Phuket visa run van wipeout: 3 dead, 7 injured

webfact

On the basis of my own experience I agree that many minibuses are driven dangerously. But even in a 'no fault' accident these vehicles are death traps.

They have minimal chassis and no stiffening of the cabin or roll bars. The passengers only protection is the thin steel body. Might as well be made of cardboard for all practical purposes.These vehicles are unsafe at any speed. Avoid travelling in them.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Kiwi1 said:

On the basis of my own experience I agree that many minibuses are driven dangerously. But even in a 'no fault' accident these vehicles are death traps.

They have minimal chassis and no stiffening of the cabin or roll bars. The passengers only protection is the thin steel body. Might as well be made of cardboard for all practical purposes.These vehicles are unsafe at any speed. Avoid travelling in them.

Kiwi we have a "perfect Bar by MV project" installed on our car.  Is that what you mean by stiffening cabin? Always wondered what it's purpose is for?

3 minutes ago, Kiwi1 said:

OK I will catch the next army tank instead.

It is getting to the point of pure insanity. Well, it has been for some time now. Yes, bus/mini van/cab accidents happen all over the world, but Thailand and especially Phuket are near the top. Very sad indeed. Even sadder is nothing will done to prevent it. Politicians and high ranking police with 7th grade educations continue to grandstand with empty promises.

Edited by Shot

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

No worse than living in the land of smiles and in places its a lot better. There are no army, police and immigration jerks patrolling to catch you playing scrabble. Yes and you can actually see people smiling in public here, unlike Thailand.

All very true, but the food................

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"it is so easy and much safer to fly out to do visa run".

Great idea, now how can I fly from Phichit to Maesot? I can't, but I can get a bus south to Bangkok then a plane from Bangkok to Maesot, same back again.

It is so easy, isn't it? Not to mention the expense.

As this is about visa runs from Phuket and the 'accident' that resulted from it the comment about it being safer to fly is completely correct.

One can go to Singapore or Malaysia quite cheaply and it is possible to do a one day turn around if one gets the right flights.

I never understand why people pitch in on topics about Phuket with what happens elsewhere- its completely irrelevant to the topic in hand.

I would never pitch in about something occurring in Phichit unless it was relevant to Phichit.

Not just an accident rather a deadly crash just waiting to happen and did happen and nearly inevitable in some respects.

It seems no one ever tells the drivers to slow down and take it easy...but I did several times over the years and a few of them did slow down......but...... then back at it again after 10 minutes or so.

Same in the Philippines ..but even worse in some aspects.

If there is a visa run Van driver who does drive cautiously he would be considered a bad driver by his peers.

Everyone, more or less, just hangs on and hopes for the best during the trip while subjected to narrowly avoiding an accident, nearly minute by minute and often enough second by second while the driver thinks of himself as a "good driver" because he did not have an accident...but comes this close to one,  maybe 100 pus times during the entire trip.

And then back the other way and do it all over again on the return trip.

I am glad those days are over...but then again I am subjected to more than enough similar crazy driving by the many taxi drivers that more than make up for the crazy visa run drivers.

Either way ..if you use transport van service or long haul  bus service or regional taxi service you are subjected to reckless driving more often than not.

They are skillful enough ...but they are reckless while some are for more reckless than others subjecting you to a harrowing white knuckle ride....that is if you are actually watching what they are doing when driving.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Glad I don't have to do visa runs any more. The drivers used to scare the poop out of me.

And I am glad I do my visa runs with my strong 4X4 and never in a hurry.......I enjoy every moment of it !!!

8 hours ago, Shot said:

I took KBV......ONE time. Two full KBV mini buses were racing each other all the way to and from Ranong. Scary as heck. Never had a problem with EVE, and then I gave up mini buses when I discovered planes to KL.

I also took KBV once some years ago. I thought it would be an interesting experience to ride to Penang. Never. Ever. Again. Not setting foot into any of these death machines they call vans. Unreal how they drive. Flying to Singapore is way more relaxed and safer and doesn't even cost much more...

Edited by eisfeld

because of this thats why i havent taken the 9 passengers vans for visa runs from Pattaya. These drivers drive like maniacs. bouncing you around back there like rag dolls. I cant even count the times they have driven in the oncoming traffic lane while another vehicle is coming at them. pure stupidity.  I only wish that Jack Golf was still doing business...seems he gambled his company away.

That's at least the second deadly accident implicating a KBV visa run minivan ( http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-visarun-van-crashes-Malaysia/22988#ad-image-0 )

That and the numerous reports from visa runners using KBV, scared to death by the brainless driver riding is minivan like a WRC rally car, should be enough to shut down this company and put the owner in jail. He clearly doesn't give a crap about safety AT ALL. At least people should be aware that other companies like AB visa run hire good drivers. I just came back from a visa run to Ranong and the driver was pretty good.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

What's the use of going over the border and coming back an hour later? Why not make it possible to pay at the immigration to get that stamp?

Ive never understood why Thailand makes its guests do this!!! Only the neighbouring countries benefit with their visa fees and what we must spend while we are there. Thailand gains nothing from it.....It defies logic as so many other things do here.

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Wow.  That's a nasty looking crash.  They should close that company down.  Unfortunately, it'll just pop up again under another name. 

Do you know how many of these vans are run by the bib ?

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

As this is about visa runs from Phuket and the 'accident' that resulted from it the comment about it being safer to fly is completely correct.

One can go to Singapore or Malaysia quite cheaply and it is possible to do a one day turn around if one gets the right flights.

I never understand why people pitch in on topics about Phuket with what happens elsewhere- its completely irrelevant to the topic in hand.

I would never pitch in about something occurring in Phichit unless it was relevant to Phichit.

I think that where visa runs are concerned, it is relevant  to Thailand, not just Phuket, all this running to borders is ridiculous, there are easier ways which has already been pointed out in this topic.

Just because this "accident" happened in Phuket does not mean to say it won't happen anywhere else in Thailand, in fact, I would be very surprised if it has not happened already.

When you google Map it - the accident happened not on the island but actually in mainland Thailand- wonder what driver and company get charges for - causing death by reckless driving, DUI or drugs, falling asleep, weather, has licence, brake fail 

list goes on and on - hope the RIP families sue there <deleted> <deleted> off 

But they get the same money from immigration at borders or thai embassies or consulates.

I'm talking about the money lost for the van service.
I know for a fact people would happily pay even more not to do the run.
The government could easily bank all that money and save lives.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Ive never understood why Thailand makes its guests do this!!! Only the neighbouring countries benefit with their visa fees and what we must spend while we are there. Thailand gains nothing from it.....It defies logic as so many other things do here.

No logic & no common sense here in the LoS.....

19 hours ago, steve187 said:

RIP

changing Thai drivers will always be an uphill struggle, lots of reasons,  lack of enforcement of traffic rules, drivers hours, road design, and more important the 'Professional" drivers mind set

use sec 44 to bring the immigration laws up to date and stop all these border runs.

I fail to see what Immigration Laws have to do with an irresponsible driver causing an accident in a vehicle!!

RIP.