Motorcyclist killed by expressway barrier in illegal jaunt

webfact

Motorcyclist killed by expressway barrier in illegal jaunt

p1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A motorcyclist is dead after he tried to race onto the expressway in Bang Na in the earlier hours of this morning.

The lifeless body of 21 year old Thaworn Phakdeekamjorn, a student at a tech college in Samut Prakarn, was found face up in a pool of blood.

Motorbikes are forbidden from entering the expressway.

He was captured on CCTV on the ramp leading to the entrance and was riding alone. His body was found next to booth 12 that was shut at the time.

Daily News reported that his Yamaha Fino motorcycle was found 300 metres away.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-26

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

nice comment,RIP young man

OK, your RIP comment is appropriate, but Cuchulainn was merely stating an obvious fact.

What on earth was the young man trying to do in the early hours of the morning at a speed that knocked him off the machine and reportedly left the machine 300* metres away from his body.  Mr Darwin's name is often introduced at this stage and perhaps in this case it is appropriate.

He wasn't killed by a speeding Benz driver but a solid drop down barrier at an unmanned toll booth. .

* I suspect it was more like 30 metres?

Edited by ratcatcher
add comment.

Whoops!

In the last year I have had a few instances of racing bikes blasting past me on the expressway, usually at night.  It's always a bit of a shock.  Somehow they get up there, I always just figured they were VIPs who got permission somehow to be up there.

24 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

OK, your RIP comment is appropriate, but Cuchulainn was merely stating an obvious fact.

What on earth was the young man trying to do in the early hours of the morning at a speed that knocked him off the machine and reportedly left the machine 300* metres away from his body.  Mr Darwin's name is often introduced at this stage and perhaps in this case it is appropriate.

He wasn't killed by a speeding Benz driver but a solid drop down barrier at an unmanned toll booth. .

Not an everyday happening but if the rider hits the barrier and comes off the back it would surprise you how far the bike will go before falling over.

Edited by overherebc

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sidewalk? I read expressway?

It seems you too have some 'issues'....

You need to learn how to read posts through instead of jumping the wrong way.

I will excuse you though. You will see I was answering your post that refered  to a previous post that mentioned sidewalks.

Edited by overherebc

wait til the sonic rs 150 enters the thai market ... sonic 125 was the first bike i bought here. an old 2 stroke. it was a monster which i sold again prefering a slower and quiter 110cc wave :giggle:

800px-Honda_Sonic_150R_-_Jakarta_Fair_20

Edited by Mook23
pic = sonic 150 !

When I first came here I was a keen biker and like many I always questioned the idea of 'no bikes on the big main roads' don't really want to say ' motorway'.

As the years went on I started to see the reasons why. I still have a feeling towards 'big bikes' being allowed but it's probably based on the UK where in general the bigger bikes are used by reasonably mature riders, probably the only ones who can afford the insurance premiums and the purchase price☺ In a way similar to the guys/expats who run around on the big HD's. The bikes are for enjoyment not to be the fastest way from A to B irrespective of the road conditions and traffic, of course there will be exceptions but a small percentage.

I can imagine the carnage and the unlucky people caught up in it if they opened these roads to all bikes.

1 hour ago, Mook23 said:

wait til the sonic rs 150 enters the thai market ... sonic 125 was the first bike i bought here. an old 2 stroke. it was a monster which i sold again prefering a slower and quiter 110cc wave :giggle:

800px-Honda_Sonic_150R_-_Jakarta_Fair_20

No bigger than the CBR 150, which has been sold here for years. 

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

After listening to them roar up and down the road outside of my condo with impunity I have little pity for them. Live by motorbike stupidity die by motorbike stupidity. 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

When I first came here I was a keen biker and like many I always questioned the idea of 'no bikes on the big main roads' don't really want to say ' motorway'.

As the years went on I started to see the reasons why. I still have a feeling towards 'big bikes' being allowed but it's probably based on the UK where in general the bigger bikes are used by reasonably mature riders, probably the only ones who can afford the insurance premiums and the purchase price☺ In a way similar to the guys/expats who run around on the big HD's. The bikes are for enjoyment not to be the fastest way from A to B irrespective of the road conditions and traffic, of course there will be exceptions but a small percentage.

I can imagine the carnage and the unlucky people caught up in it if they opened these roads to all bikes.

Anything over 50cc is legal on an UK motorway I believe and a full licence is needed. The licence is not doled out free it required significant effort to attain it. I find the "no bike" situation here sometimes makes a logical route  difficult, the restricted section may not be for long but you have to find a way round. Unless it would seem you are a cop or maybe you work in the restricted area (not verified only what I have seen).

4 hours ago, sotonowl said:

nice comment,RIP young man

He should try to think before doing stupid and illegal activities.  If you put yourself at risk, expect the worst~life works in this basic manner.  I feel bad for his family and friends.  He took a chance, and he lost.

Anything over 50cc is legal on an UK motorway I believe and a full licence is needed. The licence is not doled out free it required significant effort to attain it. I find the "no bike" situation here sometimes makes a logical route  difficult, the restricted section may not be for long but you have to find a way round. Unless it would seem you are a cop or maybe you work in the restricted area (not verified only what I have seen).

I have a full uk bike license and have driven all around UK & Europe many times on my Vespa.
After moving here recently, I bought a new scooter & It was a real shock to me to realise that I couldn't simply drive from Pattaya to BKK on the motorway with any size of bike! What is the purpose of this? What roads can you drive on? Are there physical signs showing no bikes allowed on certain roads?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The idiots who ride bikes on the sidewalk need educating or banned from riding would be a better answer.

Maybe if there were less cars & Chelsea tractors being used to nip down the road for a coffee then there would be more room on the roads for everyday people to ride their bikes.

The majority of motorcyclists in Thailand deserves what they get ... they have no regard for their own or the safety of anyone else on and next to the road and completely disobey and willfully disregard traffic rules and regulations... no sympathy from me 

The majority of motorcyclists in Thailand deserves what they get ... they have no regard for their own or the safety of anyone else on and next to the road and completely disobey and willfully disregard traffic rules and regulations... no sympathy from me 

The car, minivan & truck drivers are worse. In the last 3 months....
Done a visa run & the driver of the minivan overtook countless cars on bends just to save 5 seconds of time.
Waiting at the lights, a car driver nudged my rear tyre. Luckily I had my hands on the brakes! I looked at him & no apology.
A pick up truck came up behind me from nowhere blasting his horn. Thought he was in a rush so moved to one side to let them past. Alongside me he rolled down his window & shouted abuse to me(maybe going too slow for him). I shouted to him back. Around the corner, he slowed right down forcing me to overtake him. Upon attempting this he swerved across the road to swipe me off the road. Luckily I braked and missed me.