All 3 Pattaya flood-pumping stations damaged

Rimmer

All 3 Pattaya flood-pumping stations damaged

Damaged engines and other equipment are hampering all three of Pattaya’s main wastewater-pumping stations city officials found during a recent inspection.

PATTAYA:-- Damaged engines and other equipment are hampering all three of Pattaya’s main wastewater-pumping stations city officials found during a recent inspection.

Pattaya City Council Chairman Anan Angkanawisai, and Col. Popanan Leuang­panuwat, deputy commander of the 14th Military Circle, inspected the station at the Puek Plub Canal in Naklua Dec. 22 to follow up on encroachment of public land there.

Private businesses and residents had built on or extended into the canal area, impeding water drainage and exacerbating flooding. Popanan said all those cited for violations were cooperating in removing their illegal structures.

But authorities also found that pump motors and related equipment at Puek Plub were damaged and poorly maintained, cutting their effectiveness during heavy flooding.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/3-pattaya-flood-pumping-stations-damaged-159680

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-12-30

"......pump motors and related equipment at Puek Plub were damaged and poorly maintained".

Nothing is maintained in Thailand. Whatever it might be just exists until it decays, rusts or rots and eventually falls to pieces or collapses. Pumping stations, sewage plants, buses, trains, buildings, fun parks, truck brakes to name just a few.

No surprises. Only have to look at the average house to know that maintenance is a non existent concept here.

Ongoing mechanical or electrical maintenance is just as rare. That added to the poor initial quality and the low balled/brown envelope bidding process is a recipe for failure..

from the rest of the article:

"Similar inspections of pump facilities in South Pattaya and at Bali Hai Pier found similar damage.

Anan said the results of the inspections will be presented to the city council for consideration of an urgent repair budget."

no money in proper scheduled maintenance, just in urgent repair budgets where everything needs to be replaced. 

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

"......pump motors and related equipment at Puek Plub were damaged and poorly maintained".

Nothing is maintained in Thailand. Whatever it might be just exists until it decays, rusts or rots and eventually falls to pieces or collapses. Pumping stations, sewage plants, buses, trains, buildings, fun parks, truck brakes to name just a few.

Privately owned expensive items like cars are well maintained.  Thais care about things they own themselves.

Nothing owned by the public - roads, street lights, sewers, or a pumps at pumping stations - are well maintained.  The city/province/country can always buy a new one if the old one stops working.  Maintaining them is just too much work and the workers think their time could be better utilized watching a soap opera on their smart phone or sending messages on Facebook or Line.

Edited by HarrySeaman

2 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

I wonder if there are any budgets for maintenance,
o
r whether they are diverted into private pockets.

3 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Condos

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

I wonder if there are any budgets for maintenance,
o
r whether they are diverted into private pockets.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

There is probably such a thing as maintenance budget, but given "trickle down" budgeting disbursement methods, doubt anything gets to point where might do some actual good.

I think whatever budget maintenance there might be "trickles" into the back pockets of those responsible for distributing it.

I drove up Highway 9 (Kanchanapisek Road) the other day. Stuck in traffic, I noticed that the covers which are supposed to keep the rain out from the interior winching mechanism are missing on about half of the center lights. The winches are rusting inside and will soon stop working meaning that defective lights will no longer be able to be changed. Talk about spoiling the ship for a 'haporth of tar.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:34 AM, retarius said:

I drove up Highway 9 (Kanchanapisek Road) the other day. Stuck in traffic, I noticed that the covers which are supposed to keep the rain out from the interior winching mechanism are missing on about half of the center lights. The winches are rusting inside and will soon stop working meaning that defective lights will no longer be able to be changed. Talk about spoiling the ship for a 'haporth of tar.

" spoiling the ship for a 'haporth of tar."

it's the same with Bali Hai Marina. It took them a long time to  lift out the  badly damaged walkways with a huge crane because in some cases they had been left upside down in the ocean for months and months and some of the components even broke off and started floating out offshore (which they then had to go and rescue and bring back)then they had to store them on land and now they are repairing them to put them back :blink:

Edited by Asiantravel

Having spent my career as a "maintenance technician" before i retired in 2010 I am not surprised by that news

"Mainenance" contracts do not make the profits for a company, building new facilities at an extravagent cost does.

In my carreer all over  the world I spent time correcting the mistakes by "engineers" whose salary was higher than mine.

