Further clarification re:TM28 required

There's so much discussion on this but nothing is really clear.  Does anyone know whether the statement on the form "Your LOCAL POLICE STATION must be notified of any change of address within 24 hours" really means your local police station or do they mean local Immigration Police office?    Also, if like me you are here on an annual Visa Extension frequently misnamed the "Retirement Visa", do you really have to tell Immigration every time you go away from your own home to another part of Thailand - NOT leaving the country, just the province?  So stupid, say you decide on the spur of the moment to stay overnight at a friends because you had a bit too much to drink and don't want to drive home.   Should you tell the local Immigration that you stayed overnight and then later the same day report your return to your own Immigration office which could be less than 100Km away from the other one?  

Why oh why can't Immigration nationally make CLEAR and sensible rules for all of us "aliens" - though I guess the latter is a totally unreasonable request since TIT!

Edited by pollyog

The TM28 form is normally only needed if you change your permanent address.

There might be a few police stations that would accept one but you might have to do another one at immigration if you went there.

There so some odd immigration offices stating they want  people to report if the travel to another part of the count but the majority do not want it.

My local immigration has never asked for a TM28 or a TM30 in more than eight years I have been on extensions. I have stayed in hotels that I am certain reported me also and  never a problem. Only a few offices even bother to check to see if you have been reported as staying in a hotel.

• Like 1