They meet Buriram Noi in the Pink Pussy bar or on an online dating site and believe everything she tells them. They haven't lived in Thailand and make mistakes based on not knowing the culture.

They don't listen to those who have been here longer or listen to the golden rules:-

1- Never marry a Thai woman unless you've lived in the country for AT LEAST 5 years.

2-Never build a house in Thailand until you've lived here AT LEAST 10 years.

And the consequences of their actions is seen in the bitter posts, as you say, based on their lousy life choices and having burnt their bridges.

On 12/13/2016 at 1:15 PM, CanInBKK said:

"We're there any Thais involved here?"

Quite simply "no" and that's why this thread is over an hour old with only 7 posts - no Thais to bash.

I do agree with what you're saying though, data on the internet is bound to last forever

I can bash some Thais for ya. I am staying in a hotel in Bangkok now and the railing on the balcony is a foot too low, scary as hell to get near it and I worked in many high risky jobs. This railing is below my belt, and any human with have a brain would know that that is not a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I can bash some Thais for ya. I am staying in a hotel in Bangkok now and the railing on the balcony is a foot too low, scary as hell to get near it and I worked in many high risky jobs. This railing is below my belt, and any human with have a brain would know that that is not a good thing.

You could be very tall , how high from the ground is your belt ? But never mind,  go on Grubster, you can do it , fly like an eagle.

4 minutes ago, bannork said:

You could be very tall , how high from the ground is your belt ? But never mind,  go on Grubster, you can do it , fly like an eagle.

If I were 7' tall the belt line would still be too low, also a child could just fall between the bars on it. What is that?

16 hours ago, madusa said:

God only exists if you believe in it.  I feel very sorry for the wife, seems your god chose not to save her husband from this terrible (I assume) accident.

Just now, bannork said:

Can you take a photo and stick it up?

No I don't know how, I can barely use my phone, sorry.  I don't think this railing is far from the norm I see here though, I would never have a balcony here with a child in the room. The shatter proof glass ones are the only ones Ive seen that would stop a small child here.

Responsible sounding father! goes out gets drunk and falls off a 5th floor balcony. if it was wet on the balcony floor. easy answer drunk or sober. don't go out there. if the balcony was such a danger, don't go out there. if your drunk possibly lagging from a flight and you have a dangerous balcony with a wet floor. don't go out there. hard to believe this person was responsible. something either very wrong has occurred or the guy was simply highly irresponsible. feel for the kid and mother.

10 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Really? A very good explanation? I'm not sure which is worse: posting in a cruel way about the suffering of others or posting about those posters , and in the process ascribing not only motive but also an entire lifestyle, family, accommodation, finances, level of education. Probably a line-ball.

Which is exactly what said posters do when a Thai is involved 

7 hours ago, Essaybloke said:

God only exists if you believe in it.  I feel very sorry for the wife, seems your god chose not to save her husband from this terrible (I assume) accident.

Don't forget to put on your rubber soled shoes during the next thunderstorm.  Heathen!

14 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Responsible sounding father! goes out gets drunk and falls off a 5th floor balcony. if it was wet on the balcony floor. easy answer drunk or sober. don't go out there. if the balcony was such a danger, don't go out there. if your drunk possibly lagging from a flight and you have a dangerous balcony with a wet floor. don't go out there. hard to believe this person was responsible. something either very wrong has occurred or the guy was simply highly irresponsible. feel for the kid and mother.

Blame the victim. Classic  Classy 

This is a sad indication about how any one perceives the press to be.  You must understand the disbelief that others share. You must understand the suspicion that most hold. As you suggest, this is most likely a result of life's many tribulations.  However, remember where you are, remember the norm, remember the way of life here and the value of such a life. A life that generates no money, is indeed not a life worth thinking about. Look back....... see the numerous Thais that have died under similar circumstances and ponder for a moment............ if it were me, would any one care? If such a friend were to die under similar circumstances, I would not step back, I would not conform.  I hope and encourage you all to do the same.