Hemp growing initially to be limited to Thai govt agencies

webfact

Hemp growing initially to be limited to govt
By Kornkamol Aksorndej 
The Nation

876ed8b8af6682833eecb051f2b07fd9.jpeg

Hemp

BANGKOK: -- ONLY GOVERNMENT agencies will be able to seek permission to grow, sell and possess hemp – which is now classified as a type of narcotic – during the first phase of an initiative to legalise cultivation of the plant.

Individuals and private entities will be barred from cultivation until authorities determine whether legalisation will deliver the intended benefits and prevent adverse impacts.

“After the ministerial regulation on hemp growing appears in the Royal Gazette, permits will be granted only to government agencies during the first three years,” Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) secretary-general Sirinya Sittichai said yesterday.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303139

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-30

Heard about this yesterday. Definitely a step in the right direction. Never had a joint on mainland and only time I did I got it at a restaurant on an island. End of the night I get the bill and Ganja is listed ( hand written bill). Fair bit of puff too, way too much for me. Next morning realising the severe punishments if caught. Head straight to the beach with all the gear in my trunks. Swam out as far as piss and dumped the lot. First time in Thailand that was.

Classifying a plant used in the textile industry is ludicrous. Why don't the find out why it was considered a drug and by whom?

With all the countries out there that have been growing hemp forever, why does Thailand have to be ignorantly different.

It's not a drug, it's the most versatile useful plant on the planet. Quit creating your own red tape and be productive!

The 3 year study will turn into 6 years,then the farmers will be selected to grow for the monopoly.itll be 10 years before the average farmer gets to grow this plant.the whole idea will take many years as there is processing plants to build,storage units,the marketing and educating the farmers,the list goes on.itll be 2025 before a farmer sees baht in his hand for growing this type of plant.

3 hours ago, ricku said:

Too little, and still a lot of retarded fear of THC.

But at least this change is a small step in the right direction.

Will we ever be able to legally enjoy a fat joint on the beaches of Thailand? Stay tuned to find out!

When I first came to Thailand in 1989 that was the first thing I did, paradise for a while.

Limited to government departments who are currently controled by the junta. Maybe the military are diversifying their business interests now that people trafficking is under the spotlight

Edited by Reigntax
Typo

The intention is this hemp will have a low-to-none THC content...basically a non-drug plant. In  the cannabis world there are two types of plants, broadly categorized—hemp plants and drug plants. Hemp plants include plants grown for fiber and plants grown for seed oil. Drug plants include euphoric THC-rich plants and non-euphoric CBD-rich plants.

The key difference between hemp plants and drug plants is resin content. Most hemp plants are low-resin plants. Drug plants are high-resin plants.

Industrial hemp varieties are typically a low-resin agricultural crop, grown from pedigree seed, with about one hundred tall, skinny plants per square meter, machine harvested and manufactured into a multitude of products.

Drug plants are a high-resin horticultural crop, typically grown from asexually reproduced clones, 1 to 2 plants per square meter, hand-harvested, dried, trimmed and cured

22 minutes ago, cloghead said:

The intention is this hemp will have a low-to-none THC content...basically a non-drug plant. In  the cannabis world there are two types of plants, broadly categorized—hemp plants and drug plants. Hemp plants include plants grown for fiber and plants grown for seed oil. Drug plants include euphoric THC-rich plants and non-euphoric CBD-rich plants.

The key difference between hemp plants and drug plants is resin content. Most hemp plants are low-resin plants. Drug plants are high-resin plants.

Industrial hemp varieties are typically a low-resin agricultural crop, grown from pedigree seed, with about one hundred tall, skinny plants per square meter, machine harvested and manufactured into a multitude of products.

Drug plants are a high-resin horticultural crop, typically grown from asexually reproduced clones, 1 to 2 plants per square meter, hand-harvested, dried, trimmed and cured

Well put sir.

Here some visuals showing the apparent differences:

thin ones.JPG

fat one.JPG

6 hours ago, ricku said:

Too little, and still a lot of retarded fear of THC.