"Maintenance" contracts do not make the profits for high visability international companies that new costrucion contracts do.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:06 PM, Brer Fox said:

agreed.  as a system engineer with 35 years of experience in many industries, one thing that quickly stood out to me in my trips to Thailand was the lack of maintenance and sustainment both in large and small scale things, both private and public.  Hotels I first stayed in back in 2005 have gotten worse and worse year after year.  Often the foreign owner simply is not reinvesting any money back into the place and this seems pretty common.  Thai official government projects go the same way.  As the economy waxes and wanes or tourism dollars come and go or the political offices change, nobody knows where the monies or budget goes.  Nothing is transparent

On 12/30/2016 at 1:46 PM, Pdaz said:

No surprises. Only have to look at the average house to know that maintenance is a non existent concept here.

Ongoing mechanical or electrical maintenance is just as rare. That added to the poor initial quality and the low balled/brown envelope bidding process is a recipe for failure..

Yet people still keep recommending that TV members buy condos

1 minute ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Hence multiple stories over the years about American infrastructure failure, leading to Trump's promises on the matter

oh yeah.  similar things happen in the USA.  Bridges and cluverts built back during the FDR WPA projects are worn out.  Highways tired, electric utility grids some better than others.  Gas pipelines, etc.  But the USA has more laws and liability leveling things than Thailand will ever do

9 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

oh yeah.  similar things happen in the USA.  Bridges and cluverts built back during the FDR WPA projects are worn out.  Highways tired, electric utility grids some better than others.  Gas pipelines, etc.  But the USA has more laws and liability leveling things than Thailand will ever do

The problem is a political one in the US and other First World countries - announcements about new infrastructure are sexy, providing politicians with photo ops, preferably in hi-viz jackets, to win future votes or consolidate existing support whereas maintenance ... {yawn}

In the Third World it's more opaque - announcements about new infrastructure are still sexy, providing politicians with photo ops, preferably in hi-viz jackets, but they celebrate kickbacks and other forms of corruption that have enriched them whereas maintenance ... not much money for kickbacks for maintenance

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Having spent my career as a "maintenance technician" before i retired in 2010 I am not surprised by that news

"Mainenance" contracts do not make the profits for a company, building new facilities at an extravagent cost does.

In my carreer all over  the world I spent time correcting the mistakes by "engineers" whose salary was higher than mine.

"Maintenance" contracts do not make the profits for high visability international companies that new costrucion contracts do.

Inaccurate. Have you ever read a  construction infrastructure proposal including budget? Seriously, have you? There is an amount declared for the actual  physical asset and there is an amount declared for ongoing maintenance including scheduled overhauls and replacements.  I have just reviewed a small manufacturing project of approximately US$40 million. The engineers and plant managers  set out the projected costs including testing and commissioning, and the HVAC balancing.  I see the  maintenance budget including the the  reserves for  required  production machinery overhaul. 

On a more basic level,  Schindler, Mitsubishi, Otis all have  service and maintenance contracts in place for their escalators and elevators in Thailand. You see them at the large hotels. And those maintenance contracts  have scheduled overhauls and  regular maintenance. These service contracts  generate profits over time.  Have a look at the   BTS contracts on the  rolling stock and engines. There is an ongoing service and maintenance component. Siemens  isn't a charity. The hospitals all have  expensive  equipment sold by  Phillips, GE, Mistsubishi, Sony etc. and you can be assured that servicing and maintenance is part of the purchase contract.

Now, there may be deficiencies in the Thai approach on government contracts, and if you know how these projects are managed, so be it. I do know that the larger Thai private companies including those with significant foreign ownership have  standards and requirements. You can be assured that a hotel branded by Hilton or Sheraton has enforced maintenance contracts.

As mentioned in previous comments, it is interesting for Westerners to observe a common sight in Thailand ( also in many other under-developed countries) where maintenance does not seem to be in the foresight or part of the culture... Wait for the thing to fall apart or worse yet, people to die from lack of maintenance  then build new. It does not make sense to me. I can see the opportunity for maintenance funds to be use for another "purpose". An example of this lack of planning for maintenance was a few years ago city-hall had no maintenance for for making repairs along the beach promenade... so after they "make new", it gradually becomes an eye-sore shambles until city officials decide to "make new" again.  For most of us, we know the importance of keeping up maintenance on ones home or car-in the long run you save tons of money. This does not seem to be in the thinking of most Thais. It it is spanking brand new, fine. If something is "old" do not spend money repairing it.