Safety, not scams, focus of jet ski vendor meeting

Rimmer

Safety, not scams, focus of jet ski vendor meeting

Pattaya City Manager Wuthipol Charoenpol chaired a meeting with jet ski vendors aimed at improving tourist security following a handful of recent accidents.

PATTAYA:-- Downplaying the continued extortion scams perpetrated by Pattaya jet ski operators, city officials instead called them in to meet about improving safety.

Pattaya City Manager Wuthipol Charoenpol chaired a Dec. 9 meeting with jet ski vendors aimed at improving tourist security following a handful of recent accidents.

Acknowledging complaints continue to be filed about vendors faking damage to their watercraft to extort tourists out of tens of thousands of baht, municipal police chief Pol. Maj. Jirawat Sukontasap said safety recently was a more important issue.

He defended the decision to allow the scamming vendors to continue to operate, saying jet skis remain a popular diversion for tourists and permanent bans or too many restrictions could affect tourism.

In line with that thinking, the much-heralded Jet Ski Dispute Resolution Center set up opened a year ago on Pattaya Beach has since been giving more benign branding: the Tourist Services & Assistance Center.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/safety-not-scams-focus-jet-ski-vendor-meeting-159035

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-12-23

1 hour ago, lust said:

Only an idiot would rent one. I don't feel bad about the dummies that don't do their due diligence and get scammed, lol.

You may say that only an idiot would rent one but that's a bit harsh: many of those renting are not experienced tourists and have probably been lulled into a false sense of security by the OTT Thai advertising about the paradise on earth. 

These feral animals running the scams should be thrown in jail: won't happen of course as the payroll is extensive.

1 hour ago, balo said:

I have not seen a jet ski scam for months , maybe they moved to a different location than the usual opposite Mikes. But I do think there are less scams than 2 years ago . 

I agree. It was only ever a minority anyway.

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Downplaying scams...(meaning lets ignore them).......focus on safety..(whatever that entails with jetskis)....

Then....the offending operators are able to continue......!

So obviously protecting the incomes!!

Safety First.........it's harder to scam a tourist if he's bleeding or incapacitated!

NickJ

I would agree with your post,but in a very small way.The scams by women here do not usually involve,being threatened with guns,being threatened with violence, on a 5 to 1 ratio,having masking taped ripped off them to show previous damage and getting the felang to pay for it,Calling the bent copper who comes over and helpfully negotiates a payment to the scammer,and then takes the victim over to the ATM and also takes a cut for himself.

I dont know of any girls who have scammed tourists as aggressively.

Now,are you are just talking about thai women,or do you encompass the transgender in the pot,because they can be quite aggressive,and are guilty of misrepresentation,but i dont think there has ever been a felang who has sued an LB for such audacious crime.:cheesy:

OOOHHH c'mon man what sort of rubbish is your post?"the same scam is pulled by 85% of Thai women?" Get real!

19 hours ago, balo said:

I have not seen a jet ski scam for months , maybe they moved to a different location than the usual opposite Mikes. But I do think there are less scams than 2 years ago . 

i've been following the scams since about 2008 and have seen over 170 but i've not come across one for about 12 months.

i'm not saying they are over but certainly a great deal less

They tried one with 2 elderly indians today. The timing of the police officer appearing on the scene was comical. Along with the finger pointing photos. It looked as though some thai interpreters/resolution centre people sorted things out. Hopefully that is. It lasted hours. Poor indians. Thai's exploit these too much. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are money spending tourists, none the less.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years. I used to go to beach with my wife every week. Our day out began to be spoiled by the jet ski scammers, who would openly rip off chinese and indians. One day It got me so angry as they were disturbing the peace, that I walked up to them and screamed at them to <deleted> off away from the beach. Nothing happened and we walked away. It's a shame that more tourist/expats don't take a stand against these scum.

But then again most people on the beach don't know what is happening.

2 hours ago, Bureaucrat said:

I have lived in Thailand for 14 years. I used to go to beach with my wife every week. Our day out began to be spoiled by the jet ski scammers, who would openly rip off chinese and indians. One day It got me so angry as they were disturbing the peace, that I walked up to them and screamed at them to <deleted> off away from the beach.t Nothing happened and we walked away. It's a shame that more tourist/expats don't take a stand against these scum.

But then again most people on the beach don't know what is happening.

" It's a shame that more tourist/expats don't take a stand against these scum."

Why, what good would that do?  Are you saying that your screaming at them had some tangible effect?

On 23/12/2016 at 9:02 AM, balo said:

Possibly they had the good sense to move on when the Military took a greater involvement at city hall and started to baby sit the BiB... :whistling:

Archived