But at least this change is a small step in the right direction.

Will we ever be able to legally enjoy a fat joint on the beaches of Thailand? Stay tuned to find out!

this is hemp . for commercial production . you could smoke it all day and not get a hit , there is no T H C in it . .sorry

Edited by sirmud63

What pisses me off is the delay to the availability  of Medicinal Hemp  . I don't really give a stuff if people smoke it or they don't as long as they are not in charge of a vehicle or doing some other irresponsible act . I am in partial remission with Cancer and when my time comes i would like the benefit of medicinal hemp to take the edge of the pain just to ease me over the line. Won't happen in medieval Thailand tho.

Obviously this government is just doing a feasibility study to see how profitable it will to those in the upper echelon without any consideration to how beneficial it can be to ,not only people who are in pain , but to helping other disorders such as autism as  well as  who knows what other medical conditions as research continues.   

15 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

nah, they are serious about it .its been on the go now for awhile .as soon as they figure out how to regulate it and tax it ,i wouldnt be surprised if we had it in a years time .

Agreed and if no one argues the gov't on the monopoly they wish to instill then all systems are grow and we could have it sold for recreational use pretty swiftly once they see the $$$$. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Agreed and if no one argues the gov't on the monopoly they wish to instill then all systems are grow and we could have it sold for recreational use pretty swiftly once they see the $$$$. 

ya , true . one usually follows the other . the recreational pot industry is worth billions of dollars all over the world . in the next ten years we will see a major swing away from big pharma . the only oposition to it ,regarding medical pot . but the rest will fall into place here ,in time . they know what its potential $$$$$ are worth  ,and , we all know the thai appetite for $$$$$$.  

MARMON.jpg

Possibly we will see in the future?    A Joint Venture with the Ministry of Finance.

This has nothing to do with the production of commercial, industrial hemp, which as many have pointed out on this thread, has no narcotic value, but an amazing number of uses.     http://www.informationdistillery.com/hemp.htm

9 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

this is hemp . for commercial production . you could smoke it all day and not get a hit , there is no T H C in it . .sorry

I know. Hence my post.
They are still treating THC as the work of the devil, even though studies have revealed that it is 100% less harmful than alcohol.

THC can't kill you.
Alcohol can cause physical harm to your body (especially liver), and WILL kill you if you drink too much.

Alcohol is legal. THC is not.
Go figure..

13 minutes ago, ricku said:

I know. Hence my post.
They are still treating THC as the work of the devil, even though studies have revealed that it is 100% less harmful than alcohol.

THC can't kill you.
Alcohol can cause physical harm to your body (especially liver), and WILL kill you if you drink too much.

Go figure..

I heard about some stuff being made using similar method to meth but using THC in USA. Lethal stuff I'm told.

Yes I remember 'Buddah grass' being sold freely on all street corners in 69-75, Laotian Flower tops  or Red Rock & Pom Cao for the hard core heads on Kao San and 'New Sukhumvit'   no one cared back then, it was only after the German & Japanese invasion of Bangkok did the police even look at you sideways .  Americans were cheap charlies, so no bribes forthcomng, the Germans  & Japs had deep pockets, so the fallout was "stop every fahlung, they are rich" :stoner:

8 hours ago, ricku said:

I know. Hence my post.

THC can't kill you.

Go figure..

And inhaling products of combustion is REALLY good for your health, right?

44 minutes ago, halloween said:

And inhaling products of combustion is REALLY good for your health, right?

Oh please. That has zero to do with it. I guess you've never heard of a world wide legal thing called tobacco?

But ok, let's pretend for a second that THC is illegal because "smoking is bad".. What about the fact that marijuana is edible? Marijuana brownies are quite popular in many countries, and the happy pizzas in Cambodia are pretty amazing. You can even make THC-infused butter out of marijuana.

Marijuana containing THC is only illegal because retarded politicians are retarded politicians.

Edited by ricku